Netflix's Live-Action Avatar: The Last Airbender General Discussion Thread

Danie Dae Kim played Hiroshi Sato in Korra and now he's Ozai.

From a Bad Dad who redeemed himself....to well THE Bad Dad

Awesome casting for Uncle Iroh!

If you haven't, check out Kim's Convenience!

Not hugely familiar with this property, but as an eternal LOST stan, it’s great to see both Jin and Miles in the mix here.

I was mad as hell after the original creators left the project.

But this is some awesome casting, might actually be excited again.

I was mad as hell after the original creators left the project.

But this is some awesome casting, might actually be excited again.
As long as it's not as bad as the Shamylan movie, I think this one could be good.

Perfect, this is really going to be his moment to shine

So, apparently Albert Kim was a producer and writer on the Nikita series that ran from 2010-2013, and wrote some of the series’ best episodes.

(He also had a small stint on that Sleepy Hollow series, but that was more of a Len Wiseman and Orci/Kurtzman vehicle, so that doesn’t count.)

Considering Kim’s resume, this could bode well for the live-action Avatar. Nikita had really great overarching season plots woven through individually well-written standalone episodes, but never lost focus of the characters’ development and their individual arcs throughout the show. And, despite the last season being cut down to only 6 episodes, it still managed to payoff pretty much any dangling story threads, stuck the landing and ended on a satisfying note. That is definitely something that this show needs.

I don’t know, guys, I’m feeling much better about this show than another certain adapted property that came out recently. This actually has someone who has the pedigree to back him up.

Also, Nikita had some really good dialogue between its characters throughout the show. No dumb, try-hard, quippy, Whedon-y dialogue.

I'm very weary about this show after Cowboy Bebop. The visuals, props, costumes, and production values were terrible.

I'm very weary about this show after Cowboy Bebop. The visuals, props, costumes, and production values were terrible.

While I am still keeping a cautious eye on this, the way the live-action Cowboy Bebop turned had more to do with Tomorrow Studios and the talent they hired on to do everything. Andre Nemec’s main major credit to his name is the live action TMNT films (which explains the juvenile humor and dialogue), and most of the writing and production team have only worked in low quality television shows that weren’t that good either. The people that did have a bit more pedigree were still hampered by poor direction and not much to work with. Hell, one of the cinematographers who worked on The Last Jedi did the cinematography for the first two episodes of the series, but wouldn’t know it from watching them. It’s like giving old rusted construction tools and equipment to professionals and telling them to build a mansion.

A lot of the main set and art production people working on this have actual film experience. They’re utilizing the same projection tech used on The Mandalorian. The main writer and executive producer helping to lead this adaptation wrote and produced for Nikita, a consistently, well-written 73 episode long series, with quality character development and overarching plots, that, despite being on the CW, made the most of its budget with a lot of high quality, almost cinematic action. If he could do that on the CW, imagine what he could do with Netflix money.

Also, Netflix has Stranger Things and Shadow and Bone, and those shows don’t look cheap.

Basically, one show’s quality doesn’t mean doom for other adaptations. If this show fails, it won’t be because of Netflix. It will only be because the people working on this show didn’t give it their all.

As much as I'm prepared for this to totally suck, I DO have a little faith in Albert Kim. He did great work on Nikita. But idk, I think the odds are against him here. We'll see.

While I am still keeping a cautious eye on this, the way the live-action Cowboy Bebop turned had more to do with Tomorrow Studios and the talent they hired on to do everything. Andre Nemec’s main major credit to his name is the live action TMNT films (which explains the juvenile humor and dialogue), and most of the writing and production team have only worked in low quality television shows that weren’t that good either. The people that did have a bit more pedigree were still hampered by poor direction and not much to work with. Hell, one of the cinematographers who worked on The Last Jedi did the cinematography for the first two episodes of the series, but wouldn’t know it from watching them. It’s like giving old rusted construction tools and equipment to professionals and telling them to build a mansion.

A lot of the main set and art production people working on this have actual film experience. They’re utilizing the same projection tech used on The Mandalorian. The main writer and executive producer helping to lead this adaptation wrote and produced for Nikita, a consistently, well-written 73 episode long series, with quality character development and overarching plots, that, despite being on the CW, made the most of its budget with a lot of high quality, almost cinematic action. If he could do that on the CW, imagine what he could do with Netflix money.

Also, Netflix has Stranger Things and Shadow and Bone, and those shows don’t look cheap.

Basically, one show’s quality doesn’t mean doom for other adaptations. If this show fails, it won’t be because of Netflix. It will only be because the people working on this show didn’t give it their all.

That doesn't convince me the show will look better yet. Also, they definitely cheaped out on the later Marvel Netflix seasons, that much is undeniable. Those were Netflix and ABC Studios co-productions.

That doesn't convince me the show will look better yet. Also, they definitely cheaped out on the later Marvel Netflix seasons, that much is undeniable. Those were Netflix and ABC Studios co-productions.

The Marvel Netflix shows were cheaped out on because Ike Perlmutter was a penny pinching *****enozzle, not because Netflix wasn’t willing to increase the budgets. Certainly wasn’t a problem for Stranger Things.

Also, as popular as Cowboy Bebop is, it’s popularity isn’t as widespread as Avatar’s. It’s a niche of a niche, so it looking cheap and being a poor adaptation isn’t going to piss as many people off. Not the same with Avatar. It’s fanbase is huge, and we already saw the response to the last attempt. The people working on this adaptation know they can’t afford to screw up this time. They have to get it right. If they strike out, that’s it, they’re done.

Look, I get your concern, but one bad live-action anime adaptation isn’t going to dissuade me from keeping an open mind on this. Unless I hear some other really odd or troubling things about the production or read bad reviews when it’s released, I’m going to remain cautiously intrigued.

As much as I'm prepared for this to totally suck, I DO have a little faith in Albert Kim. He did great work on Nikita. But idk, I think the odds are against him here. We'll see.
Since this does have prominently Asian creative teams behind this with an Asian cast, I’m really rooting for this to work. I think everything Kim has said publicly about this project at least leaves me with the impression he understands and respects the property, and hopes to preserve the original DNA of the show. I just hope that this show isn’t neither a slavish recreation of the show nor a show that takes questionable liberties with the source material just for the sake of being different. This has to be an adaption that has to stand apart from the animation all while capturing and honoring the original spirit. I think Kim understands the assignment, now whether he can pull it off or another question entirely. Fingers crossed. If nothing else, it will definitely end up being better than the M. Night film(not a high bar to clear, I know). Regardless I hope for the best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"