NBC's The Office: Second Season

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Mr.Webs, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Gamma Ray Registered

"Why are your hands raised?"
    "He can't show me, but he says he has a gun."

2. Mr.Webs Something Witty Here

"I need to erase a lot of stuff. A LOT of stuff..."

Kevin is so creepy, that it is just plain hilarious. And then when he's talking to Ryan.:D

"Nu uh, Fire Guy..."

3. WallCrawl Registered

So glad that there's more than 8 episodes this season. But how many are there going to be, exactly?

4. Shifty Chief of Surgery

The Office is moving to Thursdays, in the New Year along with Scrubs and Earl. This past Tuesday was the most watched episode of the American version with a much better number compared back to the spring when it didn't look good.

Store clerk: It comes to $166.41
    Michael: Alright, you’re the expert…tell me, is this enough to get 20 people plastered?
    Store clerk: 15 bottles of vodka? Yeah, that should do it.

Dwight: Yankee Swap is like Machiavelli meets...Christmas.

Michael: Happy birthday, Jesus — sorry your party's so lame.

Kevin: (About the Christmas tree) Why'd you get it so big?
    Michael: Well, A) that's what she said, and...

Dwight: I got a splinter.
    Michael: Well, suck it up. We all have problems.

Kevin: I got myself for Secret Santa. I was supposed to tell somebody, but I didn't. (smiles)

Toby: I got Angela. She's into these posters of babies dressed as adults. I got her one of those. It felt kinda weird buying that.

Michael: It was a tough year. I had to fire somebody this year. Yeesh. This party has to really rock. Check it out--Christmas bonus 3000 G's. I got this for helping save the company money. So I guess some good came out of firing Devin after all. Maybe I should call him, tell him that.

Meredith: The deal is that this is my last hurrah 'cause I made a New Year's resolution that I'm not going to drink anymore...during the week.

Michael: Reverse psychology is an awesome tool. I don't know if you guys know about it, but basically you make someone think the opposite of what you believe. And that tricks them into doing something stupid. Works like a charm.

Michael: Presents are the best way to show someone you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, "Hey man, I love you this many dollars worth."

Dwight: Take that Saddam!

The BBC version closed out the series with a Christmas Party which was really well done and wrapped things perfectly but NBC's was still able to put out a hilarious episode, possibly the best of this series (haven't seen all of them), and didn't have to rely on anything from the BBC's Xmas Party.

Best Office Ending Ever.

5. WallCrawl Registered

Just finished watching the latest episode. It was good, but felt very rushed. To be fair, they did have a lot to get through. However without the tempered pace and focus on awkward pauses it felt less like a documentary and more sitcom-ish, just just jumpijg from gag to gag for the most part. Angela's breakdown was great, it was both funny and a nice little piece of character development. AWESOME ending too.

6. Dr Doom Registered

MICHAEL ACTUALLY SHOWED SOME DEPTH

7. WallCrawl Registered

He has before, especially in the beginning of the season.

8. Gamma Ray Registered

My favorite part in the Christmas episode was when that blonde employee said "Michael should have consulted with the party manager before deciding to change things" (she starts to cry).

Anyway, this episode was funny, but I prefer them in the office.

9. Super_Ludacris Registered

Micheal dancing on the floor to Sean Paul's "Get Busy" (as played by the band) was priceless

10. Tamanon Professional Bastard

Out-freakin-standing episode.

Although the awkward moment outside with Jim and Pam was just that, lol. Very good acting in this episode and great writing.

11. Gamma Ray Registered

Won't Pam be watching the documentary? Won't she realize that Jim likes her?

12. Dr Doom Registered

I THINK SHE HAS KNOWN FOR AWHILE. I HOPE THEY NEVER GET TOGETHER.

13. WallCrawl Registered

Which prompts the question, who's worse at dancing? David Brent or Michael Scott?

If we as viewers are watching the finished documentary, by that logic we're watching what has already passed, so she might already know. Plus, like Dr Doom said, it's pretty apparent they have feelings for eachother. They both know, and have both been avoiding the issue.

14. Matt IKYN Guy Groupie

That ending scene with Michael and Jim shows that Carrell deserves an emmy.

15. Shifty Chief of Surgery

Well in the British version seasons one and two were supposed to take place in about two months (two week break between the seasons). The Xmas Special was a couple years since the documentary aired and David Brent was a E-list celebrity and all was known about what happened.

So it will be interesting what happens with Carell's. They have to do the merger and then fire Micheal, Pam/Jim talk about their feelings hopefully that's the rest of season two. Season three could have Dwight as boss, Micheal struggling to find work/love, making pop-ins, Pam gone from the office and Jim ready to kill himselft. Although, you would think some female viewers would seek out Jim.

16. Matt IKYN Guy Groupie

Slinger, they don't have to follow the british version act by act...I'd much rather see Michael stick around for awhile. I think last night we saw a whole new depth to Michael that needs to be explored. I would much rather wait until the end of Season 3 to fire Michael.

17. Dr Doom Registered

THEY SHOULDN'T FIRE MICHAEL AT ALL

18. Shifty Chief of Surgery

True, but I'm starting to think that The Office would've been better and perhaps last longer if it wasn't a 'documentary' just a single camera comedy. Since those moments are great just seeing what happens in the office, and the talking head moments help move the storyline along and you get some great lines but for any sense of realism you have to wonder, okay when are they going to stop filming?

They don't know how long the show can go 1. because of the style 2. Carell's movies 3. ratings (however the show was up in its season average this week). Greg Daniels said it himself on one of the commentaries, he's lazy. So why not follow what's put out and they do there thing. Its limitless in what they can do with the characters if they follow the basic structure fromt the BBC version. Michael Scott trying out for Last Comic Standing, or just him handling life away from The Office is atleast a few episodes worth.

19. Matis17 Registered

It seems like we could just go ahead and forget that this is a documentary being filmed all together. They very rarely reference the fact that they're being filmed and when they do, it feels pretty awkward. Jim confessing his feelings for Pam to Michael is dumb enough but do you really think he'd do it with a cameraman standing right behind him?

20. Matt IKYN Guy Groupie

You didn't like it? I thought it was the best scene of the series thus far.

21. Matis17 Registered

No no no. I loved that scene too. I think you missed the point of my post. I was just suggesting that the whole doccumentary aspect of it sort of feels unnecessary. I love the way it's shot and the interviews. It seems like you could probably get away with nixing the idea that it's a documentary. The characters on the show almost never pay attention to the fact that they are being filmed anyway. The idea that it's a documentary feels unrealistic in that aspect.

22. Matt IKYN Guy Groupie

But if you watch reality shows, you'll notice, it's very real considering it's the second season.

At the start of any reality show, the cast is always very aware of the camera, reacting to it, putting on for it, etc...but as it goes on, it becomes part of their lives, they adjust to it and act as if it's not there. That is sort of what I'm seeing with The Office...intentional or otherwise...I think it is very real.

23. Mr.Webs Something Witty Here

I must agree with this statement. For instance, I personally believe that much of Scott's continuing idiotic antics are slightly due to the cameras being ever present.

I'm not saying that his character doesn't act this way, but I believe it's heightened because he always knows now that he has an audience to entertain.

24. Dr Doom Registered

AND ANYTIME HE MAKES A RACIAL OR INNAPROPPRIATE COMMENT HE LOOKS AT THE CAMERA AND TRYS TO COVER IT UP.

25. WallCrawl Registered

He also often looks to the camera after making a joke he thinks is particularly funny.