Nell2ThaIzzay's "Last Stand"

The Batman said:
I've gotta admit, sunrise, at this point you're being extreme.

Your kinda making assumptions on posters that isnt true.

I only go to the extreme because they went there first. I tried to be civil at first, I tried to be nice, but they don't understand logic or real reasons as to why people may be disappointed with this film.

From your point of view you may feel I'm being extreme. Hell, I'm sure a lot do feel I'm being extreme at this point. Like I said it's only because they crossed the line first and I'm merely paying them back.

I'm just giving what is known as refreshing harsh honesty.

If you want an example of how civil I can be check out the Silent Hill sequel thread. More people hated that movie, but I loved it, and the difference is they expressed it in an intelligent manner without insulting anyone who may've enjoyed it. So we're able to have civil discussions and agree to disagree; unlike the X3 forums where anyone who points out a flaw is a "fake superhero fan", "not a true X-Men fan", or "is a Singer fanboy."

So I'm not apologizing for any extremes that I've gone to. If they don't like people complaining about this film, then they shouldn't complain about the complainers.

In any case, I just finished watching X2 a few minutes ago. Seeing it again makes me hate Fox more and more each day. :down

The Original Bamfer said:
Here from the beginning? None of us were? You seem to be the one who's blind.

You assume the people who merely enjoyed this film "LOVE" it - which isn't quite accurate. Then you base the "FOX loyalist" and "Wolverine Fans" assumptions on the fact that you assume we "LOVE" this film. And because you assume we're "FOX Loyalists and Wolverine Fans", which may I remind you are assumptions you made in the first place, and that we "LOVE" this film; you assume we're "blind" and "don't know what good story telling is." But because we "LOVE" this movie and because we're "FOX Loyalists" and "Wolverine Fans" and because we're "blind" and we "don't know what good story telling is" you then continue to say we're "not intelligent." And on top of all of this ****, we "LOVE" this movie, we're "FOX loyalists" and "Wolverine Fans", we're "blind" and we "don't know what good story telling is", we're really "not" that "intelligent", but we also have "no taste" - Why? Because we don't agree with you. Now we "like Gigli and AVP."

And yet, you have no facts to base any of this on for half of us.

Nope, you judge us based on your own ****ed up assumptions.

Who's "blind" and "not intelligent" now?

All I can say is I suggest you read certain posts from X-Maniac, Weatherwitch, YJ1, and Danoyse. Contrary to what you may believe they drew first blood to an extent.

If they don't like to hear negativity then they don't have to read my posts. I've posted intelligently about my disappointments of X3, I posted within the limitations of what could be considered decent and fair.

I have no regrets about what I've said. So are we supposed to praise X3? Defend Fox? defend Ratner? Defend Kinberg and Penn? Hell, I was doing all of that and more before X3 was released. So if anything I have more than enough right to continue to voice what I feel was a robbery of a trilogy.

So are we supposed to be happy with just "a good popcorn flick"? When the first two aren't popcorn flicks? Are we supposed to just ACCEPT what we were given? Some may accept it, but me? No. I refuse to accept a film that could've been so much better and is merely just "a good popcorn flick."

And who said Spider-Man 3 forums are the best? Please. You have some who are going on about Peter's "emo haircut", Topher being Venom, the black suit having lines, and Harry's Goblin costume. So if anything the X3 forum is nothing compared to what the SM3 boards have become.

LastSunrise1981 said:
All I can say is I suggest you read certain posts from X-Maniac, Weatherwitch, YJ1, and Danoyse. Contrary to what you may believe they drew first blood to an extent.

I'd love to see you find something on any of those posts that proves your point.

Honestly, you're only trying to bait people now. You stopped having a point a long time ago. :rolleyes:

HAHA nobody quoted me when I went off on page 10...I have calmed down though.

danoyse said:
I'd love to see you find something on any of those posts that proves your point.

Honestly, you're only trying to bait people now. You stopped having a point a long time ago. :rolleyes:

I think the only thing he's got is the links Batman posted, showing X-Maniac, Wolverini, JustABill, and a couple others I think, attacking me after my original review of the movie.

And if THAT'S what he's going off of (because I haven't seen anything negative from X-Maniac since), then he really needs to move on.

The other thing that I find funny is that, he only respects those opinions who "see flaws" in the movie as well...

I found the movie to be very flawed, but someone from a different perspective (most likely a non-comic book fan) might have found the movie to be flawless. I haven't met such a person yet, as EVERYONE I have met had problems with it of some sort, but there'd be nothing wrong if someone did think it was the be all end all of good movies. That's THEIR opinion, and as highly disagreeable as it may be to most of us, we're not better than them because of it.

chaseter said:
HAHA nobody quoted me when I went off on page 10...I have calmed down though.

Well, I get you're point, but I think you could have toned it down a bit... part of your post was doing exactly what I'm trying to avoid by this thread.

chaseter said:
Saying that people who love X3 also like Gigli and other 'type films' is total bulls***. Yea I am also sure people who loved the movie saw Elvis at McDonalds.

You know I was kidding when I made the Elvis joke, right?? :eek:

This thread is still going!? Okay then...

LastSunrise would probably be shocked that those he/she is criticising also have issues with the movie and I wouldn't think anyone here is a Fox loyalist.

While I enjoyed the movie - in fact I loved it for its energy and for bringing in Angel, Beast, a flying Storm and other things - I've never been 100 per cent comfortable with certain elements, namely:

1) The cure storyline. Although it was a brilliant platform for Angel, Beast, Leech, Storm, Magneto, the Omega Muties etc, it makes the stance of the mutants less 'solid' if they can switch sides and become human (it could be said to be like allowing a black man to become white during the civll rights movement). The focus is blurred from two different sides working for acceptance if a 'cop-out' cure is available that allows the discriminated minority to physically change...

2) The Phoenix saga - Although a vague sub-plot in X1 and X2 (Jean's dramatic comicbook transformation becoming a two-second stare at the Statue of Liberty), many expected to see more of the powerful good Phoenix after the end of X2. While her apparent death (her comatose condition under the lake, the shutdown of her conscious mind) could well be intepreted as be the point at which the subconscious Phoenix came to the surface, Jean's quick descent into Dark Phoenix mode was not the perfect way to do things.
However, it WAS shown in X2 that Xavier kept secrets (from Wolverine in that case) and that Jean's power was linked to her subconscious (the scene in the museum in which her room-shaking nightmares are mentioned, as dreams and nightmares are the product of the subconscious mind...and we saw more of the room-shaking stuff in the infirmary in X3 when the subconscious Dark Phoenix came to the surface).
I still feel the movie and the script didn't go down the best route in telling the story. Her story needed an X3 and X4 to show the good Phoenix at her height and then the decline into darkness...obviously that didn't happen, Fox wouldn't go for that and Bryan left...

Looking at SR, I'm not sure Bryan would have delivered a blockbuster X3 if he were doing it...

I can understand the choices made in making the X3 movie we got, but I don't agree with some of them.

A large part of the problem is that these three movies were never conceived, planned, written or filmed as a trilogy... they have BECOME a trilogy in a loose sense and the third movie made a big attempt to be final, conclusive and wrap up the story...The cures and deaths make it quite hard to do an X4.

can someone give me the jist of that last post, to much reading for my tired eyes, especially from a comp screen:((also i'm lazy:))

X-Maniac said:
A large part of the problem is that these three movies were never conceived, planned, written or filmed as a trilogy... they have BECOME a trilogy in a loose sense and the third movie made a big attempt to be final, conclusive and wrap up the story...The cures and deaths make it quite hard to do an X4.

Not necessarily. Scott was never shown as dying, it's understood that by her very nature Jean CAN'T die, and Xavier has miraculously transferred his conciousness to another body and wakes up in Moira's facility. Not to mention that the Cure isn't as permanent as we were made to believe during the first 100 minutes of the film. All in all, that's some serious contradicting taking place within the same movie, wouldn't you say?

BTW, someone suggested that Ratner intends to take the storyline into space now and involve aliens. If that's the case, does that mean that Shadowcat gets to have Lockheed? :D

X-Maniac said:
This thread is still going!? Okay then...

LastSunrise would probably be shocked that those he/she is criticising also have issues with the movie and I wouldn't think anyone here is a Fox loyalist.

While I enjoyed the movie - in fact I loved it for its energy and for bringing in Angel, Beast, a flying Storm and other things - I've never been 100 per cent comfortable with certain elements, namely:

1) The cure storyline. Although it was a brilliant platform for Angel, Beast, Leech, Storm, Magneto, the Omega Muties etc, it makes the stance of the mutants less 'solid' if they can switch sides and become human (it could be said to be like allowing a black man to become white during the civll rights movement). The focus is blurred from two different sides working for acceptance if a 'cop-out' cure is available that allows the discriminated minority to physically change...

2) The Phoenix saga - Although a vague sub-plot in X1 and X2 (Jean's dramatic comicbook transformation becoming a two-second stare at the Statue of Liberty), many expected to see more of the powerful good Phoenix after the end of X2. While her apparent death (her comatose condition under the lake, the shutdown of her conscious mind) could well be intepreted as be the point at which the subconscious Phoenix came to the surface, Jean's quick descent into Dark Phoenix mode was not the perfect way to do things.
However, it WAS shown in X2 that Xavier kept secrets (from Wolverine in that case) and that Jean's power was linked to her subconscious (the scene in the museum in which her room-shaking nightmares are mentioned, as dreams and nightmares are the product of the subconscious mind...and we saw more of the room-shaking stuff in the infirmary in X3 when the subconscious Dark Phoenix came to the surface).
I still feel the movie and the script didn't go down the best route in telling the story. Her story needed an X3 and X4 to show the good Phoenix at her height and then the decline into darkness...obviously that didn't happen, Fox wouldn't go for that and Bryan left...

Looking at SR, I'm not sure Bryan would have delivered a blockbuster X3 if he were doing it...

I can understand the choices made in making the X3 movie we got, but I don't agree with some of them.

Hmm, let's see how am I going to respond to your post.

You love X3 for the energy it presented? So, from the sounds of it, there appears to be a sense of wanting more action and a less story concept for this particular film.

Now, with that being said, you don't think Singer would've made a blockbuster? I don't know if blockbuster is the right word for it, but I think he would've created a deeper, more emotional, and complex Phoenix Saga than the Cure/Phoenix Saga In Name Only story that we received.

He may've not given you an all out action story that you wanted. But I definitely believe he would've put out an excellent film if Fox didn't screw him over. You loved it for bringing in Beast, Angel, and a flying Storm? I thought from your point of view it was so much more emotional than X1 and X2? Make-up your mind already.

The problem with this film is that it's too rushed. The fact that Fox rushed this film showed they cared nothing about the series, the fans, or the overall quality as a whole really.

They were never filmed as trilogy? Do you mean in a sense as being filmed back to back like Lord of the Rings and the Matrix? Or they just never were filmed as a trilogy period? If that's what you mean, then you definitely need to take reading classes and understand overall concepts.

X1 and X2 are part of the trilogy. If X2 wasn't meant to follow X1, then it wouldn't have started off exactly where X1 left off.

The thing is we'll never know what Singer would've done with X3 or X4. The fact that the cure didn't leave Magneto completely powerless, shows that in the end nothing is certain and that he gained his power back. Now that scene could be taken in two ways.

1. That was the last bit of his power and as they were slowly fading away all he could do was move a metal chess piece.

2. Or he simply wasn't cured and they were slowly coming back.

Personally I'm going with the second option, and if the deaths weren't final, then they should've left Xavier dead instead of giving him his own alternate ending.

Half of the people that were vaporized(I hate the word demolecularized) no one cared about anyways. I certainly didn't care about Quills, Archlight, or Psylocke In Name Only.

I didn't care about the soldiers, I didn't care about the poor buildings being destroyed. So the fact that Xavier(Even though he came back), Cyclops(though his fate is not established) and Jean being dead doesn't make an X4 impossible.

That's the problem with fans like you. You just want it to end on a sour note, you just want it to stop just so a much better film can't be made in the future.

Now maybe if the deaths were a bit more tragic, emotional, powerful, and were absolutely final and say if the cures were absolutely final, then I'd agree with you about the possibility of an X4.

And you say the "cures" make an X4 difficult? Please. Half of the mutants that were cured in the final battle no one cared about anyways. The main ones that were cured were Magneto, Mystique, and Rogue. And as I said, the end scene with Magneto shows that it wasn't final.

My problem with X3 is that politics, greed, and petty revenge ruined what could've been the best film of the trilogy. The Phoenix Saga is considered a masterpiece by comic book fans, and the fact that Fox hired two hacks in Kinberg and Penn, and then hired a hack in Ratner showed that it was just a way to get back at Singer and make a quick buck at the box office.

Had they cared about quality instead of money they would've taken their time, crafted a much more focused and dynamic story, and released it to much better reviews and possibly more money in the end.

Yes, it made it's money in the end. Hell, it made a lot of money and is on its way to DVD which is likely to make them more money in the process. However, great films leave a lasting impression, great films make you feel proud to have watched it, and great films go down in history as the type of art that will always be remembered for the concepts that allowed people to care about the characters, the story, and so on.

Driving Miss Daisy, The Green Mile, Lord of the Rings, Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, Starman, Lawrence of Arabia, Schindlers List, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Halloween, The Omen, X1 and X2, The Usual Suspects, Rosemary's Baby, Platoon, Roots, Boys In The Hood, Leaving Las Vegas, The Crow, Spider-Man 1 and 2, Forrest Gump, Philadelphia, Batman Begins, Superman, and etc, etc are great films.

Now, some of the ones I listed have a long way to go before they'e considered classics. But some that I've listed have already been named as classics.

In the end X3 is what could be considered as a missed oppurtunity to make something great/amazing. Is it the worse film in the world? No. Not by any means, but it could've been so much better than it was and I refuse to accept just a "popcorn flick" as the ending of trilogy.

If you, and other posters want to accept a "popcorn flick" as the end to a trilogy, then that's your right and you are entitled to it. What you need to understand is that some people have standards, some people want more than just wall to wall action.

LastSunrise1981 said:
Hmm, let's see how am I going to respond to your post.

You love X3 for the energy it present? So, from the sounds of it, there appears to be a sense of wanting more action and a less story concept for this particular film.

I think the third part of any trilogy needs to have epic action, battle scenes, big drama...

LastSunrise1981 said:
Now, with that being said, you don't think Singer would've made a blockbuster? I don't know if blockbuster is the right word for it, but I think he would've created a deeper, more emotional, and complex Phoenix Saga than the Cure/Phoenix Saga In Name Only story that we received. He may've not given you an all out action story that you wanted. But I definitely believe he would've put out an excellent film if Fox didn't screw him over. You loved it for bringing in Beast, Angel, and a flying Storm? I thought from your point of view it was so much more emotional than X1 and X2? Make-up your mind already.

It was more emotional than X1 and X2, in my view. I agree Singer would have made something deeper, certainly as far as Phoenix is concerned. I'm not sure about 'more emotional' - X3 did have emotion/passion/anger/tears very explicitly expressed.. it's just that the pacing means perhaps people didn't have time to absorb it, or they were thrown by the change in directing style. Bryan would have given us the sort of quieter, internal, unexpressed emotion he is known for (which exists aplenty in SR).

LastSunrise1981 said:
The problem with this film is that it's too rushed. The fact that Fox rushed this film showed they cared nothing about the series, the fans, or the overall quality as a whole really.

Perhaps...although Vaughn's departure took away weeks of prep time. It doesn't feel THAT rushed - for instance, Beast and Angel don't look cheap or poorly done, the effects (bridge, Xavier vs Jean etc) don't look cheap and crappy. The only things that reveal that there wasn't enough time to do everything is the absence of Phoenix effects and the somewhat diluted Phoenix meltdown in the final battle - and that's because of seeing the concept art for those things that never made it.

LastSunrise1981 said:
They were never filmed as trilogy? Do you mean in a sense as being filmed back to back like Lord of the Rings and the Matrix? Or they just never were filmed as a trilogy period? If that's what you mean, then you definitely need to take reading classes and understand overall concepts. X1 and X2 are part of the trilogy. If X2 wasn't meant to follow X1, then it wouldn't have started off exactly where X1 left off.

Calm down, don't get all personal again! What I meant was that when they made X1 (at a time when the superhero genre was not as buoyant as it is now), they had no idea there would be a sequel... And after X2, a sequel wasn't immediately greenlit. These films have become a trilogy, but were never planned as one from the outset. It's nothing like the LOTR situation in which one story was broken into three parts and filmed at the same time.
Events do flow between the films, but with long gaps between the films, changes of minor actors and (with X3) a total change of director and writers. They didn't have to end things with X3.

LastSunrise1981 said:
The thing is we'll never know what Singer would've done with X3 or X4. The fact that the cure didn't leave Magneto completely powerless, shows that in the end nothing is certain and that he gained his power back. Now that scene could be taken in two ways.

1. That was the last bit of his power and as they were slowly fading away all he could do was move a metal chess piece.

2. Or he simply wasn't cured and they were slowly coming back.

Personally I'm going with the second option, and if the deaths weren't final, then they should've left Xavier dead instead of giving him his own alternate ending.

Yes, I broadly agree with that.

LastSunrise1981 said:
And you say the "cures" make an X4 difficult? Please. Half of the mutants that were cured in the final battle no one cared about anyways. The main ones that were cured were Magneto, Mystique, and Rogue. And as I said, the end scene with Magneto shows that it wasn't final.

We can live in hope!

LastSunrise1981 said:
That's the problem with fans like you. You just want it to end on a sour note, you just want it to stop just so a much better film can't be made in the future.

Now maybe if the deaths were a bit more tragic, emotional, powerful, and were absolutely final and say if the cures were absolutely final, then I'd agree with you about the possibility of an X4.

Not true. I didn't want a sour note ending, nor do i not want further films. I'd welcome more X-movies.

LastSunrise1981 said:
My problem with X3 is that politics, greed, and petty revenge ruined what could've been the best film of the trilogy. The Phoenix Saga is considered a masterpiece by comic book fans, and the fact that Fox hired two hacks in Kinberg and Penn, and then hired a hack in Ratner showed that it was just a way to get back at Singer and make a quick buck at the box office.

Had they cared about quality instead of money they would've taken their time, crafted a much more focused and dynamic story, and released it to much better reviews and possibly more money in the end.

Yes, it made it's money in the end. Hell, it made a lot of money and is on its way to DVD which is likely to make them more money in the process. However, great films leave a lasting impression, great films make you feel proud to have watched it, and great films go down in history as the type of art that will always be remembered for the concepts that allowed people to care about the characters, the story, and so on.

In the end X3 is what could be considered as a missed oppurtunity to make something great/amazing. Is it the worse film in the world? No. Not by any means, but it could've been so much better than it was and I refuse to accept just a "popcorn flick" as the ending of trilogy.

If you, and other posters want to accept a "popcorn flick" as the end to a trilogy, then that's your right and you are entitled to it. What you need to understand is that some people have standards, some people want more than just wall to wall action.

I also want more than wall to wall action. I don't know if I consider X3 as a popcorn flick per se, but it definitely has a more popcorn feel than its predecessors, for sure.

X-Maniac said:
I'm not sure about 'more emotional' - X3 did have emotion/passion/anger/tears very explicitly expressed.. it's just that the pacing means perhaps people didn't have time to absorb it,

The pacing is part of the problem. But as far as being more emotional... tell me. Where was the emotion for Scott? The man is considered dead, and that's it. Even Xavier doesn't seem to like him. acting annoying that the man is STILL broken up over the loss of Jean. And then after his apparent death, there's no memorial, no funeral, no passing remarks. Nothing even remotely resembling "I miss Scott so much, Why did Jean have to take him away? Why???".

I know the audience wasn't supposed to care much for him (or at least FOX assumed they wouldn't), but his closest friends and family too?
Perhaps...although Vaughn's departure took away weeks of prep time. It doesn't feel THAT rushed - for instance, Beast and Angel don't look cheap or poorly done,

What about Angel's limited screen time then? Or the fast pace with which he went from hating his wings to loving his wings?

His screentime can be broken down into the following:

Scene 1: I hate my wings! WAH!!!
Scene 2: I love my wings!
Scene 3: Is this a safe haven for us mutants?
Scene 4: Don't worry daddy, I'll save you!

Or lack of any conflict on Beast's part regarding the temptations that the cure would offer to someone who looks like a cross between a gorilla and cookie monster? Surely that was worth something to him besides a passing glance at Jimmy and Dr Rao? No private moments of contemplation looking at pictures of himself from his more "human" days? And what about his scientist side? Why not show a scene of him working independently in the lab and coming to the realization that the Cure may not be as permanent as Worthington Labs claims it to be?

Events do flow between the films, but with long gaps between the films, changes of minor actors and (with X3) a total change of director and writers. They didn't have to end things with X3.

So how does that explain certain cast members disappearing or new ones appearing with no explanation? Nightcrawler for instance. They pulled a Chucky Cunningham on the guy. He's not around, no one mentions him, there's no explanation, like he never existed... Almost as bad as the way they treated Scott's disappearance. Only the empty grave reminds us that he was there in the first place. The students certainly don't seem to care. Kitty is more upset at not being able to see snow like back home (hey, doesn't the State of New York get snow too???)

We can live in hope!

Oh we will!

So how does that explain certain cast members disappearing or new ones appearing with no explanation? Nightcrawler for instance. They pulled a Chucky Cunningham on the guy. He's not around, no one mentions him, there's no explanation, like he never existed... Almost as bad as the way they treated Scott's disappearance. Only the empty grave reminds us that he was there in the first place. The students certainly don't seem to care. Kitty is more upset at not being able to see snow like back home (hey, doesn't the State of New York get snow too???)
what happened to Toad and Sabretooth between X1 and X2? :confused:
they're never mentioned. Magneto never says anything of their fates. nothing. they just disappeared.

and, obviously, Kitty was lying about the real reason she was crying. seeing as how she pauses before saying the line about the snow back home and that scene happens the night of Xaiver's funeral.

Without sounding negative although in many respects the movie was better than the previous films but ultimately it didn't live up to any expectations(including mine's) and that's why I could never watch that movie again or at least until the DVD just to see the deleted scenes.

DRob said:
Without sounding negative although in many respects the movie was better than the previous films but ultimately it didn't live up to any expectations(including mine's) and that's why I could never watch that movie again or at least until the DVD just to see the deleted scenes.

May I ask how it was better than X1 and X2? I really can't see it at all

Effects-wise and soundtrack-wise X3 was better. That's about it.

newwaveboy87 said:
what happened to Toad and Sabretooth between X1 and X2? :confused:

Sabertooth fell from the statue of liberty and gave a boat by the docks a new sunroof. That's gotta hurt. Toad got zapped by lightning, hurled away from the statue of liberty and into the water. He MAY have survived, but for all intents and purposes didn't return to Magneto's side. The fact that we don't see them again is therefore not surprising.

Nightcrawler on the other hand... Not only did he survive the end of the movie, but he was seen as being part of a new family who was certainly happy to have him with them and they seemed to be getting along great.

they're never mentioned. Magneto never says anything of their fates. nothing. they just disappeared.
That's at least conistent with Magneto's style. His henchmen, like pawns in a chessgame, are disposable. Their sacrifices were necessary for the overall good of his humble cause. What a hero!

and, obviously, Kitty was lying about the real reason she was crying. seeing as how she pauses before saying the line about the snow back home and that scene happens the night of Xaiver's funeral.

Obviously? I dunno about that. If she really did care, there should have been some mention of how much she was upset or miss the Prof or her two teachers. She may not be the most outspoken char, but at least mentioning someone by name wouldn't be too much of a stretch. THen again, going ice skating did seem to cheer her up...

ntcrawler said:
Sabertooth fell from the statue of liberty and gave a boat by the docks a new sunroof. That's gotta hurt. Toad got zapped by lightning, hurled away from the statue of liberty and into the water. He MAY have survived, but for all intents and purposes didn't return to Magneto's side.

Obviously? I dunno about that. If she really did care, there should have been some mention of how much she was upset or miss the Prof or her two teachers. She may not be the most outspoken char, but at least mentioning someone by name wouldn't be too much of a stretch. THen again, going ice skating did seem to cheer her up...

Sabretooth has a healing factor. he's not dead. Toad's tongue hit by lightning that was being conducted through the pole, and seeing as how his basic structure was amphibean, and he landed in water, he most likely survived.

Nightcrawler also never officially joins the X-Men. at the end he's wearing his normal clothes while everyone else is in a uniform. mmmm....

and, you don't deal with teen girls very often, do you? good luck trying to get them to admit why they are really upset. they'll provide for you five other reasons/excuses, but not the real one.

WorthyStevens4 said:
Effects-wise and soundtrack-wise X3 was better. That's about it.

I'd even disagree on that, the car flip was tragically bad, and didn't flow, remember the dam scene in x2, that was great effects,they made a mini dam and everything!

ntcrawler said:
The pacing is part of the problem. But as far as being more emotional... tell me. Where was the emotion for Scott? The man is considered dead, and that's it. Even Xavier doesn't seem to like him. acting annoying that the man is STILL broken up over the loss of Jean. And then after his apparent death, there's no memorial, no funeral, no passing remarks. Nothing even remotely resembling "I miss Scott so much, Why did Jean have to take him away? Why???".I know the audience wasn't supposed to care much for him (or at least FOX assumed they wouldn't), but his closest friends and family too?

Well... I don't know if they all really knew Scott was dead for a while - he rode off almost as though leaving for good, Wolverine found his glasses, he challenged Jean and she couldn't answer, no one except Xavier seemed truly aware of what happened and Xavier died with that knowledge (no one heard what he said to Jean about killing the man she loved, apart from Magneto)... I don't think Xavier was annoyed that Scott was broken up, there was no annoyance in the dialogue.

ntcrawler said:
What about Angel's limited screen time then? Or the fast pace with which he went from hating his wings to loving his wings?

His screentime can be broken down into the following:

Scene 1: I hate my wings! WAH!!!
Scene 2: I love my wings!
Scene 3: Is this a safe haven for us mutants?
Scene 4: Don't worry daddy, I'll save you!

I thought Angel had a good introduction, equivalent to Nightcrawler's role in X2.

Scene 1 isn't 'I hate my wings', it's him fearing his family's reaction, trying to live up to his father's expectations. Scene 2 is his 'coming out' ('no, it's what YOU want) and choosing to live his own life free of parental pressures, Scene 3 is finding a place to be with others of his kind, Scene 4 is the forgiveness of his overbearing father...

ntcrawler said:
Or lack of any conflict on Beast's part regarding the temptations that the cure would offer to someone who looks like a cross between a gorilla and cookie monster? Surely that was worth something to him besides a passing glance at Jimmy and Dr Rao? No private moments of contemplation looking at pictures of himself from his more "human" days? And what about his scientist side? Why not show a scene of him working independently in the lab and coming to the realization that the Cure may not be as permanent as Worthington Labs claims it to be?

Good points - we did get his comments to Storm ('you don't shed on the furniture'). Might it have been difficult to show a picture of human beast? It then opens up a whole box about how/why/when he turned blue and furry... and it would either have to be a different human in the picture (the actor shown in X2...Steve Bacic???) or a picture of Kelsey Grammer (thus identifying the role as being played by 'Frasier' and spoiling the effect of all that make-up)...

ntcrawler said:

I can understand why it was easier to NOT mention Nightcrawler, as that too opens up a box of questions/issues. There was no move towards joining the X-Men in X2, he stood alongside them (not in their midst) at the end in the president's office, he was never in an X-uniform, he was just caught up in events. Nightcrawler only appeared in two episodes of the 90s cartoon, he never joined the team.

newwaveboy87 said:
Sabretooth has a healing factor. he's not dead. Toad's tongue hit by lightning that was being conducted through the pole, and seeing as how his basic structure was amphibean, and he landed in water, he most likely survived.

I agree. But being blasted by lightning did hurt. But I also wouldn't expect them to just run back up to Magneto either.

Nightcrawler also never officially joins the X-Men. at the end he's wearing his normal clothes while everyone else is in a uniform. mmmm....

He seemed to like being with his new friends nonetheless, he came in handy and they liked having him around and they got along great. Then he's suddenly gone without a parting remark? A bit sloppy.

and, you don't deal with teen girls very often, do you? good luck trying to get them to admit why they are really upset. they'll provide for you five other reasons/excuses, but not the real one.

I deal with them enough to understand the concept behind:

"what's wrong?"

"nothing."

However at the same time I believe you're trying to draw things out too much. I don't believe that scene and other scenes were meant to be that intelligent and deep. That would be giving the writers too much credit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"