My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

The collar is the elephant in the room. Ditch the collar, and the suit becomes a hundred times better.

Agreed. Given how the collar reminds me of the New 52 costume, I feel like the trunks really doesn't compliment with this particular design.

This one seems closest to what I imagine to be the final "feel" of the suit.
Not super tight, but not baggy/puffy either. Slightly padded on the shoulders and forearms to complement Corenswent's silhouette, but very soft at the stomach, to maintain a feeling of "simplicity".
I've never liked the New 52 collar, but I don't mind this one, which to me isn't quite the same thing...

Although I agree, in part, with @Glassjaw that the costume seems to belong to a different vision than the retro Metropolis we can guess in the set photos, I still think that despite its undeniable MCU influence, there's a possibility that the look hasn't "said it all yet".
When all is finally assembled on the screen, the suit in context and with the cinematography work, I can imagine it finally appearing as a kind of old-SF uniform.
And frankly, I like it!

To give some reference of what I'm talking about :

1719139819611.jpeg1719140022945.jpeg1719139891840.jpeg

Last edited:
There's such a gorgeous classic design feel in all the Metropolis signage we've been seeing, those trunks with a classic 'S' and old school suit material showing off David's build would have been perfect. A higher budget version of this would fit right in;

SupermanAndLoisHeader.jpg

The Captain America military suit, minimalist Kingdom Come S and collar so obviously new 52 inspired, it feels like such a miss match. Would love to be proven wrong in the next shots we get.
Agreed on it feeling like a weird mis match... but I'm also very open to the idea that the perception we have of the suit from images so far isn't 100% accurate. Like, I think it might be less jarring in context, motion or even just a clear shot.

I hope so anyway 😅

Get rid of the trunks. Makes him look like he's headed to some club in San Fran.
I think most folks (via Cavill and Hoechlin) are now used to the sans trunks look. And the classic “briefs” (because of their long history) would be equally acceptable. But I’m less certain about a “boxers” or “boy shorts” style. True Fans™ would get and appreciate the artistic allusion (to Darwyn Cooke, to others). But a general audience might be… distracted by Supes’ new underwear fashion.

I'm so excited to see trunks and nicely shaped ones. Oh man...I have been sucked back into the excitement void...I promised my self I wouldn't.

It's not perfect, but it gave me almost every element I wanted. Thrilled to bits.

GQ2t74kXAAAGlS3
Given the different collar, I think it is all but confirmed that the reveal photo was the doppelganger and that there will be subtle differences between the two suits like in Superman 3. I would bet the other suit is also darker in colour.

Given the different collar, I think it is all but confirmed that the reveal photo was the doppelganger and that there will be subtle differences between the two suits like in Superman 3. I would bet the other suit is also darker in colour.
I really don't think that's going to be the case. I don't think we are getting evil Superman this quickly. I would bet on that.

I really don't think that's going to be the case. I don't think we are getting evil Superman this quickly. I would bet on that.
I hear you, but the evidence is pretty clear. Gunn didn't shoot down the rumour in his usual way. Also, the reveal photo clearly shows a suit with a totally different collar design and has Corenswet with the bleached eyebrows:
https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2024%2F05%2F06%2Fjames-gunn-david-corenswet-superman-suit-debut-001.jpg

So, now that we have more revealing, detailed pictures of what the suit looks like:
~ I think the colors look fantastic. Both Superman Returns and Man of Steel, in my opinion, suffered from a suit that was too dark, and this version color wise shines
~ I still don't like the neckline. The collar is way too high and justice makes his head look small
~ it still looks like he has shoulder pads, which is weird to see on a Superman suit
~ the suit around his midsection makes it looks bulky comment i'm not a big fan of that, and you can see around his wrists how thick the suit itself is, and I do think that may pose a I do think the thickness of the suit does hinder it a bit
~ I love that the suit has the yellow's on the cape. I'm glad they chose to add that.

Overall, the suit has its strengths and its flaws, but overall, I think it's OK... originally I thought it was going to be terrible, but the fact that the colors are the way they are, that's a gigantic plus for me

I don't think so tbh. I think it's the same suit, just under different lighting + color grading.

I've accepted the collar. It makes his neck and traps look bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"