New Amsterdam

Sebastos

le professionnel
Reaction score
Did anyone see the commercials for this during the Super Bowl?

Here's the description about it:

Created by Allan Loeb (“Things We Lost in the Fire,” “21”) and Christian Taylor (“Showboy,” “Six Feet Under”), NEW AMSTERDAM is the story of a New York homicide detective unlike any other. He is brilliant, mysterious, reckless, magnetic, unknowable. And he has a profound secret – he is immortal. Pilot directed by visionary Lasse Hallström (“My Life As a Dog,” “The Cider House Rules,” “Chocolat,” “The Hoax”).

In 1642, JOHN AMSTERDAM (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, “Kingdom of Heaven”), then a Dutch solider in the colony of New Amsterdam – later to become New York City – stepped in front of a sword to save the life of a Native American girl during a massacre of her indigenous tribe. The girl in turn rescued Amsterdam, weaving an ancient spell that conferred immortality upon him. Amsterdam will not age, she told him, until he finds his one true love. Only then will he become whole and ready for mortality.

But Amsterdam has found this to be a mixed blessing. Over the course of three centuries, he’s experienced endless adventure and honed his many talents. But everyone Amsterdam meets must leave him in time; lovers and children die while he remains young. His sole confidant and current lifelong friend is the sage jazz club owner OMAR (Stephen McKinley-Henderson, “Law & Order: SVU”), the keeper of Amsterdam’s secret, as well as a few of his own. As the exhilaration of eternal life has given way to emotional isolation and bitter loneliness, Amsterdam discovers the blessing has become a curse.

Having witnessed its entire history from colonial outpost to mega-metropolis, John Amsterdam is the living embodiment of New York City. He and the island of Manhattan are now part and parcel of each other. Bringing to bear the unorthodox techniques and unique knowledge gained from his vast life experience, Amsterdam today is one of the NYPD’s best homicide detectives, sparring with his vibrant, strong-willed partner EVA MARQUEZ (Zuleikha Robinson, “Rome,” “The Lone Gunmen”) as they solve difficult murder cases. But when Amsterdam suffers and then recovers from what appears to be a massive heart attack while chasing a suspect, and DR. SARA DILLANE (Alexie Gilmore, “Find Love”) pronounces him dead in the ER, he realizes that the Indian girl’s prophesy may have come true – he felt the pain in his heart that she had foretold so long ago. His soul mate must have been nearby. As he works to find a killer on the streets of New York, Amsterdam understands that his own life – and possibly his death – have changed forever.

From executive producers David Manson (“Saved,” “Thief,” “Nothing Sacred”), Allan Loeb, and Steven Pearl (“Untraceable”), this intriguing series invites viewers to explore the enduring mysteries of life, death and true love.

Official site:

http://www.fox.com/newamsterdam/

Pics:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0928414/

I'm still looking for the videos of it, but it really does look interesting.

I saw a commercial for it during the Super Bowl. It does look interesting.

Judging by the pilot this show is LAME!! The way they demonstrate his immortality is by referencing his past when he says something only a 65 or 100 year old person might know. That's about it.

Sounds a lot like Forever Knight, which I kind of liked. I'll probably give the first episode a look and see if it's worth continuing with.

I'm interested in the show, but I'm sure it will get cancelled. It's on FOX and they're notorious for pulling the plug on shows early.

Sounds a lot like Forever Knight, which I kind of liked. I'll probably give the first episode a look and see if it's worth continuing with.

Except for the fact that the guy isn't looking for redemption but love.

Yeah. So it actually doesn't sound quite as good as Forever Knight.

This is the only video I could find, but it's a good preview for the show:

[YT]4EsOAloyYKk[/YT]

i've seen a longer trailer before, but i can't remember where. I'll prolly wait till the end of season 1 and see if it ends up being liked or not (cult or mainstream).

Hmm, seems more interesting than I would've given it credit for.

Yeah, and this review on IMDb said it has a cool theme song to go with it.

Huh, I heard about this show awhile ago but never heard anything else on it. I thought they had just dropped it all together.

I'll watch it cause I enjoy sci-fi shows, the broadcast networks need more of them.

Correction they need more good scifi. I'll watch it to see if there's more to it but the pilot was a dud.

sound like fox's take on HIGHLANDER to me

Well, the first episode will air on Tuesday. Can't wait.

i remember when it was planned for the fall season, but then held for mid-season replacement (prolly due to the writers strike).

I'll be check it out

Seems a little odd that it's taken him 400 years to find love. I mean, I can understand it taking a while, but still....

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"