Beverly Hills Cop: Axel Foley

If they can go back to what made Beverly Hills Cop so good I would love to see it. Murphy has to be reminded why he was so good in the first place. He seems more like Jim Carrey lately with his overthetop voices and facial expressions. This definitely has potential to revive Murphys career or the last nail in his comedy coffin.
I agree with you here 100%

Id love to see this film if its anything like the first two films. The third one wasnt that great.

Taggert needs to be back. Have the next one take place while hes on vacation or something

I didn't like two or three, but one was great

On the SHH! main page, one article says that director Brett Ratner has confirmed that "BHC4" is his next project, and that he is "very close" to getting the green light from Paramount Pictures.

Personally, I'd love to see the main trio back in full force - Murphy, Reinhold, and Ashton. It'd be cool to have Ronny Cox back as Bogimil, either in full or as a cameo.

Cops movies are out of touch lately I think he should do an other movie like trading places. With wall street not doing well this days this is a good time for Trading Places 2.

Also coming to America2 with a cameo appearance of Obama (what? he is already star to me :yay:).

Exclusive: Beverly Hills Cop IV Story Details!!

By Kellvin Chavez on December 1, 2008

With everything 1980's being either made, remade, or re-imagined, one of our favorite readers and insiders who we haven't heard from in a hot minute, EL CHAVO has the goods on Eddie Murphy's 80's update of Beverly Hills Cop 4. Written by Michael Brandt and Derek Haas, to be directed by Brett Ratner and produced by Lorenzo "Action Man" DiBonaventura (taking over for Jerry Bruckheimer), Beverly Hills Cop IV is slated to be released in 2010.

Here is the scoop: The studio loves the draft but Eddie Murphy is not too keen on it.

Released in 1984, the original “Beverly Hills Cop” grossed $316 million worldwide and spawned two sequels. All told, the three pics grossed $712.9 million worldwide. The last was released in 1994.

We are working on scoring details for other 1980's sequels and remakes. In the meantime, El Chavo chimes in with his thoughts below...

It's been 15 years since Axel Foley was last in Beverly Hills, and screenwriters Michael Brandt and Derek Haas needed a good reason to bring him back. That reason comes just a couple of pages into the latest script for Beverly Hills Cop IV (which calls itself Beverly Hills Cop 2009) - Judge Reinhold's Billy Rosewood takes a leap out the 20th story of the Los Angeles Police HQ. When Axel hears that his former partner and best buddy became sidewalk salad he knows it wasn't a suicide and he flies to Beverly Hills to get all the facts for himself.

I thought that Beverly Hills Cop 2009 would be a Bad Boys II style movie with all endless car chases and explosions. Brandt and Haas keep it all old school for the most part though, with a small shoot out and chase in the opening and then no more action for like 50 pages until Axel gets into a small fistfight with some East LA gangbangers. Unfortunately, a lot of the **** in the middle is way boring. The whole problem with another Beverly Hills Cop movie is that the basic idea that Axel Foley is this rough and tumble Detroit cop who is a fish out water in upscale Beverly Hills is played out. He's done a lot of time in Beverly Hills. In this movie they mention that they teach his cases at the police academy and that a restaurant had an Axel Foley sandwich on the menu! (It's been renamed the Timbaland) Axel Foley knows his way around LA better than his new partner on the case who was born there.

That new partner is Goodwin, a fat rookie with low self-esteem who has a crush on a lady cop in the facial recognition department. When he's not solving the mystery of who tossed Billy out the window, Axel is playing matchmaker with these two. He's also teaching Goodwin how to be a better cop. It's like the Axel Foley Finishing School.

Along with Goodwin, Axel teams up with a limo driver named Elliot, who is the wise cracking comic relief. You wouldn't think you would need comic relief in an Eddie Murphy movie, but Axel Foley has no funny lines. I don't know if Brandt and Haas wrote the character unfunny to give Eddie room to ad lib or if they just think having him drop f-bombs every third line is the height of laughs, but Axel Foley is pretty much a Terminator in this movie. He just keeps moving forward no matter what like a shark in the water trying to find out who killed Billy.

It turns out that Billy was learning about a group of corrupt LAPD officers who were involved with gun running with a Beverly Hills rich kid who has ties to the military. The mystery isn't that big a deal, and Axel mostly gets from place to place by half-assedly conning people. He makes up a fake story about who he is and then doesn't follow through on it. It's like Brandt and Haas saw the first BHC and just didn't have the energy to write anything that matched up to it.

The really weird thing is that Axel Foley just isn't a character in this movie. In the opening he's followed a suspect into Canada and is illegally extraditing him, and from there he never takes a breather to be anything but a supercop. It's almost like the writers took an Arnold Schwarzenneger script they had lying around and changed the details to make it a Beverly Hills Cop movie. There's no fun in it.

The basic story of Beverly Hills Cop 2009 isn't terrible. It's a pretty standard police corruption story that has a personal edge for Axel Foley, and Brandt and Haas make it feel like an 80s action film by keeping the action more grounded, even though the final fight does include RPGs. But there's no fun in the movie and it feels like it needs another draft to make the film an Axel Foley adventure and not a generic cop getting revenge picture.

Overall C+

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-beverly-hills-cop-iv-story-details-5787

Hahaha! Beverly Hills Cop 4: So Very Tired

Were we find our hero Axel Foley STILL in that friggin' theme park from the third movie... Tryin to find the exit. Taking the occasional nap on a park bench and stealing Candy Floss from little kids to keep his strength up...

Ugh! I am so down for Beverly Hills 4 but you dont get rid of his supporting cast, or if you do you dont team him up with a fat rookie cop and a limo driver.

The idea of Rosewood suicide could be really interesting case, but I find someone better than fat cop and limo driver. Its like Die Hard but bad.

They really just need to give up now. The magic is gone.

Man, I don't know what to think of this project, anymore. As much as I love Mel, Danny, and the Lethal Weapons, I can comfortably say "no" to a new movie because Lethal Weapon 4 was a great send off for the series. Beverly Hills Cop is a bit more complicated. I would like to see a fourth to end the series on a high note, but I'm afraid too much time has passed and the wrong people are involved. It worked for Rocky, as Sylvester, the heart and soul of the series, put his heart and soul into the last movie, and it showed. I just don't see any heart from Eddie in doing this, much less from the other people involving themselves.

Man, oh man... it is possible to make a good BHC4, but I don't have faith in Eddie at this point. And Ratner can't be involved. At least Eddie still looks the part.

what a joke! killing Billy off? absolutely ridiculous.

he is the main reason, alongside Taggart as the comic relief in the first two.

They made Billy too slapstick though in the 3rd (remember that funny face he does at the door when Axel first meets him in his office?, awful!)

I wonder if they'll use the original theme or a new orchestral one similar to the third installment:

[YT]MKPvSdqlshw[/YT]

^ that was pretty good and I can see something similar working.

There is only one way to do the music on this movie, and its electro synth people!

Synths are now being heavily used in most music these days, and one of the reasons why the first 2 movies are so good, is because of the funky electro music by Harold Faltermeyer.

And luckily enough, Harold Faltermeyer is returning to Hollywood, so there is no reason not to ask him to do this 4th movie!

All I can say is, bring back Taggart, Rosewood and slap in some funky music, gritty drama and some decent shootouts, and plenty of swearing and the obligatory club scene with nudity, and they will definitely bring in the big bucks!

All they have to do is to ensure Eddie Murphy plays Axel Foley like he played him in parts 1 and 2.

Part 3 was way too slapstick and the grittyness of the first two was non existent.

Just watch the opening scene of Part 2, its got great music, great cowbell, and just great action!

Its not that hard to do a good Beverly Hills Cop movie.
It just needs writers who are willing to go balls out and just go for it, rather than go for a silly PG-13 rating.

I have faith in the writers, they wrote 3:10 to Yuma and Wanted which where pretty hard R.

I swear if any teenagers flood this thread with thier "It's not the rating but the story that matters" B.S. I'm turning into a mushroom-cloud-layin' mother****er!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"