The Wolverine New director ?

im so baffled by the series right now. if first class detracts from events depicted in wolverine and x3 then i guess a solo wolverine film would be ok cuz it wouldnt be related but i think the studio needs to decide on how to go on from here. if they are trying to make an x4 why wouldnt they just try to remake x3 and start fresher so they could go from there? if first class does well enough it just doesnt seem right for the first 2 x-men films to be canon but then the third one isnt? people can think whatever of wolverines origin film but theres only really one scene that bothers me according to what supposedly happens in first class. emma frost really isnt a big enough character for me to care, its kinda like hank macoy in his cameo in x2, doesnt really bother me. unless they end up doing something different with gambit or sabretooth in a first class sequel.
but i cant help but list things that are going to now bother me about x3...
opening scene with xavier and magneto being friends when it doesnt seem likely now
mystiques black hair when she gets cured
beasts look (mainly his eyes unless i should assume he has contacts now)

im so baffled by the series right now. if first class detracts from events depicted in wolverine and x3 then i guess a solo wolverine film would be ok cuz it wouldnt be related but i think the studio needs to decide on how to go on from here. if they are trying to make an x4 why wouldnt they just try to remake x3 and start fresher so they could go from there? if first class does well enough it just doesnt seem right for the first 2 x-men films to be canon but then the third one isnt? people can think whatever of wolverines origin film but theres only really one scene that bothers me according to what supposedly happens in first class. emma frost really isnt a big enough character for me to care, its kinda like hank macoy in his cameo in x2, doesnt really bother me. unless they end up doing something different with gambit or sabretooth in a first class sequel.
but i cant help but list things that are going to now bother me about x3...
opening scene with xavier and magneto being friends when it doesnt seem likely now
beasts look (mainly his eyes unless i should assume he has contacts now)

i agree. i look at it like this. each film seems to retcon some aspect of the previous film. each film has some sort of retcon to the previous film, thing going on. continuty is a big mess. but minus wolverine orgins - x1-x3 and first class are great sci fi films.

in x2 the xjet looked different - in x3 kelsey grammer as beast retcons the name cameo - wolverine (well lets not go there) - the setup of first class retons parts of x3 and retcons orgins.

the way i see. Darren's idea of creating a separate continuity for his film, was a good idea. i hope fuqua or mangold get this.

the reason why this film rocked was because fox let bryan and vaughn do their thing. they clearly interfered with wolverine and look at what happened.

Mystique was born blue right? So her blonde form is what she thought (wanted) she looked like and not what she would really look like once cured.

Also, Charles getting paralyzed in First Class does not mean he never experimented with possible cures later on that allowed him to walk, but he was unable to cure his paralysis permanently or he discovered dangerous side effects and had to go back to the wheel chair in the 90s. First Class established where his paralysis comes from but it's not impossible to imagine him having been able to walk again at some point, albeit temprorarily. It's not like FC retconned X3 out of existence, either, because Beast's characterization seems pretty much in line with how it was in X3. His wanting a cure in First Class ties in with his curiousity about he cure in X3, as well as his reaction when Leech temporarily suppresses the mutation in his hand.

XMOW's continuity with the other films is a gigantic mess of crap though, so I pretty much ignore it and see it as being its own thing (which it already is, essentially).

I thought they had said that First Class is not in continuity with Wolverine Origins.

The idea of remaking X3 is ridiculous and incredibly stupid. You'll confuse 99% of the audience. First Class is a prequel so it can take a lot of liberties. The filmmakers may say it ignores X3 and Wolvie but officially those are films that simply exist, you cannot simply erase them because they are already in the mind of the general audience.

Vaughn and Singer's words mean absolutely nothing when the proof is in the actual films. For example, Hugh Jackman is Wolvie in that abominable Origins movie just as he is Wolvie in all of the X-Men films. Connections like that can't be broken. Doesn't matter how many continuity errors there are, all of these films take place in the same universe. Only way to get past that would be to do like George Lucas, destroy the original masters, allow no one to see them, and then place an edited version of the films into wide release. But that is impossible for X3 and Wolverine.

Last edited:
I thought they had said that First Class is not in continuity with Wolverine Origins.

I don't know if there was anything ever officially said about that, it just became sort of an unsaid assumption. Vaughn did confirm First Class was a prequel to the other X-Men films, and not just a reboot.

Hugh was host of a charity polo event today and he was interviewed on the red carpet - he talks about his First Class cameo and says a director should be announced soon and filming is still scheduled for October. It starts about 1:50, Wolverine director stuff about 3:40. He said they are very very close to a director and are about to announce it and filming is probably October.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WuTUBMKR3s

LOLZ, one of those interviewers... what a *****. "Reel Steel? Luks a beet jowky!"
:dry:

But you don't tell that to the stars face while interviewing them.

She could've said worse things. :o

I don't know if there was anything ever officially said about that, it just became sort of an unsaid assumption. Vaughn did confirm First Class was a prequel to the other X-Men films, and not just a reboot.

Vaughn said he studied all the X-Men films, but paid most attention to X2 out of all of them.

If First Class is out of continuity with X3 and Wolverine, why have the Jackman cameo in it? Just for laughs?

Like it or not, he's Wolverine for the foreseeable future, and it was clearly just done for fun.

I have no problem keeping Jackman on as Wolverine. :D

I have no problem keeping Jackman on as Wolverine. :D

Me neither. :woot:

And judging from the audience response to the cameo....most people are fine with keeping him around as well. :up:

Yeah, Jackman is pretty much the cinematic embodiment of Wolverine. You lose him and you lose the character.

I just want that character to be done justice come the Japan picture. The studio needs to accept the fact that this is not kid-friendly subject matter. Wolverine is synonymous with rage and revenge - things that you can't reduce in order to please the kids. That's why they got the character all wrong 2 years ago.

Rodriguez's Sin City made $74 Million Domestic and Snyder's 300 made $210. These were brutal R-rated pictures that properly translated the books to film without compromising the nature and essence of the material. They weren't amazing films, but they did what they set out to do and made bank while doing so.

You can't make a kid-friendly Wolverine movie. You can put Wolverine in an X-Men movie where his role will be inevitably reduced (he only has one violent scene in X2 - that still got restrictions from the MPAA) but you can't give him his own movie and handicap him with garbage like Gambit climbing walls and Deadpool cracking jokes.

I'm positive that this is the reason Darren walked. It wasn't the so-called deal with the devil :whatever: Darren has never cared about money. I've been following his career for over a decade now and the last thing he would do is agree to a crap film to "cash up" for other projects. He always finds financing anyway. He took the film because Wolverine is just another shade of Randy The Ram. Of Tomas/Tommy from The Fountain. Of Nina from Black Swan. A tortured soul that because of that torture lives in isolation. The character parallels that loner identity that Darren has mastered through his various films.

But Fox probably felt that wasn't a viable approach.

LOLZ, one of those interviewers... what a *****. "Reel Steel? Luks a beet jowky!"
:dry:

I know! What did she expect him to say to that? :doh:

(and I think that movie looks fun)

Also, Charles getting paralyzed in First Class does not mean he never experimented with possible cures later on that allowed him to walk, but he was unable to cure his paralysis permanently or he discovered dangerous side effects and had to go back to the wheel chair in the 90s. First Class established where his paralysis comes from but it's not impossible to imagine him having been able to walk again at some point, albeit temprorarily. It's not like FC retconned X3 out of existence, either, because Beast's characterization seems pretty much in line with how it was in X3. His wanting a cure in First Class ties in with his curiousity about he cure in X3, as well as his reaction when Leech temporarily suppresses the mutation in his hand.

XMOW's continuity with the other films is a gigantic mess of crap though, so I pretty much ignore it and see it as being its own thing (which it already is, essentially).

I'm not sure exactly what continuity X-Men Origins: Wolverine muddles up from the rest of the movies.

The biggest thing is probably the fact that the Weapon X procedure didn't match up with the flashbacks Logan had of it in X-Men and X2, but considering the events happened the same (just some slight details were changed - I.E. how bloody he was, and the door he exited through), I don't see how it messed up the continuity.

And as far as the continuity of The Wolverine goes, it sounds like it's going to be more of a stand alone film that doesn't address X-Men Origins: Wolverine nor X-Men, not so much throw out the continuities.

The Wolverine will beguin with Wolverine having no memory.Nothing from X-Men Origins;Wolverine will be referenced.And nothing will be done to try to connect it to
X_Men trilogy or If you prefer X-Men/X2.This IS stand alone story of Wolverine's time In
Japan.Nothing will be connected or contradicted from any other X-Films.

Right now The Wolverine IS only X Film we can count on being made till we get Idea what FOx really thinks of First Class' Box office.

I'm thinking the next time we will see Wolverine after "The Wolverine" is X-Men 4. If no X4, that's probably it for Hugh. Not seeing him being in Second Class.

Because of that, I'm thinking Fox may do The Wolverine, then Second Class, then X4. That gives the First Class cast and crew, as well as Hugh Jackman, a couple years turnaround between films. Not expecting anymore First Class films if X4 gets going.

Or if The Wolverine is a success and X4 is not on the horizon, just do another solo movie.

Mark Romanek Takes Himself Off The List Of Directors In The Running For The Wolverine!

The director of Never Let Me Go has confirmed that he passed up the oppurtunity to direct the Japan set movie featuring Hugh Jackman as Wolverine! Hit the jump for details...

"That's just one of those stories that floated around. I was on their list, I received the script months ago. It didn't seem like my kind of thing."

"That script was a terrific version of that kind of thing, but not something I felt really passionate about."
In this article about Hugh performing in Toronto with his one-man show in July is this bit about Wolverine:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...men-star-returns-to-his-musical-theatre-roots
“Darren had wanted me to be 30 pounds heavier than I had been in the earlier movies,” Jackman explains, “and I had already put 20 of those pounds on. After we paused production, I went back and leaned down again and I decided that no matter who directs the film, I’m not going to get on that roller coaster of gaining and losing weight. It’s just not good for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"