NATALIE PORTMAN is Thor!

With a title like Love and Thunder, more than one romance seems reasonably likely, but time will tell. It's interesting that the Thor movies are coming back to that idea.

I seem to recall that Patty Jenkins was originally thinking of making Thor 2 more of a romantic tale (before she eventually left the project).

I seem to recall that Patty Jenkins was originally thinking of making Thor 2 more of a romantic tale (before she eventually left the project).

It certainly couldn't have been much worse than what we ultimately got. I genuinely think that hiring Alan Taylor was one of Marvel's biggest mistakes. The dude might have a decent record in television, but all of the movies he's directed have sucked balls (lookin' at you, Terminator: Genisys).

Given the comments Hemsworth has made in recent years, and Christopher Eccleston saying that he felt like putting a gun in his mouth everyday that they were on set, it really does seem like nobody enjoyed being a part of Thor: TDW. They all knew it was a dumpster fire.

Yeah. Although that type of comment from actors working on these tentpoles is pretty common. It must be very awkward in the best of times. A lot of the environment is CGI, often actors aren't even in the room with one another, not to mention extensive prep for boring roles.

Malekith was completely uninteresting, but the role involved wearing extensive prosthetics and make-up. It takes hours to even put that stuff on (or to have it put on you), then your character doesn't have a backstory, or it's cut from the movie.

Not that The Dark World isn't a particularly bad example. It probably was, but the actors in these films frequently don't even know what is going on. The complete opposite of being able to build a character on stage or in other types of cinema.

Last edited:
Yeah. Although that type of comment from actors working on these tentpoles is pretty common. It must be very awkward in the best of times. A lot of the environment is CGI, often actors aren't even in the room with one another, not to mention extensive prep for boring roles.

Malekith was completely uninteresting, but the role involved wearing extensive prosthetics and make-up. It takes hours to even put that stuff on (or to have it put on you), then your character doesn't have a backstory, or it's cut from the movie.

Not that The Dark World isn't a particularly bad example. It probably was, but the actors in these films frequently don't even know what is going on. The complete opposite of being able to build a character on stage or in other types of cinema.

Dealing with green screen can be challenging, but if you're playing an interesting character and have a solid script, it's easier to work with it. Eccleston had neither of those things.

By contrast, Josh Brolin seems to have had a riot playing Thanos, precisely because he did have those things.

Yeah. Motion capture may be easier on the actor, tbh. I can't recall having read a detailed comparison, but it seems likely that it might be. The prosthetic mask + make-up combo is pretty brutal from what I understand.

Seeing yourself transformed into a character like Thanos via computer graphics is probably a lot cooler than sitting through day after day of prosthetics being applied, but a better script also helps, I'm sure.

Last edited:
I just got my mind blown on Twitter.
Someone wondered, what if Jane Foster broke up with Thor because she knew she had cancer and didn’t want Thor to suffer.

And now I add my 2 cents. What if the cancer is indeed because of her being possessed by the Aether...

Having just watched the deleted ending Thor: TDW where Thor and Jane break up, I actually now think that this might turn out to be accurate.

Like, the scene is kinda weird. Jane tells Thor that she loves him, but that she can't live with him because her work is on Earth. That just seems like a weaksauce excuse to dump someone you supposedly love. Jane being diagnosed with cancer off-screen and wanting to spare him the pain of losing her so soon after Frigga and Loki's deaths makes a lot more sense.

It's also crazy to think that Loki was originally meant to die for real in TDW.

For those that, like me, weren't aware of this...

Fun Fact:

Jane Foster Thor was first introduced in 1978 in a "What If" story.
"What if Jane Foster had found the hammer?"

-7129925461346820902.jpg

20190724female-thor-4.jpg

D_-a4KjXoAEA07g.jpg

Reactions: Bim
Here's a link to the deleted ending for Thor: TDW, where Thor and Jane break up, if anyone's interested:

They should've kept this ending instead. Why didn't they use this?

They should've kept this ending instead. Why didn't they use this?

It was at least partly because in this version of the film, Loki was going to die for real. They found that test audiences simply didn't accept that and so they got the idea of Loki surviving and taking Odin's throne without Thor's knowledge.

Truly, almost anything might make TDW a better movie than it is.

Truly, almost anything might make TDW a better movie than it is.

I would still love to see all the deleted scenes explaining the backstory of the Dark Elves and Malekith's motivation. There was a huge amount apparently left on the cutting room floor and neither Alan Taylor nor Christopher Eccleston were very happy about it...

Wow, that was the best scene in TDW, and it wasn't even in the movie... look, actual "acting"

that ending was much better, they couldve left it and still had the stinger of Odin changing to Loki at the very end, but I guess they really wanted to have Thor on earth at the end for Age of Ultron

And agreed Fosterson, that ending plus the expanded dark elf stuff and this movie would be much higher on my MCU list

Wow, that was the best scene in TDW, and it wasn't even in the movie... look, actual "acting"

that ending was much better, they couldve left it and still had the stinger of Odin changing to Loki at the very end, but I guess they really wanted to have Thor on earth at the end for Age of Ultron

And agreed Fosterson, that ending plus the expanded dark elf stuff and this movie would be much higher on my MCU list

Most people tend to blame Perlmutter for interfering and insisting on a more "streamlined" film...

I have always tended to blame TDW's problems on Alan Taylor, who I don't have a particularly high opinion of (see: Terminator Genisys). But seeing some of this deleted stuff does make me wonder if his cut wouldn't have been a lot better than the theatrical one...

Do you think Portman is going to get some muscle mass for female Thor?

Do you think Portman is going to get some muscle mass for female Thor?

Aside from toning her arms a bit, I can't see her putting on a huge amount of muscle. She is tiny, after all.

Yeah if Gadot and Larson didn't put on bulk, I doubt Natalie will either
besides, they can just CG the muscles on there these days anyway

Chris Pratt was on Kimmel last night, and it was great, Kimmel suggested Pratt could just be fat and have them digitally trim him down
The look of astonishment and "holy s***, why didn't I think of that?!" on Pratt's face was amazing

I wouldn't mind seeing a digitally altered Natalie Portman with more muscles and height for Female Thor. They're going to have to do that anyway for She-Hulk at some point.

Yeah if Gadot and Larson didn't put on bulk, I doubt Natalie will either
besides, they can just CG the muscles on there these days anyway

Chris Pratt was on Kimmel last night, and it was great, Kimmel suggested Pratt could just be fat and have them digitally trim him down
The look of astonishment and "holy s***, why didn't I think of that?!" on Pratt's face was amazing
Gadot definitely put on muscle, especially on her legs. When she was first cast her physique was one of the things people didn’t think was a good match. The changes looked really good to me.

Gadot definitely put on muscle, especially on her legs. When she was first cast her physique was one of the things people didn’t think was a good match. The changes looked really good to me.

I still didn't find her physique to be too impressive
but I said "bulk" which is different from toning... she might've bulked up a tiny bit, but coming from a model body, that's not saying much

Didn't Natalie say during the announcement that her look at that time will be the 'before' implying that she will train/muscle up before the movie shoots? Granted, there's not much she can do. She's just tiny in nature.

I still didn't find her physique to be too impressive
but I said "bulk" which is different from toning... she might've bulked up a tiny bit, but coming from a model body, that's not saying much
I found her physique at the time of casting to be totally unconvincing of WW, but she looked fine in the film to me. I wasn’t looking for a particularly bulky WW though, just not skinny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"