Netflix's Live-Action Avatar: The Last Airbender

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Bam-Bam, Oct 15, 2018.

1. XtremelyBaneful xoxxxoooxo

this is such an ignorant post.
    ah, yeah. I guess that mean whoever was doing the casting didn't involve either of them. this also probably doesn't bode well for the series overall.

Ray of Hope and Sithborg like this.
  2. Kev4000 Registered

Thank you.

3. XtremelyBaneful xoxxxoooxo

that wasn't a compliment. I was serious

4. Kev4000 Registered

And I was sarcastic. :oldrazz:

I dont see a problem casting a Filipino-Canadian, an Indigenous and a Chinese-Indonesian-American for this. I dont know which ethnicy Ousley has, but he looks good in that ensemble as well. So no way for speaking of whitewashing cast for me.

And if you want an Asian citizen, no American-Asian people or someone who lives/grown up in the US (because that is the argument for whitewashing here, isnt it?) then you cant argue with the problem that no 11yo kid can speak english fluent without an accent. I dont see what is so much ignorant about that assumption. Maybe you can enlight me.

5. XtremelyBaneful xoxxxoooxo

I am aware of that too, but I didn't want to play into the sarcasm. Otherwise I would've said "you're welcome."
    Wait, I thought we were talking about Aang here?

I've said in my posts that Ousley doesn't make it totally clear what his heritage is, it seems like he never spoke about it and kept that private. But Google searches do point to him being caucasian. And if the casting director was of the mindset that you suggest ("yeah he's white, but he looks like he could be indigenous or brown so let's just cast him") then that absolutely would be whitewashing. Looking like an ethnicity does not make you part of that ethnicity. Ousley already doesn't look like Sokka, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say he looks good in that ensemble.
    it's ignorant of you to assume that there is no child actor of Asian descent that can fit the role. obviously you are wrong since they did cast a boy who does.

but I think you are conflating two different things here. if there is any whitewashing going in with these casting choices, it would only be with Sokka's. and when I say whitewash, I mean casting a white actor/actress in a role for a character that isn't white. to put it simply.

whitewashing doesn't mean casting an Asian American actor in an Asian character's role. Asian Americans are of Asian descent. I never said I wanted an Asian citizen, and I don't think anyone else in this thread said that either. I think you don't fully understand what whitewashing in film means. it's not about citizenship, almost never applies.

#155 XtremelyBaneful, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  6. Detective Conan Registered

7. Sithborg Registered

Well, it seems like they changed their mind on sexing it up.

Teelie likes this.
  8. TheWiseGuy487 Feelin’ blue (???) (Undecided/still figuring out)

Nice to see that rumor about them aging up Katara to be the older sibling and a potential love interest for Zuko wasn’t true. Let’s hope those recent character descriptions that were released turn out to be not true as well.

Also, looks like some decent crew working on this. Nikita was a great show, so nice to have one of its producers be the show runner on this at least.

If that even was a thing to begin with and not some clickbait rumor someone drummed up to create controversy.

9. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Sokkas actor isn't white, he's at least half Asain?

10. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Cool to see that the casting rumors/speculation were correct.

11. TheWiseGuy487 Feelin’ blue (???) (Undecided/still figuring out)

So, after doing a little more digging, not only was the rumor about them aging up Katara to be the eldest sibling and have a potential future romance with Zuko totally wrong, but those horrible character descriptions were completely made up.

If that’s the case, why did the original creators leave this project to begin with? Because, from what I can tell so far, I’m not seeing anything super egregious that would have them make that decision.

Though, it would be kinda funny if it was the opposite of what we thought, and Bryke wanted to actually keep the romance stuff, and the new creatives wanted to axe or downplay it.

12. Teelie Jokerface

It is a better announcement than what I was expecting but they still haven't filmed anything yet let alone aired it to know if this is going to be good or another trainwreck.

13. Silvermoth Krakoan native

Cool! I hope everyone treats them nicely

14. gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

Well, the looks are pretty spot on. So that's a start.

15. XtremelyBaneful xoxxxoooxo

Yes and Native American. So I'm sorry for casting doubt on his heritage. I'll admit I was wrong and I'm glad to see they aren't whitewashing after all.

Lencho01 and Primal Slayer like this.
  16. CabooseBlue Registered

Man the rumored plot sucks. After everyone turned out 100 % right after Masters Of The Universe be scared people

17. TheWiseGuy487 Feelin’ blue (???) (Undecided/still figuring out)

With Revelations, the plot centering around Teela had been known since it was first announced. Those “scoopers” didn’t stumble on some big revelation and weren’t some “enlightened” crusader uncovering some conspiratorial, hidden truth. It’s literally in the official synopsis released by Netflix!

“A radical return to Eternia, Revelation is a direct sequel series to the classic era of Masters of the Universe. Featuring fan-favorites He-Man, Orko, Cringer and Man-At-Arms, the story pits our heroic warriors and guardians of Castle Grayskull against Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, Beast Man and the vile legions of snake mountain!

But after a ferocious final battle forever fractures Eternia, it’s up to Teela to solve the mystery of the missing Sword of Power in a race against time to prevent the end of the Universe! Her journey will uncover the secrets of Grayskull at last. This is the epic He-Man and the Masters of the Universe saga fans have waited 35 years to see!”

With this, those “rumors” came from one website. One, and no reliable sources have confirmed those rumors.

Big difference.

Also, for what it’s worth, I actually really enjoyed Revelations and understand if some people might not like certain aspects, but the whole hubbub about “Kevin Smith ruining He-Man” and making it go full “woke and SJW” is completely overblown.

KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  18. Pennywise Registered

19. Pennywise Registered

#170 Pennywise, Aug 16, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Lencho01 likes this.
  20. Pennywise Registered

21. Pennywise Registered

22. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

23. Detective Conan Registered

Teelie, Lencho01 and Pennywise like this.