Netflix's One Piece Live-Action TV Show

zenith16

Avenger
Reaction score
And it's being made by North American studio, two articles on this one in video mostly, with the most recent details . And the other in written form

hqdefault.jpg
[FONT=Roboto !important]08:37
[/FONT]

[YT]QfGoBCKFJdg[/YT]
One Piece Live-Action TV Show Announced - The Rundown - Electric Playground

5 hours ago
[FONT=Roboto !important]Published on 07/31/2017

[FONT=Roboto !important]Today in the Rundown, [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Roboto !important][FONT=Roboto !important]We set sail with the first details on a live-action Hollywood adaptation of the Japanese manga series One Piece!We also find out when you'll be able to
[FONT=&quot]play the next Monster Hunter game, have new intel on the future of the Battlefield series, sink our teeth into the latest on Ark: Survival Evolved, have loads of new info about new TV shows from AMC, and finally, get digital with the Avatar sequels.

Also with

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
one-piece-1012024-640x320.png

ONE PIECE[/FONT]
One Piece Creator Has An Ideal Cast For Its Live-Action TV Show

[FONT=&quot]07/24/2017 11:37 pm - Megan Peters[/FONT]
Read more

source: EPN.tv& Comicbook.com

Last edited:
Actual article from Deadline:

http://deadline.com/2017/07/japanes...e-developed-live-action-tv-series-1202139141/

Marty Adelstein and his Tomorrow Studios has partnered with Shueisha on the series adaptation of Japanese comic series One Piece, the best-selling manga series in history.

The live action adaptation will be executive produced by One Piece publisher Shueisha and author Eiichiro Oda, alongside Adelstein (Good Behavior, Prison Break) and Becky Clements (Good Behavior, Snowpiercer) through Tomorrow Studios.

One Piece follows the adventures of Monkey D. Luffy and his pirate crew as they explore a fantastical world of endless oceans and exotic islands in search of the world’s ultimate treasure known as “One Piece” to become the next Pirate King.

In 1997, Oda’s wildly popular story was first serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump magazine in Japan. Over 416 million copies have been published worldwide. The series also made history in 2015 obtaining the Guinness World Record title for having the most copies published for the same comic book series by a single author.

“I’ve been a fan of One Piece for 20 years. I am so honored that Shueisha and Oda-san have entrusted me with such a cherished iconic property,” said Adelstein. “I will do everything in my power to make the One Piece TV series an absolute success. While I expect this to be one of the most expensive shows ever done in television, the worldwide interest is tremendous and will be well worth the financial commitment.”

Hiroyuki Nakano, Editor-In-Chief of Weekly Shonen Jump at Shuiesha, added, “It is a great honor for Shueisha to collaborate with Tomorrow Studios on the One Piece live-action TV series. Marty understands the original comics and has the same vision as us for the live-action adaptation. We trust that he and his team at Tomorrow Studios will be able to produce a TV series reflecting Eiichiro Oda’s vision.”

“I received numerous offers for live action adaptations for One Piece. Three years ago, I finally decided to take a step forward on a live-action adaptation,” said Oda.

“After twists and turns, I met the right partner. It is a great coincidence yet pleasure that I’m able to announce the live action adaptation today on the 20th anniversary of One Piece. The first condition I presented is that ‘the live-action will be faithful to the fans who have supported One Piece for 20 years.’ I expect to hear worries from fans but more than that, I’m looking forward to hearing the excitement. Stay tuned for more news on the project!”

I will just say it right now. One Piece is impossible to adapt into a live-action version for a Hollywood audience. Especially on a TV budget. You can't boil down that story into a digestible version for an audience that's rabid for things like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad. Not to mention all the general weirdness in the show, creatures and beings of all shapes and sizes. It can't even really be done on a Game of Thrones budget. Not to mention a cast of thousands of characters.

We saw what happened when Hollywood got a hold of Dragon Ball. Just saying.

The show has true potential to be bigger than Game of Thrones and Walking Dead if done right. It will, however, have to stray from the manga and anime because Japanese sense of humor is not to American tastes. The budget for this show will be insane if it becomes successful. Lets hope it doesn't end up like Water World.

Am a huge One Piece, so i'm terrified of how bad this might end up being.

I think the general world and concept of a wanna be pirate is adaptable. For some of the islands they could simply take XVII century architecture and exagerate it. While in other islands they could make something more dreamlike a la Alice in Wonderland.

But they will need to vastly dial down the style and scale of the fights. I can't see them being able to make a believable three-sworded Zoro. And plenty of the stuff that operated under Looney Tunes logic will have to be discarded.

I'm hoping for the best, but frankly expecting the worst. My fear of them straying too far from the source material isn't as much in them not wanting to pull off the exagerated style, but simply discarding the main storylines in favor of inventing new ones or changing them in a way that makes them much weaker, like Walking Dead did.

According to the show creator Marty Adelstein, the show will start at the first saga. To me that's good news.

https://lrmonline.com/news/one-piece-live-action-hollywood-series-to-begin-with-east-blue-arc/

He's been saying all the right things so far, but the fact that his production company seems kinda small makes me worried for a project like this that will need a big budget in order to realy work.

Last edited:
Yes but how do you translate all the outlandish concepts of One Piece into live-action and make it good and believable? Not to mention all the different types of races and weird concepts and beings. All the giant humanoids and such. One of the members of the Straw Hats is an anthropomorphic reindeer who can take multiple forms. His base form makes him look like a little chibi teddy bear.

latest

How do you turn that into a live-action concept that mainstream US audiences will watch and understand?

How do you make a god of mischief with a huge horned helmet work on-screen? How do you make a film with a talking raccoon, a huge man-tree and a humanoid mantis woman seem believable?

Yet, Marvel made it work. It's not impossible.

I'm not saying it's gonna be good. Just that there are ways it could potentialy work. Making the admirals 3 meters or more was an aesthetic choice in Eichira Oda's part, but not every character would need to be like that in the show. They could save that for the fishmen and actual giants.

Chopper will be difficult to do if they get there, but mainly due to budget reasons. As Rocket Raccoon has shown, people will buy the concept if the character and story he's in are good.

East Blue's the most manageable in terms of concepts. If they do not get that saga right, they won't ever get anything right later on. In terms of tone, they could keep to something similar to Guardians of the Galaxy but without the pop culture references. But i do fear no budget being big enough and this becoming like Inhumans.

Loki looks like a human played by the handsome Tom Hiddleston.

So basically you are saying make them all look like handsome regular humans?

Loki looks like a human played by the handsome Tom Hiddleston.

So basically you are saying make them all look like handsome regular humans?

No, i was giving an example of what looked ridiculous on comic books too: His costume. And it was adapted well.

If you wanna talk about faces, the Pirates of the Caribbean films were successful in bringing fish men to the big screen 10 years ago. They still look amazing. Game of Thrones has also given us believable looking giants on a tv budget.

Anyway, for Season 1 their major worries would probably be figuring out how different the main characters and the East Blue villains would be. Like figuring out how to pull off fish men on a tv budget.

No, i was giving an example of what looked ridiculous on comic books too: His costume. And it was adapted well.

If you wanna talk about faces, the Pirates of the Caribbean films were successful in bringing fish men to the big screen 10 years ago. They still look amazing. Game of Thrones has also given us believable looking giants on a tv budget.

OK, but Dead Man's Chest was a $250 million Disney movie starring Johnny Depp. And there are fish people in that movie yes, and a giant sea creature.
That's proportionally a FRACTION of all the general weirdness in one piece. but in One Piece you have fish people, giants, you have the Grand Line, the New World, you have underwater cities, cursed fruits that give you crazy powers, Hakki Super Powers, people that have tons of weird transformation powers, a land where human beings were turned into living toys, giant humanoids, and all sorts of various other races, not just fish people.

Anyway, for Season 1 their major worries would probably be figuring out how different the main characters and the East Blue villains would be. Like figuring out how to pull off fish men on a tv budget.

IMHO you can't pull off live-action One Piece on a TV budget and have it look good. You'd need serious feature-level money.

A TV show based on the first arc?

Where does this exactly end? When the Straw Hats get to the Grand Line?

Season 1 is 10 episodes....assuming we at least see Luffy get Zoro, Nami, Sanji, and Usopp into the crew, are they gonna do...what, one character per episode and then end in Loguetown? Assuming the first season will primarily be East Blue stuff. Arlong Park alone would take more than one episode unless they're just going to cut out a lot of the meaty stuff.

This whole idea can never work.
Really never. Too much plot to handle in a single Episode, so you have to cut nearly everything or you have not time for character developement.

Or they pull a 4Kids and just cut out entire arcs like Little Garden.

Excuse the double post: Apparently its coming in 2021 according to this.

frv9Q9WQ_o.jpg

The show has a twitter account, and just made its first tweets today with a English translated statement from the series creator, Eiichiro Oda(otherwise known as ‘God’ by fans)

Last edited:
Here are my issues. To pull off the world of One Piece, it's not going to be cheap. The world of One Piece is like more trippy than anything George Lucas could ever imagine.

The Mandalorian Season 1 cost $15 million an episode. To convincingly pull off One Piece in live action, it could even cost more.

And the reason I say that is because you have the ships, all the different port towns, all sorts of strange races and creatures. The different fantasy realms and cities

Not to mention all the featured characters have unique super powers and special abilities which isn't going to be cheap either.

You can't do it on less than a Mandalorian budget. It's impossible.

One Piece the manga and the anime are unlike anything that's ever been depicted onscreen before. How do you pull off all the crazy concepts and general weirdness?

You could scale all that back, but all the craziness and general weirdness is what gives the world of One Piece it's flavor and texture.

Just as an example, look at what Netflix did to Death Note. They scaled everything back. We didn't even get to see Ryuk in full view. Ryuk was there at least, but he's always in shadow and silhouette. And that made me angry.

I'm sorry but Netflix butchered Death Note. This won't be a one-off short movie, but I still don't see how you can pull it off.

Last edited:
I think the best pitch you can make for a live-action adaption for One Piece it’s “Guardians Of The Galaxy meets Pirates Of the Caribbean, with a pinch of Star Wars.”

But I’m generally thinking about this if you were to pitch this to some skeptical movie executive. I’m not sure what the model would be for a One Piece show.

More like with a huge clump of Star Wars...on hallucinogenics.

They better cast Asian leads in this or they’ll be getting one piece of my mind

Except for Mr. 2. I demand Billy Porter be cast in that role, though I have a better chance of escaping Impel Down than that ever happening.

64de464c5ded632df9b5d328f4f717eb11dca8d1r1-500-270_hq.gif

I always thought One Piece is impossible to make live action just due main character ability. And later most of the villains due their design and power they have. It's ridiculous even in animation so I feel it's impossible to do it justice live action without looking creepy, weird or clownish together with bad CGI. Because I dont know wha would good portrait of good CGI would look like. Still likely bad and unrealistic due powers he has.

I guess you could maybe pull off early Luffy's powers and stretching with smart angles. And maybe early One Piece world where is still semi realistic just with Devil Fruit's powers. But there is point where you get that it's impossible to pull of One Piece world overall in live action. Anyone who read or watched One Piece knows that.

Hell I stopped watching it as I grew in my mid 20's because I felt I feel I am watching something so ridiculous that not even good Oda's writing can keep me to watch it and take it seriously. Yes, seriously because most of themes and some events in One Piece are taken from our world's history and are Oda's inspiration to retell them to serve purpose of the story he is writing.

My main problem is that the story moves at a snail's pace and tends to get very tangential.

And sometimes you'll have fights that last way too long, or you'll have characters just running in a staircase or a hallway for like five episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"