Netflix Adapting Frank Miller's CURSED (Starring Katherine Langford)

StarLord

<<<<<<<<<<
Reaction score

7b5VGzb.jpg

I wasn't paying attention to this, but it looks interesting.

The concept is interesting and the pictures look cool but uh... what is the degree of Frank Miller’s involvement in this? :ebr:

The concept is interesting and the pictures look cool but uh... what is the degree of Frank Miller’s involvement in this? :ebr:

Executive Producer only, I think.

Are we talking about the same Frank Miller?

Any amount of Frank Miller involvement is probably too much.

Executive Producer only, I think.
On a tv show the exec producer is the one calling the shots and making the story decisions. They're pretty much the equivalent of a film director and a film exec producer combined.

On a tv show the exec producer is the one calling the shots and making the story decisions. They're pretty much the equivalent of a film director and a film exec producer combined.

Hmm, well that's what's he's credited as when I Googled it. Could be wrong of course.

Well, the showrunner(s) is in charge. A show can have a number of executive producers. He could be a creator like J. J. Abrams was to Lost, but regardless his graphic novel is the source material.

Edit: Make that illustrated novel, which I guess is just a novel with a lot of illustrations.

Not really feeling this teaser.

Can't really make heads or tails here. Just curious if the entire show will use ramping or just the trailer? That effect will turn some people off of it automatically.

That reminds me of Spartacus. I was initially put off by it when that show started with it, but it didn't do it all the time and I got used to it and thought it fit the general nature of the show. As much as there is of it here, I doubt it's completely a trailer thing, but it could be exaggerated.

Some of it I wouldn't mind. If Cursed does it a lot, it doesn't necessarily make the show bad, but it could hurt my interest enough that I don't watch.

They need to do some speed ramping when Katherine Langford is getting out of the water

Eh, it looked okay, though Warrior Nun looks better, but I will watch both at some point.

Okay, that's much better. Now I want to see it.

Anyone else watching this yet? I'm 5 episodes in and I'm actually enjoying it so far. I am really liking Gustaf Skarsgard as Merlin and I was unsure about Katherine Langford in this kind of role at first, but she's quite good and looks believable when it comes to the sword wielding action.

I’ve seen the first episode. As far as the first episodes goes for the newer Netflix fantasy shows, not quite Witcher levels but better than the first episode of Warrior Nun which I dropped. Will continue to watch. I agree about those two actors so far.

It's pretty, visuals are nice but just forget everything you know about about the Arthurian legend even if what you know is not much.
This is a "today" show, men are crap, women are better, it's not on your face but some dialogue lines mmh.
Ygrain is Morgana is lesbian, Arthur is a thief and a scum, Uther is a joke and not even a legit king.
Merlin, I like the actor in Vikings, but his Merlin is a mix between Floki and Jack Sparrow, so not very original.
It's very watchable, don't get me wrong, sets are good, vibrant colors in the forest, good production value and the actors are ok.

PS : I'm at ep 06.

Last edited:
Almost hard for me to believe Frank Miller had anything to do with this series. So...maybe that's a good thing?

Things I like:

* A lot of strong female characters
* Tries to do something different with Arthurian legend
* Gustaf Skarsgard's Merlin is fun
* Hope that the Pope Abel will become new main villain
* Embraces magic and fantasy elements

What I don't like:

* Forced conflict and obstacles
* The Iris subplot character is awful; Like seriously, no one notices this devilish child being devilish in full view of everybody? She doesn't even look like she's trying to blend in.
* Stretching out the character reveals like OMG WHAT A TWIST, I find kind of phony and nonsensical; Like this is nothing like any existing takes on Arthurian legends, so the reveals for these characters isn't that much of a twist
* Everything is so colorful and brightly lit, and then you have these instances where these really dark, grim and bleak things happen.
* It just seems everything the heroes tries to do goes predictably bad for everyone around them; makes them hard to like
* Hard to like the Fey when the first thing we see them do is treating Nimue like utter trash. Like the Fey are a tribe of nonhumans of various races. Why is Nimue's ability and powers so scary
* Pop-style song usage is ugh. There was this like pop-style rock song thrown in for a love scene and made the show feel like bad YA/Twilight-stuff.
* Peter Mullan's father Carden fairly boring, typical religious fanatic villain. The Pope character seemed like he'd make a much better villain. He seems rather weak and doddering at first, then sort of pops up and is surprisingly frightening.
* No idea what was going on with Widow/Morgana; They throw in these things that are very confusing and weird that don't really have a good setup.
* Really bad CG violence. Like that part where Nimue cuts someone in half
* Just call it Excalibur already. Yeesh. It's not He-Man's sword.

Almost hard for me to believe Frank Miller had anything to do with this series. So...maybe that's a good thing?

Miller was (thankfully) just the illustrator of the novel and is one of the executive producers of the show. Tom Wheeler is the novel's writer and showrunner (I think I saw some of the screenplays for the show are adapted by women). So we're not getting The Spirit or Gotham City turned into Sin City here.

This show does have plenty of problems like the Iris subplot not making all that much sense and Peter Mulan being such a one note villain, but I still enjoyed it and actually found it a lot easier to binge than Warrior Nun which was honestly kind of a struggle once it got to the middle episodes. There are some cool twists to the Arthurian mythology here and I actually found some of the characters pretty damn interesting like Merlin,The Weeping Monk, Gawain The Green Knight, Cumber the Ice King and The Widow, although I do agree that it wasn't really explained that well when it came to her scenes with Morgana. It definitely embraces its fantasy elements though which is always a plus, but I do wish we didn't get so much CGI violence and gore because every time that stuff would happen it would take me right out of the show and it just looked really cheap and awful the majority of the time.It is actually a pretty beautiful looking show for the most part IMO even though it never comes close to matching the cinematic quality of Game of Thrones or even The Witcher at times, but I did like seeing all the vibrant colors and lush cinematography when it was on screen.

Speaking of those shows though I really do hope they also find there footing when it comes the overall tone of this show if it does get a second season, because man was it all over the place.

Saw the first episode and it kind of dragged but I’ll stick around just for some more Katherine Langford

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"