My thoughts on John McCain

bored said:
It's hard to say with McCain. On the one hand, he was quite childish in his dispute with Barack Obama, on the other, things like his attempts at campaign finance reform (ineffectual as they may have been), his stance on torture, and his general willingness to engage in bipartisan work are all admirable. I'd say I approve of him, for the most part.

I disagree about the willingness to engage in bipartisan politics. He has that willingness until it comes time to actually back it up with action. Then his party holds the presidential nomination over his head and he backs down and sticks to party lines.

My problem with McCain is that party stuff. He was the victim of a disgusting lie spread by Bush in South Carolina when he was on the verge of beating the far wealthier Bush in the '00 primaries. (Thanks in part to my vote) Then, when he lost, he never really stood up to Bush, either with the rest of the primary or once Bush ascended to the throne.

I agree, Matt. He's a political coward, but a very decent man. However, Matt, I think we may disagree on Joe "The Plaigarist" Biden.

Mark Warner is the Democratic governor of relatively conservative Virginia. He seems alright to me, though I don't know much more about him.

Cyclops said:
No idea who that is, so I can't back you up or dispute your choice.

Mark Warner is the former governor of Virginia. He left office with one of the (if not the) highest of all time. He accomplished much in Virginia, he is a very moderate candidate who is incredibly good at reaching across party lines. He is my prediction to be the next president.

rdh007 said:
My problem with McCain is that party stuff. He was the victim of a disgusting lie spread by Bush in South Carolina when he was on the verge of beating the far wealthier Bush in the '00 primaries. (Thanks in part to my vote) Then, when he lost, he never really stood up to Bush, either with the rest of the primary or once Bush ascended to the throne.

I agree, Matt. He's a political coward, but a very decent man. However, Matt, I think we may disagree on Joe "The Plaigarist" Biden.

Biden was cleared of the plagarism charges. He had cited the author of the speech numerous times, the one time he didn't one of Dukakis' aides ran with it. Dukakis later fired that aide and apologized if I'm not mistaken.

Matt said:
Mark Warner is the former governor of Virginia. He left office with one of the (if not the) highest of all time. He accomplished much in Virginia, he is a very moderate candidate who is incredibly good at reaching across party lines. He is my prediction to be the next president.
I like that prediction. :up:

Matt said:
I just don't get the pedestal people put him on.

I don't either, but he is the most likely to be the Republican candidate in '08.

Matt said:

As an Independant, he sounds like an ideal candidate irregardless of party affiliation.

He was on 24, so there fore I'm voting for him. Politics are all good, but I really don't give a ****. I'd probably vote for him just cause he was in 24. :o:up:
However, Obama does in fact rule all, but he'll never run.

BATFREDDIE said:
He was on 24, so there fore I'm voting for him. Politics are all good, but I really don't give a ****. I'd probably vote for him just cause he was in 24. :o:up:
However, Obama does in fact rule all, but he'll never run.

If he did run he would get the Democratic nomination.

If his plans could be executed, we'd all be better off. He is afraid to go against his party all of the time, because then he'd never be listened to, rather than on occasion as he is now. Personally, I'd rather he give in to his party at times rather than not be around at all.

He deserves praise. because he'd make a great president. But not in the currently ****ty state of politics nowadays.

ScottyBBadd said:
I don't either, but he is the most likely to be the Republican candidate in '08.

No he won't. The powers that be in the Republican party will not allow him to win the primary election. They proved that in 2000.

Frist or Allen will take the 2008 nomination.

Leto Atrides said:
If his plans could be executed, we'd all be better off. He is afraid to go against his party all of the time, because then he'd never be listened to, rather than on occasion as he is now. Personally, I'd rather he give in to his party at times rather than not be around at all.

He deserves praise. because he'd make a great president. But not in the currently ****ty state of politics nowadays.

What plans? A campaign reform bill that does nothing? A torture ban that makes something already illegal even more illegal? His bills are jokes. They sound good on paper but are ultimately ineffectual or simply symbolic.

What evidence do you have that he would make a good president? Look at what his own party did to them in 2000, and yet he still went crawling back? Do you want a woman who stays with her husband who beats her as president? That is pretty much what McCain did.

He'd be a symbolic figurehead who has no power to implement his own ideas so he simply grabs his ankles, allows his party to take him in the ass, and spouts out these "great" ideas even more while not acting on them.

The only thing of use he has ever done is avoiding the nuclear option being used in the senate...and even then...there were 13 other senators involved, he just was the P.R. ****e who took all the credit.

That was my point; he has good ideas, and I think he would be a good leader if given the chance. But no one is ever going to let him do anything, and I agree he is ineffectual now. I'm saying in a different political climate he would work well.

Just speaking theoretically.

Leto Atrides said:
That was my point; he has good ideas, and I think he would be a good leader if given the chance. But no one is ever going to let him do anything, and I agree he is ineffectual now. I'm saying in a different political climate he would work well.

Just speaking theoretically.

So let me get this straight....he is a good leader, even though he can't accomplish anything because circumstances are against him? A good leader can make accomplishments regardless of circumstances. Work around bad circumstances and use them to their advantage.

Clinton dealt with a Republican congress who shot him down at every opportunity and yet he still got things done. Democrats controled the House during Reagan's term and he still accomplished quite a bit.

A good leader can overcome challenges. He doesn't bend over backwards for the challenges. McCain is a joke.

I'm saying he could be. Circumstances are everything. Every leader needs support. Clinton and Reagan's parties at least partially supported them.

It would take someone truly extraordinary to singlehandedly get things done as a leader, something I don't think has ever really been done (except by despots).

And besides, a "good leader" is subjective. I don't think ignoring and/or getting around the opinions and decisions of other officials elected by the people necessarily makes you a good leader.

But then, considering the things required to gain party favor and get elected, anyone able to become a candidate isn't the sort of person I think should be leader.

This is nothing personal against you, nor am I analyzing this extraordinarily intently. I'm just saying his praise is not completely undeserved.

Leto Atrides said:
I'm saying he could be. Circumstances are everything. Every leader needs support. Clinton and Reagan's parties at least partially supported them.

It would take someone truly extraordinary to singlehandedly get things done as a leader, something I don't think has ever really been done (except by despots).

And besides, a "good leader" is subjective. I don't think ignoring and/or getting around the opinions and decisions of other officials elected by the people necessarily makes you a good leader.

But then, considering the things required to gain party favor and get elected, anyone able to become a candidate isn't the sort of person I think should be leader.

This is nothing personal against you, nor am I analyzing this extraordinarily intently. I'm just saying his praise is not completely undeserved.

He does not have to do it alone. He has the ability to gain bipartisan support, he has done it before, something that is far more powerful than party support. Furthermore, the public is very favorable towards him, again, very powerful. He has had the ability to make change, he has had the power to make change, however, the fact is though, when the Republican party holds that presidential nomination over his head, he jumps right back in line like the obident lap dog that he is.

I'll agree with you there. I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just don't feel it to the extreme you do.

This sums up my thoughts on McCain.

mccainbj.jpg

Superman said:
This sums up my thoughts on McCain.

mccainbj.jpg

heh, its funny because its true...

Wait...no its not. Its sad because its true :(

Matt said:
Biden was cleared of the plagarism charges. He had cited the author of the speech numerous times, the one time he didn't one of Dukakis' aides ran with it. Dukakis later fired that aide and apologized if I'm not mistaken.
You're right, I'm sure. I was just trying to get you going, but I see you're too adult for that. Probably explains why you're not a conservative, your brain seems fully developed.

Matt said:
Mark Warner is the former governor of Virginia. He is my prediction to be the next president.

We could do worse.

rdh007 said:
You're right, I'm sure. I was just trying to get you going, but I see you're too adult for that. Probably explains why you're not a conservative, your brain seems fully developed.

Heh a complement to me and an insult to conservatives, dare I say this is the best post ever? I dare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"