New Christians Have A Voice

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by JStorm, Jan 19, 2008.

1. JStorm Arkham

My father just sent me this article.

I thought it was a great read.

My views on Christianity are the same, or very similar, and I would hope, for, one day soon, this to be true.

Quote of the article, for me, at least: ''These people are absurd. I've been a Christian all my life and I don't even know Christians this weird."

Merge if to be merged.

Enjoy, and debate fairly.

Link.

2. Superhobo Registered

I like the guy already. Even though I'm not a Christian myself (there's no name really for what I am, but the general term would be Agnostic), this is really refreshing.

3. The Senator Registered

Look! It's the MovieFan signal!

4. Handsome Rob Registered

I read "Blue Like Jazz," last year. I really enjoyed reading it, and I do believe that Donald Miller is a breath of fresh air in the Christian community. He represents one aspect of Christianity that seems to have fallen away from Christians as a group, although I would consider what he presented to be only a part of the greater Faith. I didn't agree with everything in it . . . but most of it.

He's not alone in rolling his eyes at TBN. I'm a very conservative Christian, but I don't identify with the people on that channel, either. I hate to think that they may be the most prevalent exposure to Christianity that some non-Christians see. TBN . . . that is NOT me. That has NEVER been me. And that NEVER WILL be me.

I also cringe at the notion that God only shares the values of the Republican party and that the Democrats are somehow the Party of Satan. Politicizing Christianity has been one of the great failings of our American churches.:csad:

5. Anguissette1979 Registered

He sounds like a very cool guy - this coming from an Atheist :up: :D

6. The Senator Registered

Exactly. Regardless of what your politics are, there are Democrats who are extremely religious. The one at the forefront of this is obviously Barack Obama, who is considered one of the most active Christians on both sides of the political aisle. The Democrats also have Bob Casey, a pro-life Senator from Pennsylvania, who is very active in his Catholic faith. Other numerous, lesser-known politicians are very active in their religions. Just because they disagree with the Republican Party, which has been hijacked by evangelicals, doesn't make them a party without religious principle.

Away from the politicians, I know many active Christians who consider themselves Democrats. While I don't feel abortion should be inspire a religious argument, since the concept was never addressed in the Bible, I know friends who are pro-life and against embryonic stem cell research who are active democrats. Even Democrats can embody some of the "values" the Christian right considers their own.

Just because Pat Robertson ran for President, that doesn't mean a perceived God endorsed the Republican party.

7. JStorm Arkham

I thought so.

It is refreshing, and a joy to think that we could round the corner, as a community.

8. hammy American Ham

It's kind of sad that this is news. :huh:

9. Mr. Socko Registered

I :heart: gay people, democrats, and the hippie types.

10. squeekness The mighty squeek!

Me, too, and I am a Christian. I think that some folks see Christians in a cookie cutter way, that we are all the same and all think the same way on all the issues when that is hardly true. I agree with this fellow when he says he discovered happily that one's Christianity can be an individual thing. I know I am not the only Christian that doesn't exactly fit into any one single denomination.

11. The Chairman Pimps' Main Prophet

This guy is awesome. As a fervent believer in the ideals of the New Christian movement, hopefully this guy will get the same publicity Pat Robertson gets.

12. The Chairman Pimps' Main Prophet

No, it isn't. On the contrary, it's very refreshing and enlightening.

13. Brian2887 Nerd.

I have the book. I've had it for a couple years now, but I've yet to take the time to read it. If it's this good, I'll need to pick it back up soon. (Right after I finish Al Franken's book "Lies and the Lyring Liars Who Tell Them". (Just to give you an idea on where this Christian stands politically.)

14. The Senator Registered

Like I've said before, your Christianity is what Christianity should be about. That's what most people I know follow. They live their lives, and let others live theirs, without criticizing or labeling people who are different than them. They accept that others have different beliefs, and they are willing to talk opening about them in a civil way. They won't cram scripture down people's throats, they won't force their views on people... they're very open minded people who follow a good set of rules to live their lives.

I find Christ's teachings to be excellent guidelines.

The problem comes when people are incredibly closed-minded and feel as if their beliefs are the only beliefs out there, and that it's "crazy" for anyone else to think differently. The problem heightens when they hide behind scripture and use it to justify hatred or bigotry. There's a difference between someone saying that they view homosexuality as something which God acknowledged as an "abomination," and someone saying that homosexuality is the downfall of mankind, the American family, and all that other bull****.

The problem becomes most severe when people politicize God and Christian values. When adulterers such as Newt Gingrich-- who was having an affair with an intern while his wife was dying of cancer-- attack others for having affairs, or when certain Senators purchase sex from prostitutes the same day they speak out about preserving the values of the American family, or when other Senators have anonymous gay sex with strangers or teenage boys while fighting against the very same behavior they are engaging in, they not only look like total asses, but they represent everything which is wrong with extremist Christianity.

Christians aren't bad, but the extremists are, and that's why I've become so fed up with the rhetoric in our supposedly non-religiously-affiliated society.

15. LegendaryCaleb Registered

true christians dont hate Gays, Democrats, Nor Hippies....
    but for the Gays and such
    we just dont believe what they are doing is what God would want...therefore we try to let them see our views and save them from Hell

i understand that some Christians are insane as to how they push everything on someone immediately...

16. The Lizard Didn't eat Billy

No, that's the Wilhelm signal. :gray:

17. The Chairman Pimps' Main Prophet

Does it matter? Neither are good signs.

18. Carcharodon Registered

I don't know. Even if I don't always agree with Wilhelm's posts (or his tone), at least his posts are somewhat provoking and entertaining. :woot:

19. Hudson Registered

isn't that a bit of an extreme generalization?:huh:

20. Mr. Socko Registered

Save them from hell? Do you believe engaging in homosexuality condemns me to hell?

My goodness, I was just playing fluff. I wasn't even expecting any replies:cwink:

21. Carcharodon Registered

Duh? It was Adam and EVE, not Adam and STEVE!

How can you argue with that rock-solid logic? Jeez, it's like we have to spell it out for you people. :whatever:

22. The Chairman Pimps' Main Prophet

Only if you're able to read them. He uses so many different font styles and sizes and frgantly abuses the Bold, Underline and Italics buttons to the point where it hurts your eyes. His posts remind me of those really bad ransom notes where the kidnapper sloppily pastes the words onto a sheet of paper using magazne clippings.

23. LegendaryCaleb Registered

yes..i do...dont bash me, bro.

24. Carcharodon Registered

You say it makes it harder to read, I say it adds character. :up:

25. rodhulk Registered

You'd have to learn how to spell first!