Neon Genesis Evangelion Mega Thread

Timstuff said:
I'm thinking about buying EoE sometime in the near future (I haven't seen it before), but there's something I need to know. My younger brother (who's 16) is probably going to be watching it, and aside from the gratuitous violence and jerk-off scene (which we'll likely be chapter-skipping), is there anything else I should be aware of before sitting him down infront of it? I know Rei is naked in the movie but it's "barbie doll-esque", correct?

the whole thing is tripped out and chapter skipping isn't wise cuz then you'll get even more lost

Timstuff said:
I'm thinking about buying EoE sometime in the near future (I haven't seen it before), but there's something I need to know. My younger brother (who's 16) is probably going to be watching it, and aside from the gratuitous violence and jerk-off scene (which we'll likely be chapter-skipping), is there anything else I should be aware of before sitting him down infront of it? I know Rei is naked in the movie but it's "barbie doll-esque", correct?

My personal opinion: I think he's at an age where he should be mature enough to watch something like that. But, if you're worried about that, you should probably let him know what happens, so that he is aware of it and tries to act maturely about the subject.

Tsunulia said:
the whole thing is tripped out and chapter skipping isn't wise cuz then you'll get even more lost

I'm guessing the chapters the movie is broken into are fairly large then. I suppose I could just use the time jump feature on my player (the scene is only like 5 minutes long anyway, right?)

The reason I ask is because last time we watched an Anime movie I picked, it was Ghost in the Shell (which I had never seen before). And needless to say, that didn't go over too well. :o

Timstuff said:
I'm guessing the chapters the movie is broken into are fairly large then. I suppose I could just use the time jump feature on my player (the scene is only like 5 minutes long anyway, right?)

The reason I ask is because last time we watched an Anime movie I picked, it was Ghost in the Shell (which I had never seen before). And needless to say, that didn't go over too well. :o

actually the most tripped part lasted about 20 minutes or more

Timstuff said:

What was so bad about Ghost in the Shell, if you don't mind my asking? :confused:

There was a bit too much nudity, and the context it was in was usually disturbing. I don't even remember what movie it was he had wanted to watch that night, but I ended up apologizing for not looking into the movie's content more before renting it, so hopefully that explains why I want to be careful about knowing what content is in EoE before we watch it.

Timstuff said:
There was a bit too much nudity, and the context it was in was usually disturbing. I don't even remember what movie it was he had wanted to watch that night, but I ended up apologizing for not looking into the movie's content more before renting it, so hopefully that explains why I want to be careful about knowing what content is in EoE before we watch it.

ya Masamune has the tendency to put raunchiness in his stuff. I picked up a GITS manga one time and had to stop reading it for the hentai like crap that was in there. that and the text got me lost, I can keep up with the anime but not the manga :(

Timstuff said:

you know what makes EoE even better? Watch it in the dark. Complete dark, no night lights, nothing. Awsome.

MaskedManJRK said:
Yeah, I figured that out when I got the fifth DVD.

Okay, few thoughts I had:

About Senji and the last Angel...we were supposed to think there was something...you know...between them, right? Just want to make sure.

Also, it said that the last episode on that DVD was the last one, yet there's another DVD with it. What's on that one? Is that the End stuff?

I have to say, this was some incredible stuff. I don't even mind Senji being such a man-b***h half the time, because of how he resolved it at the end. I'm not sure if this is answered in the next stuff or not, but do they mention that because of his changing of his perspectives, does that mean that everything we saw before might not be true anymore? The end with everyone congratulating him, even Amora (I think that's right, the German chick) and his father.

Could someone answer these please?

MaskedManJRK said:
You mean of the series itself or End?
the series, the reason I asked these questions is because I bought the platinum edition for myself for my birthday yesterday and spent the whole day watching it and I notice that I didnt see unit 1 with those glowing wings. And my head maybe pointed but the last two episodes went right over my head, what is supposed to be happening in those episodes? Is it the third impact and if so what caused it? And if the angel they're holding in central Dogma is Lilieth than where the bad place is Adam!? And who the bad place shot Misato and Ritsuko, was it Gendo? Argh my head feels like its going to explode!

Venom160 said:
the series, the reason I asked these questions is because I bought the platinum edition for myself for my birthday yesterday and spent the whole day watching it and I notice that I didnt see unit 1 with those glowing wings. And my head maybe pointed but the last two episodes went right over my head, what is supposed to be happening in those episodes? Is it the third impact and if so what caused it? And if the angel they're holding in central Dogma is Lilieth than where the bad place is Adam!? And who the bad place shot Misato and Ritsuko, was it Gendo? Argh my head feels like its going to explode!

I'm not sure about these myself (I only saw those episodes today). All I really know is that some outside force (maybe the Eva?) is forcing all the main characters into something (I remember a name you guys called it, but it's a long f**king thing and I don't remember, however, how to spell it) that is showing their flaws and trying to fix them for the better (though they only show Shinji actually solving this, and not anyone else, which is strange).

But, I think the wings thing is in End, though, 'cause I didn't see them either.

Timstuff - the brief masterbation scene is NOTHING, it's not graphic in the least. It's not even totally clear what he's doing. It's clear if you know, but if we hadn't told you in advance, you'd watch that scene and ask yourself "huh? what was that?" just as soon as you'd realize what he's doing. It is not like there's this graphic portrayal of Shinji's dong immitating the fountains in front of Ceasar;'s Palace or anything

and beside, if you're brother is 16, he's way too old to be babied. I'm sure he's seen Showgirls, or something comprable, by now. He's not going to be scarred or anything

I agree it's not scarring at all. Heck I'm a girl and not I'm mentally damaged by a tripped jerk scene, so your bro should be just fine. But seriously, watch it in the dark. :up:

I don't see what's so raunchy about the nudity in Ghost In The Shell.

TheVileOne said:

Being a girl and trying to read the manga duzn't work so well for me :(

TheVileOne said:

Not necessarily raunchy, but often disturbing or downright stupid. I can't understand for the life of me why the Major, an elite government operative needs to strip naked to use a cloaking device, but a 2-bit thug's cloaking device works while his clothes are still on. It's a rather large gap in logic, and I think the director just wanted an excuse to draw more nipples.

you do realize nudity can be symbolic, right?

I understood the symbolism, but it still didn't explain why a 2-bit street thug has a better cloaking device than a government agent. And also it doesn't really change the fact that I don't really think it was appropriate for my younger brother to watch.

Tim, come on, what were you like when you were 16?

I remember being ten years old and it was the life-quest of me and all my friends just to find our Dads Playboys. By 16, I could hardly care less if I saw boobs in a movie or not.

when he turns 17 in a year, he'll be able to buy or rent any R-Rated film he wants. Do you honestly think that on the night of his 17th birthday he magicly transforms into someone responsible enough to handle that? no, of course not, age requirements are an arbitrary social estimate for certain activities. It's completely possible that a certain 14 year old can be mature enough to handle seeing a little bit of flesh while a certain 20 year isn't. Age requirements are just an estimate.

If he's 16, he had sex ed in school YEARS ago, he should be fine. Does he have access to a computer? Then I can garauntee you he's probably looked up things 100 times worse in his own spare time.

Well, he didn't like it so I'm not going to bug him about it, and try my best to accomidate him.

???

didn't like what? the movie, the scene in question? what?

Niether of us really cared for the movie that much, but it was the nudity that was a big problem.

Gah, how did this thread get derailed so far off topic? :confused:

it's not derailed, we're still talking about Eva

Oh, I thought we were talking about GitS! :D

We have not seen EoE yet, but I do plan on skipping the jerking-off scene when we do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"