Neil Blompkamp's Chappie

wdv7dbZ.png

Looking forward to this. Love the design but that's expected for me when it comes to Blomkamp. Even though Elysium was a step down from District 9 (which I consider a classic and a Top 3 Film for me) I have to say I've enjoyed it more on repeat viewings. The script was the problem but the visuals and design were amazing. Which is no surprise since Blomkamp admits he hates writing. He co-wrote Chappie with his wife like he did D9, so that's promising.

I expect this to be a fairly polarizing film.

It doesn't have the weight of expectation upon it as much as Elysium did but I think its going to go off in some directions many people won't like. Involving Die Antwoord in the film certainly points that way.

I think Chappie is going to be much more interesting than Elysium.

I thought District 9 and Elysium were awesome. Blomkamp can only get better and better, in my opinion.

I'd also love to see him take a shot at a Green Lantern movie.

Surprised I've not heard about this until now. I really dig Die Antwoord and Blomkamp is one hell of a director. Elysium wasn't as amazing as District 9, but it wasn't bad either. Sign me up for this one.

I loved District 9, but Elysium was totally dull.

exactly. I was highly anticipating it, but it's so... poor... the stakes are cliche, and so is the main protagonist's arc. Not to mention it's not engaging.

Elysium doesn't work as a film. It's okay, just plain okay.

exactly. I was highly anticipating it, but it's so... poor... the stakes are cliche, and so is the main protagonist's arc. Not to mention it's not engaging.
That about sums up my feelings. I'm not saying it was horrible but it was a massive step back from Blomkamp's debut. I literally could go on and on about the problems with that film.

the problem with Elysium is that it was not rushed after D9 made a lot of money. Blomkamp spend a lot of time.plus the realese date was pushed back which means that they had an insane amount of time for editing or to re-edit and add reshoots.

you can see that Blomkamp is a good director. its obvious. because of that Elysium is a big creative failure.

Aside from a few visuals, I don't think it's very creative. I'm gonna wait and see, because D9 had a lot of potential.

loved the designs in Elysium, Blomkamp's eye, though the story is generic i do think there were some nice ideas scattered throughout the film in terms of the world and a couple of the story points. plotting was definitely the weakest/most conventional aspect of the film and the characters were fairly stock aside from the one-dimensional but bonkers Kruger...but i think i would revisit the film more often if it worked better as an action film. a lot of the choices made in the movie are to set up the action, and i'm totally okay with that, but we only really get two setpieces, and while i think Blomkamp has a very promising future in terms of directing action, the heist scene was the only memorable action in the film. the crash onto Elysium was really cool and well done but as far as the actual fighting that took place afterwards, i think it might have got butchered a bit in the editing process or just didn't quite connect that the action at the end of D9 did.

D9 was also more absurdist and satirical in its sci-fi societal observation while Elysium was playing things up in a more straight-faced, dramatic manner. Chappie seems a return to a more wry perspective and i think that will benefit the story greatly while hopefully the design elements still enthrall and Blomkamp continues progressing as a storyteller and action director.

Trailer supposedly is out next week and attached to Interstellar.

Anyone think Blompkamp would make a good Robocop movie?

-He's got the robotics aspect down(Elysium and District 9)

-He has the political tones down

-He can do the gory parts where people that get shot have blood splatters

I actually think Neill Blomkamp would have been perfect for Terminator.

He's cited the original film not only as the film that inspired him to become a filmmaker but was also a huge influence on District 9. He also considers Aliens to be his all time favorite film. Needless to say, Cameron's films have been a huge inspiration for him.

He's probably better off doing his own original projects but I can see him taking on an established property, later on.

This looks fasinating! I wonder how soon it will take for a meme about chappie being ultrons son

next times images leak just tell us that something leaked.

haha :)

I think this movie is going to end up being quite weird and divisive.

This looks like it could be Blomkamps best one yet, has a lot of heart in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"