My Mom Made It For Me: The Superman Suit Thread

As much as I don't care about the collar and lines, I'll say this much. They definitely give it a unique identity when compared to previous motion picture costumes. These recent manips are more in line with what I'd personally like to see, but I gotta admit it makes them look a lil' more generic and less distinct from previous costumes.

As much as I don't care about the collar and lines, I'll say this much. They definitely give it a unique identity when compared to previous motion picture costumes. These recent manips are more in line with what I'd personally like to see, but I gotta admit it makes them look a lil' more generic and less distinct from previous costumes.

Yeah for new iterations I always appreciate a fresh take, at least at the start. It’s just more exciting to me.

Should this film be successful enough to start a franchise, then there's always hope that the costumes design will improve with future installments.

This suit has grown on me. Texture is nice, and the colors are bright. Hope it doesn't look as clunky or loose like it does in some of the photos--other photos look great, and looks like it fits well.

I don't mind the size of the S. Still don't care for the New 52 collar, but it doesn't look as bad as the New 52 collar itself from the comics. The shape doesn't look all terrible, and I like that both sides curve down the front of his neck.

On the Kingdom Come logo--it's not that I hate the logo or dislike it, but I am still advocating for a more traditional and recognizable 'S'. I liked it for Kingdom Come and even liked it in the CW Crisis crossover with Brandon Routh. Not that all versions of the 'S' look like the standard official logo you see in most Superman merchandise. I wish the Reeve logo had looked more like the standard version. Why did they not use the version of the 'S' from the opening credits? In conclusion though, the Kingdom Come logo has always looked like a backward 'Z' to me more than an 'S'
\Z/ (Just picture that in reverse) and I simply still would have gone for a more traditional 'S'. But...you could argue that the KC logo just looks like there are two irregular yellow triangles inside the red diamond/pentagonal-shape. It's arguably too simplistic of a design. Just my opinion.

All in all, I'm liking the suit more.

This is definitely quite an upgrade. One side question though. With everyone making the manips, does anyone think the red trunks could be shortened?

This is definitely quite an upgrade. One side question though. With everyone making the manips, does anyone think the red trunks could be shortened?
Nope, the current length looks nice and masculine. You lower the waistline and it throws all of the proportions off like we saw with Routh's SR costume.

Doesn't a backwards Z basically become an S?
This suit has grown on me. Texture is nice, and the colors are bright. Hope it doesn't look as clunky or loose like it does in some of the photos--other photos look great, and looks like it fits well.

I don't mind the size of the S. Still don't care for the New 52 collar, but it doesn't look as bad as the New 52 collar itself from the comics. The shape doesn't look all terrible, and I like that both sides curve down the front of his neck.

On the Kingdom Come logo--it's not that I hate the logo or dislike it, but I am still advocating for a more traditional and recognizable 'S'. I liked it for Kingdom Come and even liked it in the CW Crisis crossover with Brandon Routh. Not that all versions of the 'S' look like the standard official logo you see in most Superman merchandise. I wish the Reeve logo had looked more like the standard version. Why did they not use the version of the 'S' from the opening credits? In conclusion though, the Kingdom Come logo has always looked like a backward 'Z' to me more than an 'S'
\Z/ (Just picture that in reverse) and I simply still would have gone for a more traditional 'S'. But...you could argue that the KC logo just looks like there are two irregular yellow triangles inside the red diamond/pentagonal-shape. It's arguably too simplistic of a design. Just my opinion.

Nope, the current length looks nice and masculine. You lower the waistline and it throws all of the proportions off like we saw with Routh's SR costume.
Totally agree about the Returns suit. As for Corenswet's trunks though, I don't know--maybe it could be shortened slightly? It does look a little big when he's walking around. Having said that though, I think Brandon Routh's Kingdom Come suit was a massive improvement from the Returns suit. I was way younger when 'Returns' came out, but when I saw the first photo of Routh in the suit, I was being optimistic and just excited we were getting a new Superman movie after almost 20 years---but the film turned out to be a gigantic disappointment as a result.

When I first saw Routh's picture though, in the back of my mind, I was a little disappointed, and I tried to hide those feelings. Routh looked somewhat silly in the 'Returns' suit. The small boots, the gap between his trunks and chest...the almost miniature-sized 'S' shield, the shield being so far down the neckline in that tight collar, and the cape line from the shoulders--and God, that cape was terrible. The color. Ugh. I just accepted it though. Looking back on it now, I have more criticism for the Returns suit. It could have been worse though.

The Superman suits that I have been most impressed by however are Reeve's suit, Hoechilin's suit from season 3 of S&L and his Max Fleisher suit, Routh's Kingdom Come suit, and the two red and blue costumes worn by Cavill.

I think all those suits I mentioned above were fairly-well designed. The positioning, size of the S, neckline, the shoulder cape line, the height of the boots, and placement of the red trunks (excluding Cavill's suits).

Routh's Kingdom Come suit was the best and most Superman-looking suit I had seen since Reeve's suit. i was impressed. The bright colors. The red trunks, albeit I thought those trunk were way too big and really stood out making it distracting at times. The boots however were still too small. All in all though, it was a great Superman suit. Classic. Routh looked so much more like Superman than he did in 'Returns'. Those small trunks, boots and S in 'Returns' made Routh look silly at times.

Hoechilin's suit from Supergirl is one of the worst. I wish they got rid of those cape shoulder, plastic-looking cuffs a long time ago when Hoechilin made more guest appearances on Supergirl.

Hoechilin's suit in season 1 of Superman & Lois though...the flat chest looked unnatural and awkward to say the least. The 'S' I liked. Slightly small though. Didn't like the neckline or how the cape was positioned from the shoulders. Still wish the boots could have stood a little closer to the knees. Season 3's suit looked much bette. While I liked the 3D popping 'S' on the suit, I hate the muted colors. But Hoechilin's body looked so much better and more natural than it did when he was wearing that body suit. Finally, he had a lower neckline which was also an improvement to me.

So those are just my thoughts. I don't know where I'd rank Cain's costume.

I dont like the collar but i will get used to it, dont have a problem with folds around the elbow. But it makes me angry that the torso is baggy and having folds while he is STANDING straight. I am shocked just how thick the fabrick looks.
0MnOgYC.jpeg

I didn't know the suit had to be skintight for some people lol
Some people are more used to seeing the overall muscular look for Superman, because that's how he's mostly portrayed in the comics... I don't want to see a roided out Superman, but at the same time, I'd rather not have his suit fold in on itself the moment he bends down just a little bit... I think a happy medium can be found between those two views

I love the set leaks much more than the big reveal although I liked that too. That bright blue is such a lovely almost baby blanket shade of blue that’s so comforting and perfect for Superman

I'm not quite sure what to make of the suit. There's bits I like about it, and bits I don't like. I'm trying to withhold judgment until I see it in action in a trailer or similar as I know there will likely be a lot of changes made in editing with regards to creases and colour and so on.

Corenswet does look good though, his height and build are pretty much spot-on. Not a bodybuilder look, but tall, broad, a little chiselled looking and good posture. Superman in the comics is usually drawn with really good posture, standing very straight and upright, as he should.

I dont like the collar but i will get used to it, dont have a problem with folds around the elbow. But it makes me angry that the torso is baggy and having folds while he is STANDING straight. I am shocked just how thick the fabrick looks.
0MnOgYC.jpeg
I didn't know the Ghostbusters were in this also. I'll be damn.

The neckline looks 100X better than it did in the first official reveal which was one of my biggest complaints. Even though I'm not a fan of the "collar" design it's not as bad as it originally looked.

However, I'm going through an internal struggle of liking it then not liking it. There is something else about it that I just cant quite put my thumb on. Maybe it's the loose fitment it appears to have in some photos? Maybe it's the colors? Maybe its the lack of pronounced muscle definition?
I dont know... Something is bothering me enough that its annoying and I'm not sure what it is.

The neckline looks 100X better than it did in the first official reveal which was one of my biggest complaints. Even though I'm not a fan of the "collar" design it's not as bad as it originally looked.

However, I'm going through an internal struggle of liking it then not liking it. There is something else about it that I just cant quite put my thumb on. Maybe it's the loose fitment it appears to have in some photos? Maybe it's the colors? Maybe its the lack of pronounced muscle definition?
I dont know... Something is bothering me enough that its annoying and I'm not sure what it is.

I've been thinking about this also and I think it's that the belt and top of trunks area is quite high. This in turns makes the abdomen area look smaller than normal. Other Superman suits (for comparison's sake) had a longer looking area where the abs are, between the S badge in the chest and the waist - asides from the 1978 one, which had a similarly short abs area. However, Reeve's costume was skintight spandex and he was quite slim so the effect probably wasn't as noticeable.

Coupled with the slightly baggy and thick material of the 2024 suit, and it has this weird effect of making Corenswet's torso looking shorter and chunkier than expected for someone his height. A good comparison below is with Routh - Corenswet is taller, but Routh's body looks longer in the suit.

suits.jpg

I love the bagginess of the suit. It looks more like a kryptonian space outfit. An alien astronaut crash landed on earth. It will most likely be slimmed down in post but as long as they stay away from muscle padding I’m happy lol.
In my arms !

I've been thinking about this also and I think it's that the belt and top of trunks area is quite high. This in turns makes the abdomen area look smaller than normal. Other Superman suits (for comparison's sake) had a longer looking area where the abs are, between the S badge in the chest and the waist - asides from the 1978 one, which had a similarly short abs area. However, Reeve's costume was skintight spandex and he was quite slim so the effect probably wasn't as noticeable.

Coupled with the slightly baggy and thick material of the 2024 suit, and it has this weird effect of making Corenswet's torso looking shorter and chunkier than expected for someone his height. A good comparison below is with Routh - Corenswet is taller, but Routh's body looks longer in the suit.

View attachment 94629

It's interesting how we can each get different sensations from the same product.
In my opinion, it's precisely because the trunks go up high that they don't feel like briefs. It really gives me the feeling of the strongman suits from the time of the character's creation.
Same thing with the loose-fit: personally, even in comics, I prefer it when the characters aren't drawn like Greek statues. And with Superman, I particularly like it when his costume has that fabric feel, with a few folds, etc.

1719325206483.jpeg1719325325207.jpeg

These design choices, which reinforce Corenswet's chunky look, are really why I like this costume in the end, despite the little MCUesque details here and there.
It's got that beefy Superman thing going for it, like when Darwyn Cooke or Tim Sale drew him.

1719325419356.jpeg1719325947133.jpeg

Coupled with what we saw from Metropolis streets, there's definitely a "retro" feel going on, which was my wish for this new iteration.
In action, I can imagine that this one being ultimately reminiscent of Superman TAS or even the Fleisher series... which are my personal gold standards.

1719326098780.png1719326111446.jpeg
1719326539883.png1719326991391.png

In addition to my previous comment here, I seen someone else on another forum mention "The suit, especially the top, looks more like a Marvel Jacket suit material similar to Starlord, Captain America etc." Like it appears to be of a thicker canvas type material and that may be why it wrinkles and doesn't have the "Muscle" definition we are mostly used to seeing on Superman. After reading that comment, that may very well be that issue that stands out that I haven't been able to quite put my thumb on.

Just some little tweaks i did of my own that would take this suit over that hump imo
View attachment 94690

That’s nice but I really think in motion, piping, folds, etc are so unbelievably minimal when it comes to a viewer’s attention.

The broad strokes are doing their job

Last edited:

View attachment 94629
Must. Resist. Comparing. Bulge sizes!

The new photos only make me more meh on the suit. Color is on point, but that's the only redeeming quality to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"