My therory on "The Cure"....

Hulk1968

An agent of chaos...
Joined
Apr 8, 2003
Messages
804
Reaction score
0
Points
11
OKAY...don't know if this has been touched before, but what if the so called "cure" is only temporary? What about the last scene of a powerless Magneto w/ the chess board? Did anyone else notice him wave his hand over the chess board and a playing piece moved? Or was I seeing things? Remember the scenes with Beast, Kitty and Juggernaut in the same room w/ the mutant kid and their mutations were momentarily 'shut off'? What if the cure wears off? Interesting theory...
 
I think mutants biological eventually works around the "cure"
Or to quote another movie "Nature finds a way"
 
Hulk1968 said:
OKAY...don't know if this has been touched before, but what if the so called "cure" is only temporary? What about the last scene of a powerless Magneto w/ the chess board? Did anyone else notice him wave his hand over the chess board and a playing piece moved? Or was I seeing things? Remember the scenes with Beast, Kitty and Juggernaut in the same room w/ the mutant kid and their mutations were momentarily 'shut off'? What if the cure wears off? Interesting theory...

I think that the cure only works on mutants that are below a tier 3...and Magneto was above that
 
Hulk1968 said:
OKAY...don't know if this has been touched before, but what if the so called "cure" is only temporary? What about the last scene of a powerless Magneto w/ the chess board? Did anyone else notice him wave his hand over the chess board and a playing piece moved?

No, I didn't notice that close up....;)
 
My theory is the cure works much like how you treat Lukemia etc. It goes into a short remission but eventually comes back over time. Which is an interesting angle. Treating it kind of like a disease.
 
Leechs powers aren't meant to work permanently, only while you are in his field. I think the cure will either wear off or it will just stay when it is convientent for writers. Magneto wil get his powers back because writers want to use his powers. Maybe Mystique. And Rogue is the one who wants the cure so maybe it will stay with her. Or hopefully it will reject Rogue and she finally become a badass in the movies.
 
GhostPoet said:
I think mutants biological eventually works around the "cure"
Or to quote another movie "Nature finds a way"

Jurassic Park, yeah...
 
Exploding Boy said:
Leechs powers aren't meant to work permanently, only while you are in his field. I think the cure will either wear off or it will just stay when it is convientent for writers. Magneto wil get his powers back because writers want to use his powers. Maybe Mystique. And Rogue is the one who wants the cure so maybe it will stay with her. Or hopefully it will reject Rogue and she finally become a badass in the movies.

__________________________________________________________________

That's what I was saying, as long as mutant is near him (Juggernaut for example), his powers would be "shut off" as long as he's near Leech. Once Leech leaves the vacinity, or vice versa, their powers would be restored to normal. The way I see it, it would be hard to permanently "cure" the mutation, just put it in "remission" and maybe let's say, a few months or @ least a year, then their powers would slowly return to normal levels. I'm glad you agree w/ me:) , Exploding Boy!!
 
i hope the cure doesn't just wear off... it has to have a reason...like magneto is just too powerful and it only weakened his powers...
 
Yeah, I figured the same thing about the "cure" only being temporary. I also think it has something to do with the level of the mutant and how many darts were used on them or how much they were injected with.

The only major mutants that got "cured" and survived through the end of the movie were Magneto, Mystique, and Rogue. Magneto got 4 darts, Mystique got 1, and Rogue was injected with however much. And by the end of the movie, Magneto started to get his powers back. So if Magneto's a level 4 and he got injected with 4 darts and he was able to start using his power by the end of the movie, then Mystique, who's about a class 4 should have her full powers back before Magneto. As far as Rogue, she'll be in the middle of doing Bobby and her powers will suddenly come back and she'll end up killing him. :eek: lol Rogue, in my opinion is about a class 2 at most. Now in the cartoon and comics she's about a 4, but unfortunately she hasn't been blessed with those other powers in the movies (which really sucks!).

I had another theory that either some mutant tampered with the cure or Apocolypse killed Angel's father, took his form and messed with the cure and made it make the mutants more powerful (not right away, but over time). Then Rogue would end up with all her powers. Cause let's face it, the chances that the movie people are going to go with the sucking of Ms. Marvel's powers probably isn't going to happen. This would give them a way out possibly. But that wouldn't really work, cause why would Apocolypse want to make any mutants more powerful? For my theory, it's just a way to make Angel hate Apocolypse like he does in the cartoon and comics.
 
I say rouge is probably class 4... so I think she'll be back... Mags will be back (cameo at most in the sequels) and that's about it... nevertheless... the cure did have a significant impact and supressed most who took it permanently...
 
I think it means the cure is not permanent. I hope it's not. With charles back, I want Mags there to duke it out with his x-men or it's just not the same. :(

somebody here argued that maybe mags was so powerful that he began regaining his power faster than others, and rogue and mystique who were cured long before him don't yet have any power back because of their lower level of power and maybe they never will. Thats interesting...

I think maybe in the extended cut that maybe we'll see rogue was cured after magneto and mystique might already have her powers back to some degree... heck we only saw a video shot of her there, and I don't think it was live so maybe she's somewhere in confinement or doing work while in her rebecca disguise?
 
Also, remember that the cure is officially gone. The scientists said they couldn't replicate it on their own, they needed Leech, so with him away from the labs, they can't make it again, without getting someone like him.

The cure is definitely temporary. If it's made from Leech's blood, and he only has a temporary affect on mutants, so does his blood.

What I hope they would do for the next story is include secondary mutations on those that were "cured" like they did in the comics when mutants' powers were stopped and then restarted. Rogue could get strength, Magneto could affect more than just metal, Mystique could turn invisible or something. That would be fun.
 
Was it just me or did Rogue get shafted in X3?
She never once used her powers and only had like 3 speaking parts.

I really hope if there is a X4 that it will focus on her finding out that the cure wasn't permanent and getting her strength and flying powers(it can work) and dealing with them.

That would be a great story arch!
 
I think they should explain in X4 that Magneto's mutant machine from X1 had an effect on Magneto, Mystique and Rogue since they were all exposed to the radiation (in X1) so therefore their powers will return.
 
Heres a little theory/hope i have that could be used in a future movie

Since the cure is based off another mutant, what if rogue could recover it since its just like another mutant power that she temperorally has. Then what if she could also suck out the cure from other cured mutants and give them back there powers making the cure just like another power blocking the cured the mutants power.

please comment
 
It will be stupid if the cure is temporary, it would make the whole movie pointless.

Plus, the film explicitly pointed out that the cure was indeed permanent.

Leech's power isn't permanent. Yes, it requires being within proximity, but as long as you are in that proximity, you are powerless. A minute, a day, a year, a lifetime.

If they take that DNA, and turn it into a cure, and inject it into you, then the power negation will be with you forever, therefore your power will be gone forever.

I see it as Leech being a low level mutant, and Magneto being a high level mutant, so Leech's powers don't have any affect on Magneto.
 
Or maybe, just maybe... they don't intend to make a fourth movie and threw in that last scene on a whim so you left the theatre all abuzz (just as the director has already said when interviewed)... in which case there's no reason in the plot for it to have happened. Just throwing it out there.
 
Nell2ThaIzzay said:
It will be stupid if the cure is temporary, it would make the whole movie pointless.

Plus, the film explicitly pointed out that the cure was indeed permanent.

Yes because everything a film says is gospel.

And how would it make the whole movie pointless? The point of it is that there was a cure that humans tried to introduce. It doesn't matter if it eventually wears off. the point of what humans tried to do to mutants is still there.
 
zer00 said:
Yes because everything a film says is gospel.

And how would it make the whole movie pointless? The point of it is that there was a cure that humans tried to introduce. It doesn't matter if it eventually wears off. the point of what humans tried to do to mutants is still there.

Well, when you're involved in a story, you can't assume that the information given to you is incorrect. That's bad storytelling. We were told, flat out, that the cure is permanent. There was no hinting that it could be or not. It was flat out, explicitly stated, that it is permanent.

So yes, in this case, everything the film says is gospel. That's like saying that Magneto doesn't have a relationship with Xavier, despite the fact that it's explicitly stated that he does, or that Xavier never put the mental blocks in Jean Grey's mind, even though the movie explicitly states that he did.

It would make the whole movie pointless, because if there was no permanent cure then A. they would have given us incorrect info, which is bad storytelling ("A major pharmacutical company has developed a way to supress the mutant X-Gene, permanently") and B. with no real cure, it would have made the Brotherhood's motives irrelevant for a cure that's just gonna wear off after a few days anyways. Sure, in Magneto's eyes, it might have been just, but in the eyes of the movie viewer, it's a totally pointless conflict.

For storytelling purposes, you don't introduce a threat, have a huge conflict over it, and make it a temporary threat. That is horrible storytelling.

The cure is permanent. We saw Rogue touch Bobby's hand, without any effects to Bobby. We saw Mystique still cured towards the end of the film. The only one that wasn't totally cured was Magneto. And that can show that he's too powerful for it. Which would make sense, since he is supposed to be one of the world's most powerful mutants.
 
Leech is only 13/14, if we go by the actor's age. That means that his powers probably didn't manifest so long ago. Add to that the time it would have taken for Worthington & Co. to find him, and you're not looking at a long period of testing. Certainly not long enough to ensure that the cure would not wear off after awhile. Not days, obviously, but months? Years? It is entirely possible that they simply hypothesized that the cure would be permanent, judging by reactions and mathematical equations. But they have no long term studies. So they can't be sure. Also, they probably didn't test it on many high level mutants (which for the sake of argument probably just means the main cast members), since it would have been hard for them to get their hands on too many of those. So the cure may work differently or for a shorter period of time for them.

It wouldn't be bad storytelling if they looked at it from an angle that would work with the information given in the film.
 
But the information given in the film is "developed a way to supress the mutant X-Gene, PERMANENTLY"

It's not some "They think they can permanently supress the X-Gene, but haven't done extensive enough research. But the mere thought disturbs me"

It's "supress the mutant X-Gene, PERMANENTLY"

We have to assume that the movie is actually telling us the story that they intend to tell.

Going back later, in another film or something, and retconning it and saying it's temporary is nothing more than a copout. The cure is permanent, they need to just go with it now. With the information given, we have to assume the scientists did all the research they needed to.
 
It doesn't make it pointless, what it does is give hope; Magneto is an awesome character, they can't just take away his powers and then have a sequel without him. They could have just killed him.

One way or another the cure is not a cure but something that suppresses a symptom for a temporary amount of time (and now the character will blame himself for the loss of his best friend).
 
Matthias said:
Yeah, I figured the same thing about the "cure" only being temporary. I also think it has something to do with the level of the mutant and how many darts were used on them or how much they were injected with.

The only major mutants that got "cured" and survived through the end of the movie were Magneto, Mystique, and Rogue. Magneto got 4 darts, Mystique got 1, and Rogue was injected with however much. And by the end of the movie, Magneto started to get his powers back. So if Magneto's a level 4 and he got injected with 4 darts and he was able to start using his power by the end of the movie, then Mystique, who's about a class 4 should have her full powers back before Magneto. As far as Rogue, she'll be in the middle of doing Bobby and her powers will suddenly come back and she'll end up killing him. :eek: lol Rogue, in my opinion is about a class 2 at most. Now in the cartoon and comics she's about a 4, but unfortunately she hasn't been blessed with those other powers in the movies (which really sucks!).

I had another theory that either some mutant tampered with the cure or Apocolypse killed Angel's father, took his form and messed with the cure and made it make the mutants more powerful (not right away, but over time). Then Rogue would end up with all her powers. Cause let's face it, the chances that the movie people are going to go with the sucking of Ms. Marvel's powers probably isn't going to happen. This would give them a way out possibly. But that wouldn't really work, cause why would Apocolypse want to make any mutants more powerful? For my theory, it's just a way to make Angel hate Apocolypse like he does in the cartoon and comics.
It would make sense for Rogue to leave the mansion.She's not a mutant anymore.Bobby and rogue could split apart because they no longer have the one thing that they had in common.I was thinking that maybe the re-emergence of her powers could happen at her home.By the way I like your Apocalypse theory.I was also thinking that they can make Ms.Marvel a mutant.(It can be a mutant with the exact same powers)The x-men find this mutant by using cerebro and once she is found she is brought back to the mansion.They all soon learn that there is some kind of poison that's slowly killing her.The mutant decides to allow Rogue to absorb her powers permanently.She tells Rogue that she will need them for what's to come.Apocalypse.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
200,769
Messages
21,805,819
Members
45,625
Latest member
papapasmurfsmur
Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"