New Adaptation of The Thing

Is this the right fit for Blumhouse though?

Blumhouse's success is one part hiring good talent, but also talent that can work within a much more modest budget than most major studio blockbuster releases.

I don't care how you intend to pull off a new version of The Thing, CGI, all practical, a mix... Those VFX are gonna cost money today and a lot. Will this get the budget it likely deserves to pull it off?

I was going to say that maybe it would be more lowkey than the Carpenter Thing, since it's based on a version of Who Goes There?, but then the producer says it'll be faithful to that, to the 1951 film, and to the 1982 film. Not that that makes a whole lot of sense. How can it be faithful to all three of them? Like, maybe it could borrow from all of them, but be faithful?

Last edited:
I was going to say that maybe it would be more lowkey than the Carpenter Thing, since it's based on a version of Who Goes There?, but then the producer says it'll be faithful to that, to the 1951 film, and to the 1982 film. Not that that makes a whole lot of sense. How can it be faithful to all three of them? Like, maybe it could borrow from all of them, but be faithful?
It will probably be a pre-sequel and tie all the films together into one connected canon. Or some equally dumb shirt like that.

It seems like this new movie will be based on Frozen bad place, which is the extended version of Who Goes There?

The thing (no pun) is that the original story/novella would require a bigger budget as it's actually much more expansive and "sci fi" than Carpenter's version or the Hawks film.

In the novella the men are in a (for the time it was published) advanced facility doing scientific research that included like, terraforming icy wastes and there's underground farms and livestock and many, MANY more people at the base. Think of something like NORAD. So... I doubt they will go the route of faithfully adapting the book on that end. And if they did, again, we are talking a decent sized budget to realize all that.

They have already made a subpar reboot/prequel of "The Thing," so what's the harm?

And I have IMMENSE respect for Jason Blum, as he gave a voice to many new AND experienced filmmakers and allowed them to put their stamp on current genre cinema (Jordan Peele, Leigh Wannell, Christopher Landon, M. Night Shyamalan, etc.).

He's smart about making something that can be sold to a wide audience, while at the same time delivering something genuinely interesting.

Blumhouse on one hand can make Halloween, Get Out, Insidious, Oculus, and The Visit but on the other Black Christmas, Unfriended, The Purge, and Truth or Dare. As long as they get the right team together, they can make The Thing pretty good.

bad place they got Fantasy Island coming out in a couple weeks which doesn't look cheap.

Blumhouse on one hand can make Halloween, Get Out, Insidious, Oculus, and The Visit but on the other Black Christmas, Unfriended, The Purge, and Truth or Dare. As long as they get the right team together, they can make The Thing pretty good.

Every producer has his ups and downs based on the filmmakers' vision, but Blum has got a great track record.

And "The Purge" wasn't that bad. I quite enjoyed the second one.

As strong as Blumhouse are, I think they are barking up the wrong tree here, the 1982 film is one film that cannot be improved on, it’s perfect in every aspect of film-making, regardless of era. I ‘get’ that BH make quality from limited budget and turn magic (on the whole) in whatever they touch, but I think for them, and ANY production company frankly, this should be left alone.

Having said that, I haven’t yet seen the, most recent pre-Thing, Thing, based around the Norwegian crew, so I can’t comment on that’s quality but Carpenter’s film is a rare thing indeed, a re-make that improves upon it’s original.

The story base is a strong one, so maybe if it concentrates solely on that, we’ll be okay.

You know what I’d be down for? Like Halloween, a strong filmmaker returns with a clear vision, John Carpenter back as producer and Kurt Russell returning as star.

If they wanna do it as a period piece based on the original book fine.

I like the Carpenter film (although I'm actually a bigger fan of the novelization) and the prequel. It wouldn't bother me if they made a toned down version; I think the paranoia and isolation is enough to make a good movie. I'm just not sure where they're going with this.

I hope it’s less reboot, and more sequel ala Blumhouse’s Halloween.

Make a sequel, the idea this guy had is perfect for a sequel

I don't know that this needs another remake/reboot, but if there must be one, I hope it goes back to practical effects instead of CGI.

tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"