Netflix's She-ra revival

I think they should be introduced sooner rather then later tbh. Do like 2 episodes and then spin them off into their own series.
The meltdown. This show is fine, but I can't imagine how they'd do the "boy's version" of this let alone if the boy's version will appeal to boys.

I think they should be introduced sooner rather then later tbh. Do like 2 episodes and then spin them off into their own series.
that'll be a good idea. also may be they should have those message's they used to do with the original series at the end of the episodes. I remember there was this one episode where they talk accepting other for lookingf different and like the person for what's in side of them.

Found it it's the third video here

the orginal series had alot of positve lessions. And it seem's that needs to make a comeback with both heman& She-ra I've started the current new series this week liking so far.

Last edited:
First let me address this. I don't like the way you've insinuated the ideas I have presented are exclusive to one particular ethnicity. Frankly, I think it's a gross and appalling mischaracterisation of what it is I have been saying and honestly, insulting. What you are getting entirely wrong about this whole thing is, like many people I've argued with before on similar topics, is the difference between the literal and the fantastic. Your position is one coming from a literal point of view, you're essentially saying literally anyone can be a hero at any size, and from that perspective you are 100% correct, literally anyone in real life , be it the guy walking his dog down the street, to the woman on her way to work, to the kid playing soccer with his or her friends in the park, can do a heroic act, help someone out, save someones life, etc. There is no argument from me there. But I'm talking about art and story. Art and story have always been exaggerated forms of real life, because like it or not, real life is for the most part ****ing boring. Here's an art history lesson for you - people prefer the fantasy. Why do you think certain stories have lasted literally thousands of years? It's because they are memorable for their heighten drama. Even in sport the drama is heightened when they add the cinematic music for the TV promo pieces, or the emotional music underneath the interview with the athlete who came from nothing to win the gold medal. Even the best documentaries in the world manipulate the subject matter to make it seem more interesting because we as a species are drawn to drama. People want the fantasy, they want the exaggerated, the extraordinary, the drama, the impossible, the idealistic. For gods sake dude, you're a member of a forum that is literally about this very thing. Superman is the perfect example of who we can be and that's why he is beloved. If you want to make a show filled with heroes of every body shape and size, then fine, knock yourself out, but be honest with yourself and say 'look, these idealic preferences exists, and I know it's probably not going to be for everyone, but I'm going to do my own thing'. And you know what? More power to you, that is exactly the attitude to have and will probably result in something better being made. But if you think by crapping on those preferences, calling them outdated or sexualised or socially engineered or whatever will change people's minds about the idealic human being in fantasy you're deluding yourself into thinking you can change human behaviour. That's not being honest with yourself or to your potential audience, and it leads to the very reaction you're making right now, an over simplification and unwarranted accusations simply because someone thinks the justifications for the design decisions are completely misguided.
Uh-huh. Which is why you are in a thread about a show doing that, and all you have done is complain that it has done that. This is not "all power to you". This is, "why don't have the idealistic look I want" crying. For multiple pages. About the look of a kid show. For someone who loves to complain about people telling artist what they should and should not do, you sure seem fine to do this when the attractiveness of a female character or actress does not meet your subjective standard. Using the word idealized does not mask the intent here. This clearly stopped being about the art style a long time ago. And you do this without considering for one second the benefits of such material existing might help move society a bit away from the unrealistic expectations we put on kids about their looks and association with self-worth. Also the idea that human behavior cannot be changed when it comes to idealism of fantasy characters is legitimately hilarious when you consider for just one moment how different the "idealistic" man or woman today is from various times in the past.

The most amazing thing about these bizarre rants as they clearly ignore some of the world's favorite stories. You keep on talking about what people want, while ignoring that people gravitate to many different types of stories. The stories of the underdogs, those that don't fit this ridiculous idea of an ideal.

FP4xAUn.gif

The meltdown. This show is fine, but I can't imagine how they'd do the "boy's version" of this let alone if the boy's version will appeal to boys.

I don't see why it wouldn't. He-man wouldn't be body builder sized, sure. But I think the art style can easily handle the full universe of crazy characters.

I don't see why it wouldn't. He-man wouldn't be body builder sized, sure. But I think the art style can easily handle the full universe of crazy characters.
Yep it'll work the look of he man himself being bulk won't be an issue. And prince Adam really doesn't need to look that bulked up. Decent build's fine, but not overly muscular at all.

Can I just add, as much as you may have issues with the designs in the show, it is clearly partly a move to make it easier to animate. I started watching the 2002 He-man series again, and there are some real rough patches in the animation. And I have yet to see any of the cost saving measures in the animation like you would see with Voltron or any other anime.

Not your cup of tea, that is fine. But there are some clear benefits.

Uh-huh. Which is why you are in a thread about a show doing that, and all you have done is complain that it has done that. This is not "all power to you". This is, "why don't have the idealistic look I want" crying. For multiple pages. About the look of a kid show. For someone who loves to complain about people telling artist what they should and should not do, you sure seem fine to do this when the attractiveness of a female character or actress does not meet your subjective standard. Using the word idealized does not mask the intent here. This clearly stopped being about the art style a long time ago. And you do this without considering for one second the benefits of such material existing might help move society a bit away from the unrealistic expectations we put on kids about their looks and association with self-worth. Also the idea that human behavior cannot be changed when it comes to idealism of fantasy characters is legitimately hilarious when you consider for just one moment how different the "idealistic" man or woman today is from various times in the past.

The most amazing thing about these bizarre rants as they clearly ignore some of the world's favorite stories. You keep on talking about what people want, while ignoring that people gravitate to many different types of stories. The stories of the underdogs, those that don't fit this ridiculous idea of an ideal.

FP4xAUn.gif

You've got countless people on Instagram making a living off endorsements taking images of themselves being fit in exotic locations with millions of followers who love what they do.The reality is the market dictates what people want to see and most people like these thing and no amount of trying to make everyone feel good is necessarily going to change that. As I said before also, unrealistic expectations are actually a good thing, because it give you a goal to always reach for. Yes it can become an obsession and that is something that needs to be made aware of, but there's a healthy way to look at it also as being a challenge to oneself, because the ones who get ahead in life are the ones who generally push themselves the most. But you can't just do the opposite and expect people to like it. That's the thing about this She-Ra reboot and the especially the Thundercats Road series that was announced earlier this year, the people writing the shows clearly don't understand what it was about the originals people actually loved nor do they seem to care. When you bring back She-Ra or He-Man or Thundercats or TMNT or whatever 80's cartoon series it is your doing it's with the expresses intention of trying to lure us old fans in in order to introduce the character to their children. What this series has done after giving it two episodes to prove itself, is it's more or less distant itself as much as possible from the elements that people actually liked from the original. It's the same reason Rian Johnson copped so much flack from The Last Jedi. If you're that divorced from it than for crying out loud, leave it to people who actually do give a damn about it. Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread anymore, what started out as a simple reply to a question somehow turned into a long winded discussion that really hasn't amount to much. Whoever this show is for, it's clearly for people who didn't grow up with the original.

I don't just mean aesthetic-wise. There's an abundantly clear feminine approach, rightfully so in line with LEGO Elves, DC Superhero Girls, Winx Club, etc, and at the same time not enough intense action or loud & obnoxious humor that cartoons geared toward boys aim for. That's partly why this upcoming Thundercats reboot may seem like the worst thing ever yet for the generation & demo its aim towards, is par for the course...especially in the context of WB Animation doing whatever it can to placate CN as shown through other recent reboots like Scooby Doo & Looney Tunes.

The way you dismiss the psychological problems body image causes is disgusting. Some of these body types are just not possible for some people. That you are trying to compare internet models with a children kids show is definitely disturbing. And even then, you ignore just how much of an ideal She-ra is within the style of the show.

No, this isn't the 80's show. It isn't trying to keep a toy line alive. And to put down that the only reason why people liked the show was because of the sexy people is ignorant. The sci-fi/fantasy mashup is most likely the bigger draw, the unique characters and kinds of characters. And now, they are implementing a lot of the progress kids show have gotten in the past decade. Good writing. Hell, about the only big difference between this and the Thundercats and Voltron reboots (not Roar) is the art style. Which has clearly been made due to the showrunner's personal style and budgetary issues. And once again, I have yet to see any of the budget saving moves that Voltron has done in this show yet.

And I swear to god, no one better hold up He-man 2002 as good animation.

He-Man 2000 had fine animation for its time and the character designs were superior. But of course they were trying to go for a totally different feel.

I can't wait to see what they do with ATOR. I remember as a kid there was a Late, Late Movie on I think CBS 2 in NYC in the 80's and sometimes I would sleep in my grandma's room and stay up late and watch movies with her as a kid. This was one of the most memorable bad movies they showed. The Joel era MST3K did one of the sequels, CAVE DWELLERS so I think the original film is more than ripe for Jonah and crew to tackle.

I do wonder if the new season will only be six episodes? Was "The Return" received well? I am a very persnickety MST3K fan and honestly I thought they nailed it with that first season.

I’m loving it so far. My favourite character is Mermista

There is still a portion of us who don't need She-ra to be sexy in order to want a better looking design but it all gets ignored in favor of "sexy She-ra boners" discussion instead. Anyhow I don't think it is a terrible design so much as I feel they could have put more effort into it. Then again this is meant for kids so simpler wins over I guess.

Basically. You know how WW finally embraced the Greco-Roman aesthetic from the bathing suit days?
She-Ra seemed like it had some Norse elements if they weren't going to go that route. This is still an unusual hodge podge.

ski boots, bike shorts, protruding shoulder guards, the skirt seems more like her top is parting off below the belt

Last edited:
It does kind of resemble that but not enough I think it is intentional.

There is still a portion of us who don't need She-ra to be sexy in order to want a better looking design but it all gets ignored in favor of "sexy She-ra boners" discussion instead. Anyhow I don't think it is a terrible design so much as I feel they could have put more effort into it. Then again this is meant for kids so simpler wins over I guess.

I think it is also a practical decision. Dreamworks clearly doesn't give their cartoons huge budgets. Again, comparison to Voltron, I have not seen the kind of budget shortcuts in this that I have seen there. It is really getting annoying in Voltron, though.

I understand people want Studio Mir quality all the time. It just isn't practical.

Another reason I'm glad this is She-Ra and not He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. It's hard for me to get emotional about She-Ra or Voltron. They just aren't sacred cows to me.

But I would even consider the redesigns of Voltron Netflix superior to what's been done with She-Ra.

Last edited:
Never watched much of the original She-ra. I did watch He-man but even back then me and my friends would make fun of how cheesy and terrible it was. I remember liking the early 2000s version, though.

Anywho, I gave this new version a try and found it entertaining. I'm clearly not the target audience but whatever. I'll be checking out future seasons.

I too wasn't a fan of the original or He-Man. I did like the 2002 toon when it was on. So, I didn't come into this with any major nostalgia or care about comparisons. I thought it was a fun watch and will continue with the show.

I am surprised/not surprised at how much discussion there is among adult men in their late 20s/early 30s (at least) for this. I mean it's a show targeted at little girls, just like the 30+ year old original. So, I find it amusing.

Just saw the ending. Absolutely incredible. So epic!

Mermista is my fave character

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"