Neon Genesis Evangelion Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Arkady Rossovich, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Venom160

Venom160 Enigmatic Loner

ok platinum edition it is, thanks for help Jourmugand.:up:

2. Timstuff

Timstuff Registered

Evangelion was one of the first Anime series that I really watched a lot of. I remember it all started when my older brother came home with this huge paper bag full of Anime tapes that he borrowed from a friend, and then Evangelion was one of the first ones he showed me.

I thought that the first half was good, but then it became pretty apparent that they were running out of money in later episodes. We actually never watched the final several episodes because his friend didn't have them, which may have been a good thing since I don't think my developing adolescant head would have been able to wrap around around a concept as bizzare as "instrumentality".

Currently the re-runs on Cartoon Network are up to about where I stopped watching, but I think it would be better if I just bought the Platinum DVD set and watched it from start to finish, and then try to hunt down a copy of "End of Evangellion". I've heard that none of the endings (the show and the two movies) are extremely ceherant or satasfying, but I'm told that EoE at least gives you some form of closure, even if it's somewhat ambiguous.

Overall, it was a decent show, even if it's rather flawed and falls off the deep end towards the end. I'm also looking forward to the live action movie that's being planned, even if it's probably not gonna be out for a pretty good while.

3. Arkady Rossovich

Arkady Rossovich Registered

The End Of Evangelion was done because when fans first saw the end of the series,they were shocked..and actually angry at the "happy" or plain ending.EoE was done to re-tell the last few episodes of the anime.

If you interested in buying EoE,its a fair warning that the english version is censored no matter what you do_One scene which was censored no matter what was when Eva Unit 01 ate Gendo Ikari.In the english version the Eva has him in his hand,then bites him.The scene then stops..

in the japanese version,the Eva actually bites Gendo and eats him.Blood spurts out,since Gendo is bitten in half.There is no way to get this scene uncut in a english version.

4. Tsunulia

Tsunulia Queen of the Kitties

My brain was so fried that I don't even remember that part 0.0

5. MaskedManJRK

MaskedManJRK Registered

I've been trying to find some of the anime before I see End, which is really high on my "to-see" list (because I really love movies that f**k with my head :)).

6. Tsunulia

Tsunulia Queen of the Kitties

Then End of Eva will definitely not dissapoint you

7. Timstuff

Timstuff Registered

8. MaskedManJRK

MaskedManJRK Registered

9. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

EVA isn't really worth owning in any version. Mainly for the ending.

I mean ****...what a ****ed up show.

ADV wants to turn this into a movie franchise. NO American audience will go for that ending. It would be a debacle.

10. mystic gohan

mystic gohan Registered

after hearing so much about this i decided go check it out and after one episode i think im hooked its great and i usualy dont like anime unless its the dubs too

11. November Rain

November Rain Single Mother

Chuck norris is the only official person to get the ending of eva...

heck i'm not surprised, he wrote the first draft and was asked to dumb it down for the released version.

12. Timstuff

Timstuff Registered

Yeah, I am actually rather curious as to how they will adapt the ending to a movie without alienating the audience. I've actually put a bit of thought into it though...

Spoiler-ish

I think that no matter what, instrumentality is going to have to be streamlined and/or watered down slightly so the audience has a slightly easier time grasping the concept. Even then, the idea of melting humanity into a primodial soup so their collective souls form a single conciouseness, and then somehow the process get's stopped and reversed is going to confuse many people, and some people will un doubtedly say "I wanted to see it end with a big fight/action scene, not a metaphysical psycho trip!"

Keeping instrumentality in the movies is obviousely a necessity, however it's possible that the producers/writers will take a rout that's sure to be much less popular with hardcore Eva fans, and "re-interperate" just what exactly it is. Rather than have instrumentality be an artificial metaphysical/spiritual evolution, it might be an attempt to make humanity literally evolve artificially, by creating a hostile world in which only the strong can survive. I personally do NOT like this idea very much, because it's much less interesting (like something you could see in a James Bond movie), and doesn't leave much room for interesting post-movie conversation.

My personal hope is that they keep the idea behind instrumentality more or less the same as in the Anime, but they're going to have to simplify it for average audienes to understand it. There's obviousely way to do it, and people are still going to leave the theater saying "Wow, that was effed up!", but I think what will really detirmine wether or not they'll leave the theater satasfied will be is if they offer more closure to the characters than the Anime did.

Americans typically haven't been extremely fond of wide-open endings. They want an epilogue, or a speech, or something to imply that things are getting better after all the turmoil they've just sat through. But can they do that without alienating the fans who claim that the open ending was one of the Anime's greatest achievements? Heck if I know, but they're not the ones the studio will be worried about up-and-leaving before the curtains close.

13. Caliber

Caliber Registered

I love the show. I hve the first five episode but I need the rest. I love how it is and it just makes me think. I love the characters on the show. I feel bad for Shinje(I hope thats how it spelled.)

14. WallCrawl

WallCrawl Registered

Shinji.

15. Killgore

Killgore Registered

Easy solution. Don't buy a class ring. It's a waste of money. You'll still be watching the anime in five years whereas you'll have pawned off the ring shortly after graduation.

16. Timstuff

Timstuff Registered

Yeah, class rings are overrated. My brother bought one and he wore it like, once, and now it's in a drawer somewhere. DVDs are a much better investment IMO. ^_^

17. Elijya

Elijya Registered

they would never go with the actual anime ending

if they do make a movie, they would HAVE to completely bastardize the plot. It could still be cool, but if you're a purist, you'll hate whatever they do

18. Timstuff

Timstuff Registered

*spoilerish for people who don't know the ending!*

The ending will obviousely be different in the live action movie, because otherwise they're going to loose the audience. I think they might be able to suspend their disbelief enough to accept the world's population start to get turned into gatorade and Shinji stopping it, and the people returning to their physical forms. But if they go any farther than that, including having Shinji temporarily aquire god-like powers, people are going to get up and leave.

So basically, I think that instrumentality needs to stay in the movie, because it's an essential plotpoint. But how it's depicted is going to have to be "dumbed down", for the sake of the audience, and because it was so effed up in the Anime.

19. Elijya

Elijya Registered

the ending won't be ANYTHING like the anime. The anime took 26 episodes to get to the ending, the movie has 2 hours, TOPS, and they aren't going to rush all the way to End of Evengelion. It will be completely different.

They probably won't even go into Instrumentality. Maybe there'll be some hints of it, for a potential sequel, but the movie will more likely just be a battle with one or two angels

20. Venom160

Venom160 Enigmatic Loner

you guys should check out this site, It says that the first movie is going to be based on the first six episodes of the series.

http://eva.trivialbeing.net/

21. Elijya

Elijya Registered

afaik, developement is in its baby stages, so I would take anything you hear as rumor and theory

22. Timstuff

Timstuff Registered

They're not going to cram the whole series into one movie. I read in numerous places that they're planning on leaving the door open for sequels, potentially resulting in a trilogy. The first movie will be the first "chunk" of the story, which introduces us to the characters and world.

I doubt that they'd go so far as to change the plot to "The Angels are aliens, and the climax is Shinji blowing up the queen Angel". That wouldn't even remotely resemble the Anime. I'm perfectly open to them changing the ending to it more simple and satasfying, but if they're going to fundamentally change what it's about then that's just plain stupid.

They definately need to make it be something more straightforward, but not to the point where there's nothing left of the original. The whole reason why things are the way they are in the show is because SEELE is playing god and messing with things they were never meant to, and if you get rid of that then all you have is a straight up Kaaju story.

23. Arkady Rossovich

Arkady Rossovich Registered

Movie?Evangelion in live action?I heard about that months ago,i heard it was all a rumor.Do you know how bad a movie can be done on Eva?Im not buying it.

Speaking of that...who shot Kaji,and what did Gendou say to Ritsuko before he shot her?There are alot of theories...

24. Timstuff

Timstuff Registered

Oh it's real all right, and the people behind it are extremely enthusiastic. It's probably not going to get underway for another year or so (and that's being almost blindly optimistic), but the people at Gainax, ADV, and Weta are really pushing the project hard. Wether or not it will be good is a somewhat iffy subject, but hopefully they'll get it right.

25. Venom160

Venom160 Enigmatic Loner

found some concept art for the movie.

Cockpit for unit 00.

[​IMG]

Berserk Unit 00

[​IMG]

Nerv HQ

[​IMG]

Rameil (I hope thats how its spelled)

[​IMG]