Multiple people shot outside of Empire State Building

V said it best. "The truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country."

I'm not gonna lie, I've been kind of on edge when I've been out in public lately. This really is madness. Oh, and of course tonight is the night I've decided to go see TDKR at a secure gov't bldg.

I used to work right on that street where it happened, my office just moved uptown a few months ago.

This is insane...

so for only teh gunmen was shot dead on the street by cops. The news is saying that it might have been a feud between coworkers.

Crazy people is nothing new...

And around and around we go when it stops blah blah blah. The summer of shootings marches on......so sad.

The news seems to be making a big deal out of this. It's basically just another shooting in NYC. But this just happened to take place in a very busy area.

Any shooting or violence taking place in Manhattan takes precedence over any other place in the city. That is just common knowledge.

It's not a typical day in Manhattan...

Any shooting or violence taking place in Manhattan takes precedence over any other place in the city. That is just common knowledge.
Yea but no one cares about the other burroughs. Because it was midtown manhattan the news jumped the gunned and mentioned if it coulda been terrorists. But if this same shooting happened in Brooklyn, it wouldnt be breaking news.

Yeah I know and that story is more sad but it wasnt breaking news.

Every shooting is sad. It was the top news this morning before this happened and given the coverage it needed. Now another story - this one involving 10 people in a busy tourist/commuter area - took over the newsfeed. That's just how it works, it doesn't make one worse than the other, since both a tragic.

I guess the point i was trying to make was that as soon as this happened, tv shows were preempted and because the news didnt know all the facts yet it was mostly speculation saying multiple people were shot, there might have been more suspects, terrorists etc.

And now it turns out it was just an isolated incident.

This is awful news as always but yeah...like 10 people die in Chicago every week but nobody cares. I think it's because this area isn't a crime filled area so it's a bit shocking because no one expected it. People expect gang violence in Chicago.

This is awful news as always but yeah...like 10 people die in Chicago every week but nobody cares. I think it's because this area isn't a crime filled area so it's a bit shocking because no one expected it. People expect gang violence in Chicago.

Agreed. It's always messed up when an innocent bystander gets shot and killed but this happens all the time. It doesnt warrant all channels to be covering this live for 2+ hours.

I guess the point i was trying to make was that as soon as this happened, tv shows were preempted and because the news didnt know all the facts yet it was mostly speculation saying multiple people were shot, there might have been more suspects, terrorists etc.

And now it turns out it was just an isolated incident.

It looks like it was a disgruntled employee who was fired from his job at the Empire State Building who turned up in the lobby and started shooting, and the shooting spilled out into the street.

I worked on that street for 10 years, and never once witnessed a shooting, so it's not typical, even for Manhattan, and it would make the news. Especially in a busy tourist/work area during the morning commute when there are tons of people around.

The shooting in Brooklyn happened at 1am, so there were no shows to interrupt, and it just led off the news this morning, and by then there was time to sort out what had happened and report it calmly and not jump to all kinds of conclusions that the breaking news like this does.

All of the shootings are tragic. A little boy lost his life, and at least one person lost his life and others were injured at the hands of this morning. It's all equally senseless.

I'm just saying that I hate how the news is basically all speculation and conjecture. When the story first broke I was thinking the worst because of they way they were "reporting" this. On the local ABC news they initially reported taht a person was hit by a stray bullet in a drug store across the street. All based on some witness' account. But later turned out to be a hoax.

This is a sad story none the less but its really just a 10 minute story on the evening news and no need for all this live coverage on all channels. Its news like this that causes people to panic.

CRAP!! When will this madness stop??!!

Man seems like there is another shooting every week on the news. We Americans love our guns a bit too much

I'm just saying that I hate how the news is basically all speculation and conjecture. When the story first broke I was thinking the worst because of they way they were "reporting" this. On the local ABC news they initially reported taht a person was hit by a stray bullet in a drug store across the street. All based on some witness' account. But later turned out to be a hoax.

This is a sad story none the less but its really just a 10 minute story on the evening news and no need for all this live coverage on all channels. Its news like this that causes people to panic.

That's any breaking news story, that's not limited to this. Look back at the thread when the Aurora shooting first happened, and they were getting all kinds of crazy information from the news as that was developing. The victims were all kids, there was a bomb, he was dressed up as Bane, etc...

The media is terrible at it, because they take anything and everything they can get and report it just to have something on the air (I heard the call with the Duane Reade hoax too), but it is an important breaking news story that needs more than 10 minutes on the air.

Until they knew that the shooter was down, there was a possibility that there was still a danger in the city, it's causing streets to be closed down and there's a huge police presence in midtown right now. They're lousy at breaking the right news right away, but they do have a responsibility to let people know why these things are happening. This isn't a typical morning in NY.

I'm uptown right now, and no one's in a panic. Just checking the news to see what's going on. I'm still seeing TDKR again after work tonight. :up:

That's any breaking news story, that's not limited to this. Look back at the thread when the Aurora shooting first happened, and they were getting all kinds of crazy information from the news as that was developing. The victims were all kids, there was a bomb, he was dressed up as Bane, etc...

The media is terrible at it, because they take anything and everything they can get and report it just to have something on the air (I heard the call with the Duane Reade hoax too), but it is an important breaking news story that needs more than 10 minutes on the air.

Until they knew that the shooter was down, there was a possibility that there was still a danger in the city, it's causing streets to be closed down and there's a huge police presence in midtown right now. They're lousy at breaking the right news right away, but they do have a responsibility to let people know why these things are happening. This isn't a typical morning in NY.

I'm uptown right now, and no one's in a panic. Just checking the news to see what's going on. I'm still seeing TDKR again after work tonight. :up:

Yeah and same with that explosion that happened in 2nd Ave. a few days ago. But really I wish the news can gather actual facts before reporting it and not just linger on for hours if no real info.

I'm just a little peeved that I missed Sofia Vergara on Live with Kelly.

I really don't know what to say at this point after another shooting.

I don't see anything changing it looks like its becoming a part of daily life in America which is sad.
And that's why the biggest local story before this happened was about a 13-year-old boy being shot and killed in Brooklyn this morning. :dry:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/24/police-13-year-old-shot-killed-in-brooklyn/
A kid getting shot dead over here is usually headline news.

Kids being shot are not normal everyday things that just happen over here so its bigger news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"