Neil Armstrong has passed away... :(

How come this hasn't been on the news?
It was breaking and headline news on all the news channels in the UK.

BBC Worldwide had Buzz Aldrin and had Neil Armstrongs ex-wife giving an interview within a couple hours of the news breaking.

In retrospect, the landing of Apollo 11 seemed effortless. But at the time, there was every possibility of a catastrophic failure - with two dead bodies on the Moon as a permanent monument to this fact. But Armstrong was fearless. With almost no fuel left in the descent stage of the LEM, he kept looking for the perfect spot for a safe landing - and found it. Extraordinary.

“Hero” is a word that gets used way too freely nowadays. But most definitely, Neil Armstrong was a hero.

In retrospect, the landing of Apollo 11 seemed effortless. But at the time, there was every possibility of a catastrophic failure - with two dead bodies on the Moon as a permanent monument to this fact. But Armstrong was fearless. With almost no fuel left in the descent stage of the LEM, he kept looking for the perfect spot for a safe landing - and found it. Extraordinary.

“Hero” is a word that gets used way too freely nowadays. But most definitely, Neil Armstrong was a hero.

A hero in more ways than one. The Apollo team united the world. People weren't, British, American, Soviets in that moment, it was humanity and humanity had done it! That is why the whole world feels this loss. To say he was an American hero was really undermining his impact.

...very sad news. Rest in peace, Neil.

A hero in more ways than one. The Apollo team united the world. People weren't, British, American, Soviets in that moment, it was humanity and humanity had done it! That is why the whole world feels this loss. To say he was an American hero was really undermining his impact.

Definitely. In this day and age though whichever nation hits Mars first is going to be viewed as that nation's hero regardless. We're just braggarts like that.

Sad news. The World has lost a true pioneering hero. My condolences to his family.

I wonder if he was ever disappointed that we never went back to establish a Lunar colony within his lifetime?

I know I am.

According to one article I read, he was disappointed that we haven't had a manned mission to Mars yet (and offered to join it when we did).

“The important achievement of Apollo was demonstrating that humanity is not forever chained to this planet and our visions go rather further than that and our opportunities are unlimited. “ - Neil Armstrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"