NEW Director for Upcoming Superman solo

Discussion in 'Upcoming Superman Solo Movie' started by Zionite1, Dec 8, 2014.

1. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I grew up on Lois & Clark and The Animated Series and didn't see the Donner films 'til college. While I respect the first one in particular for its craftsmanship and for creating a template for the genre, at the end of the day, I just REALLY don't like Clark Kent being a caricature. I get that it's faithful to a certain era of comics, just not my choice era. That's a deal breaker which sours all his relationships (minus the Kents) for me. I'm a big fan of "regular guy" Clark who's a respected reporter that Lois sees as genuine competition, but is also kind of naturally a bit of a dork (though not in an OTT way).

It was an origin story, with a few major changes to the mythos (forced on him by Jon Peters/the studio) - particularly Krypton still surviving as a war-torn planet - but the characterization of the leads was what really got me. Clark and Lois had actual charming banter, for one. Clark found his passion for journalism in college after a brief soul-searching encounter with Lois (who was 2 years ahead of him) at a party that of course she doesn't remember when they meet again at the Planet, but he had a bit of a hero worship thing going for her before they became colleagues. Lex was a professor who found a bit of Kryptonian tech that landed on Earth the same day as Clark - that tech "expanded his mind" with all sorts of Kryptonian knowledge (which was meant for Clark), and he spent the next 24 years building his empire based on the breakthroughs developed from that tech, and what he felt was "preparing the human race" for the alien contact he knew would come some day. When Superman arrived on the scene, Lex thought their meeting was destiny and wanted to be allies, and so took it quite personally when Supes didn't see things his way. That script wouldn't get made today obviously because the two movies that did get made had too many of the same elements (for one, there was an evil Kryptonian he fought in the 3rd act who was obviously a Zod knock-off because Abrams wasn't allowed to use Zod himself for some reason; also the scene in SR with Supes floating and listening for anyone needing his help was taken directly from it), but I just know I would've gladly watched a franchise featuring that Clark, that Lois, and that Lex. Plus it just had that uplifting crowd-pleaser vibe (heart and humor being key) that I feel like the last two missed the mark on.

2. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

Huh, sounds pretty good. I'd have to read it myself.

The only problem is, I just don't see that Abrams returning. All these years later, he's made multi billion dollar films that's validated his worst creative instincts. Why would you go back to what's before if you've been proven right and then rewarded to be yourself by all this success from these movies he's made with weak writing?

Unless Abrams has some sort of epiphany which is highly unlikely I just don't see Abrams becoming a better writer.

3. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I think he still wants it. The trades reported he had higher offers from other companies for that massive contract he signed with WB, but chose WB because of their existing IP's. A profile done on him last year mentioned his Bad Robot offices are littered with Superman action figures/memorabilia, and when asked about potentially taking on that IP, they said he "unconvincingly" claimed he wasn't ready for that discussion. He's definitely a fan, and I think Superman is his white whale. And frankly, the only times I haven't liked his writing were on films he didn't want to make in the first place, so I'm not too worried about him not being up to the task of delivering on something he's been wanting to make for at least 20 years now.

4. TMP98 Registered

How about JJ's best bud and Superman Damon Lindelof on the script?

5. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Eh, I don't think so. Lindelof's only good when he's dealing in weirdness and ambiguity, imo. His sensibilities are ALL wrong for Supes in my eyes, as I don't think he could write a traditional, straight-forward crowd-pleaser to save his life. The only "Abrams buddies" I'd want anywhere near this are Matt Reeves or Drew Goddard.

StarLord and TMP98 like this.
  6. Sawyer High King

Oh ****, I forgot about Goddard. Let’s go with Goddard.

flickchick85 likes this.
  7. Sawyer High King

Goddard’s The Good Place involvement... Manny Jacinto as Jimmy Olsen pls.

flickchick85 likes this.
  8. flickchick85 Admin of Might

He's older than my pick for Supes, but I'd forgive it. :funny:

9. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Whoever suggested Travis Knight I like their thinking, he would be a great pick, injected a lot of heart and emotion into Bumblebee, both of which are needed for a Superman story.

flickchick85 likes this.
  10. STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

I liked what Travis Knight did with Bumblebee. I still like Abrams too. I'm holding out hope for his involvement even if just a producer. At this moment I don't even need the most ambitious or daring Superman film. I need a two hour heartfelt joyride that brings goodwill back to the character.

11. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Yeah I agree, I love what Snyder did as I think he experimenter and thought outside the box a little.

But the next Superman movie needs to be simple, heartfelt and fun to get people on board.

BobJM likes this.
  12. FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

Dexter Fletcher is my pick. He did Eddie the Eagle, Rocketman, and now Sherlock Holmes 3 for WB.

Tg11 likes this.
  13. Tg11 Registered

He is a good director but then how about Darren Aronofsky

14. Sawyer High King

Not the vibe I’m hoping for for this.

15. SupermanFan Registered

He would be all wrong for Superman.

16. Tg11 Registered

Or how about David Bowie's son Duncan Jones as director? Or how about JA Bayona?

Neill Blomkamp also works too or Steven S DeKnight

17. Rorschach2012 Batman is my Dad

I think I’m one of the only Sci-fi fans that thought Moon was boring as hell. Not a big fan of Duncan Jones, and I have a tattoo of his father on my arm.

Deck Rickard and SuperRouth like this.
  18. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Yeah, Duncan Jones is a huge NO from me too. Moon put me to sleep; it had it’s good points but it was also very dull. Source Code was overrated and some of the performances (mainly Jeffrey Wright, who is typically brilliant) were just awful. And Warcraft might have been the worst video game movie I have ever seen. And that’s saying a LOT.

SuperRouth likes this.
  19. Tg11 Registered

Brad Bird

20. Sawyer High King

I mean, I’d like it, but he seems to not be a fan of how franchise-y cinema has gotten, so unless WB makes one hell of an offer...

21. Silvermoth Krakoan native

It might be fun to give this to an indie director. Make a small movie big, that sort of thing. Let me have a think about it

or the other extreme, Justin Lin. He would be mind blowing and incredible and can handle high concept sci fi

22. SVSuperman Registered

Matthew Vaughn

23. TMP98 Registered

Marielle Heller? Maybe Alma Har'el. A Safdie Bros. Superman movie would certainly be... something.

24. Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

Apparently rumors swirling around that WB is ditching the Supergirl and wants to do Superman again. Hopefully there's merit.

25. SupermanFan Registered

I think that part of the report is likely accurate. I’m starting to think JJ is gonna be the one