Netflix's The Witcher - General Discussion Thread

I’ve only played Witcher 3 and I didn’t feel lost at all.

:up:

I may get the 2nd & 3rd, only reason to avoid the 1st is purely because I think it looks like dated graphically. The 2nd doesn't seem too bad & the 3rd is obviously fairly recent.

I only played a tiny bit of number 2 and hated it. I started with 3 and loved it so give it a go

Reactions: B
The Witcher 3 is definitely on my list, but I have a few large games on the go already and I don't like playing more than a few at once.

Yeah it’s definitely a time gobbler and there’s so much to play at the moment. Still, it’s worth checking out when you’re ready

Wow they are already doing a prequel spinoff? And about the Conjunction of Spheres?

They probably had time to puke out a script for this one while sitting in the quarantine.

I'll check it out for ****s and giggles, but I'm not expecting anything good from Hissrich.

Good to see more from this universe although I would have expected spinoffs to wait till after season 2 at least.

They probably had time to puke out a script for this one while sitting in the quarantine.

I'll check it out for ****s and giggles, but I'm not expecting anything good from Hissrich.
I agree completely. The more i think about the show the more all the bad aspects come to the fore. Terribly written, poorly lit, badly edited... it had a few glimmers of greatness, but nothing could save it from being an inconsistent MESS. I really, REALLY liked anya so i will check out the second season. But the first one was far from peak TV. The showrunner is incompetent. The way she combats any (valid) criticism doesnt give me any hope they will improve.

Can’t wait for more. I wonder if Henry will play the lead again if it’s a prequel?

Geralt is around 60-80 years old (books) and around 100 in the games, not 1000. So nope.

I've been rewatching Black Sails over the past couple weeks and it really hits home one of the key issues with The Witcher. On Black Sails, the clothing, the sets, etc. all look distressed and dirty. Everything looks lived in because it takes place at a time where washing clothes and hair and cleaning wounds weren't frequent occurrences. Too much stuff on The Witcher looks pristine - particularly Geralt's armor despite the fact that he goes around slaying demons and getting in fights with everyone he runs into. I hope they do a better job of making future seasons look a little less hokey.

Last edited:
I've been rewatching Black Sails over the past couple weeks and it really hits home one of the key issues with The Witcher. On Black Sails, the clothing, the sets, etc. all look distressed and dirty. Everything looks lived in because it takes place at a time where washing clothes and hair and cleaning wounds weren't frequent occurrences. To much stuff on The Witcher looks pristine - particularly Geralt's armor despite the fact that he goes around slaying demons and getting in fights with everyone he runs into. I hope they do a better job of making future seasons look a little less hokey.

That and Zach McGowan as Vane IS Geralt.

This is a prequel that takes place during the time of the conjunction of spheres. At that time was when the elves were rulers of the world and humans were sent to it, along with other monsters.

The main reason I'm interested in this show is to see how they depict the birth of the Witchers and who they will characterize as the first Witchers.

Not sure I trust these people to depict or canonize the specific events and details of the conjunction of the spheres and origin of the witchers. I think I'd rather have the Conjunction and origin of the witchers detailed and dealt with in a game by CDPR.

Not sure I trust these people to depict or canonize the specific events and details of the conjunction of the spheres and origin of the witchers. I think I'd rather have the Conjunction and origin of the witchers detailed and dealt with in a game by CDPR.

LOL, I think I'd rather CDPR get to adapt and canonize everything from the books, but it's not my call. Plus, Netflix got Sapkowski's full sign off, so whatcha gonna do?

I think the main issue is that Conjunction of Spheres is a monumental event that's almost like myth of this universe. And what I mean by that, is that it's left rather vague in the books. It's this huge event that sort of paved the entire future of this world, but it's also shrouded in mystery.

So if you like things being kept sort of mysterious and ambiguous, which I personally do, this show will technically lift that veil of ambiguity and likely explain every beat of what happened.

Mere speculation or a prediction on my part: I imagine that humans coming to this world will be depicted sort of like an allegory to white colonial settlers coming to the New World. Elves will be seen as a stand in for Native Americans and First Nations people.

Does he still have to wear contacts? Poor guy I hope he doesn’t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"