Multiple people shot outside of Empire State Building

I can see the ESB from my office, albeit only the top 20 floors. Still hearing helicopters around. I watched the press conference, case seems to be under control and should be summed up by the end of today or sometime tomorrow.

Yea but no one cares about the other burroughs. Because it was midtown manhattan the news jumped the gunned and mentioned if it coulda been terrorists. But if this same shooting happened in Brooklyn, it wouldnt be breaking news.

How ignorant are you? If some guy opened fire randomly at 10 people in any of the boroughs it's going to be breaking news.

Anyway, it seems like every other week this **** is happening.

This is awful news as always but yeah...like 10 people die in Chicago every week but nobody cares. I think it's because this area isn't a crime filled area so it's a bit shocking because no one expected it. People expect gang violence in Chicago.

They expect it in the gang infested areas of Chicago, if this happened in front of the Sears Tower or John Hancock building it'd get the same amount of coverage.

How ignorant are you? If some guy opened fire randomly at 10 people in any of the boroughs it's going to be breaking news.

Anyway, it seems like every other week this **** is happening.

Again, shootings like this in the other boroughs didn't have the news interrupt tv shows to go live in the Bronx when a kid and several others were shot. That story wasnt reported on teh news until their regular news broadcasts.

Whenever they think a white person might be shot, they send out a team of reporters to the scene and go live. But if it's a minority, the networks will have a news brief in the commercials to say we'll have the story at the 6 o'clock news.

But I do understand that this happened near the Empire State Building so of course it'll be a big story no matter what.

So this is basically a case of a disgruntled employee.

So this is basically a case of a disgruntled employee.

Yeah, he was apparently got fired from his job and came back and shot a co-worker he'd been fighting with (it may have been his boss). It's being reported that they were fighting prior to the shooting. A construction worker saw it and told two cops patrolling nearby, and when they approached him, he took out the gun and started shooting. The cops shot back - it's possible that some of the others who'd been shot were hit by the police in the crossfire - and they wound up killing the shooter.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/24/multiple-people-reported-shot-near-empire-state-building/

Again, it happened in front of a major NY tourist attraction (the observation deck of the ESB opens at 8am, so there were already people on line waiting to get in) in midtown during the morning rush hour, so that's why it's getting so much coverage, particularly this morning as the news was still coming in and the possibility that shooter was loose in the city.

"It was like CSI, but it was real."
...thank you, Rebecca. Did they arrive by car too? But, real cars, I mean.

Turned out most of the other people shot were shot accidentally by the police while trying to get the shooter....wow

The shooter was only targeting one guy.

As other people have said, this wouldn't have gotten so much coverage had it not been in Midtown Manhattan.

Last edited:
I wonder if the NYPD and those cops will get sued by the innocent bystanders they accidentally shot.

Video of the cops killing the gunman.

http://gawker.com/5937796/nypd-release-footage-of-shootout-with-empire-state-building-gunman

In all honesty, I can't blame the cops for accidentally shooting passerbys. It's easy to second guess and say that they had a clear shot but in the heat of the moment and your adrenaline rushing, I can't imagine not being scared. I'm just grateful that no one was more critically injured.

Hmm this now raises even more questions. I didn't think that the cops were that close. At that close range, teh officers let off 16 rounds to bring him down? And 9 bystanders were shot in the process? But yea I get that the cops were scared and all but they were trained for these situations. Fortunately, no one else was killed.

It's incredibly difficult not to have collateral damage when you have to stop an active gunman in a highly populated area.

Thankfully none of those accidentally fired on died (for the exception of the gunman and his victim of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"