Netflix Vs. Blockbuster (New Terms & Rates)

We only have a Movie Gallery near me (local chain video store)

And as for the mailing service like Blokbuster access or netflix... we don't rent often enough to join up with one of those services.

One thing that I regret is I used to work at Hollywood video for about 2 months and was able to get free rentals. But I never did it. I have no idea what the hell I was thinking.

Well yeah I see what you're talking about when it comes to T.V shows and stuff.

But, I mean, imagine all those Blockbusters running out of business, all those people out of jobs and stuff.

Just because of having a certain thing in or not.

so i should give my money to an inferior company, that has an inferior selection, and offers an inferior service just to keep their doors open for the sake of their employees? how about they actually DO something to better themselves as a company and EARN the money they need to keep their people employed.

Nah, I'm fine with Blockbuster and Hastings.

If they don't have the movie in at the time I go, hold on, let me get a boat I'm about to cry a river.

If the movie is so important that you HAVE TO HAVE IT that second, then why the **** didn't you just see it in the theater?

Good point... except I was born twenty years after "Easy Rider" came out... and forty-three years after "The Long Weekend"... the fact is, Blockbuster's selection sucks, and if I want to watch an old classic... perhaps even an obscure classic... I'm SOL... but Netflix has some of the most obscure old movies, and I've never had a problem with them at all in the year or so I've been using it...

I remember back in the day, i used to rent games from block buster. Only to be charged late the full price each day i was late. Also it had to be back before noon on the return date. What a piece of **** place. **** them, ill never go there again.

Meanwhile, my netflix is awesome. Gives me the newest movies the day they come out. Send out movies the same day they get them. I love it.

I think if Netflix dropped their extra charge for Blu-ray rentals, I would switch over from Blockbuster Online

Ive had Netflix for a bit now and now that I have it on my 360, its even better....I worked for Blockbuster for 2 1/2 years but they started the online thing way too late

try this... take like 5 months, and don't see ANY movies, except what's free on your TV (hey, Sundance on demand has some good stuff)

then, after those 5 months... just go to Wal-Mart, go to the discount bins, and you can find those films, that were new 5 months ago, for like 4.99 or less....

I remember when I was working at BB...some girl came in looking for one of the season of 'Queer as Folk' and I said we had it last month but it got pulled...she tried to make a big deal, like the company was prejudiced against gays (it was late on a tuesday night, so no one was really around)..and I said no...if something doesn't rent for 120 - 150 consecutive days, we have to remove it....she promptly got quiet

try this... take like 5 months, and don't see ANY movies, except what's free on your TV (hey, Sundance on demand has some good stuff)

then, after those 5 months... just go to Wal-Mart, go to the discount bins, and you can find those films, that were new 5 months ago, for like 4.99 or less....

In America, we get things when we want it, and when we want it is NOW.

I haven't rented a movie in years.

There's 2 blockbusters 5 minutes away from me, but the past few times I went there they never had the movies I wanted.

I've never tried Netflix. I've heard good things about it. They had some special streaming trial thought my Xbox 360, but my internet is always on the fritz so I didn't want to do that. I'd try them one day, but since I haven't rented a movie in years I don't feel the need to rent ever.

Plus if I want to see a movie THAT bad, I'll stream it online from a DVD rip or something. And I don't find that illegal because I personally didn't rip the DVD and if I like the movie, I'll buy it.

Netflix, hands down. It's "watch instantly" feature alone is better than Blockbuster.

I can't stand going to rent movies at Blockbuster anymore. I live in a fairly large city, and there are always 30 minute lines, awful selections, and the customers and workers in there are just the worst kind of person. I figure for Netflix, I can get four, five movies delivered a month for the cost of about two at the store, plus unlimited free movies online.

Netflix because of the selection and service. Also, when they arrive I know I have to watch them instead of killing time on the computer which is great. There are tons of movies I never would've seen if it wasn't for Netflix.

Last edited:
2 years later and this thread still needs a poll added.

Anyway, the only advantage Blockbuster has at this point is that there's no extra fee for Blu-Ray DVDs.

Other than that, Netflix still rules due to selection.

9 years with Netflix and counting and have been loving it ever since. They have such a better selection that Blockbuster and my turn around is fast. I mail a movie Monday and have the next one by Wednesday.
My buddy prefers Blockbuster because he has 2 stores right near him. Everyone has their preferences. I just prefer the ease of Netflix. I get movies in the mail. I can stream hundreds through the xbox and watch them on anyone of my Windows PC's.

I wouldn't say Redbox is in serious competition just yet. it has a ways to go and can't get all new releases. It can't get any Universal movies right now because of the lawsuit.

Redbox is a dvd service that is in a lot of grocery stores. it's like $1 a day to rent DVD's. Plus they don't have Blu-Ray, older releases and tv shows.

Netflix all the way. It isn't even a competition when they beat Blockbuster in every possible way, save one (and not everyone's gonna care about Blu-ray prices).

Yeah, but the fact that redbox > Blockbuster in terms of a threat to Netflix is a slap in the face.

Also, instead of ending up on the Long Wait list at Netflix for new titles, you can hit up a redbox and get it for a $1.

Thus freeing up space for older movies on your netflix queue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"