New Exorcist?

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score

Good luck topping the incredibly underrated show that all you little bastahs who missed it should be looking up on Hulu this very moment.

I loved the short-lived TV series. Wish that was allowed to continue.

If at first you don’t succeed (2), then kinda succeed (3), then don’t succeed (prequel take 1) then really don’t succeed (prequel take 2), then nobody remembers you didn’t succeed (tv series)... then try again?

If at first you don’t succeed (2), then kinda succeed (3), then don’t succeed (prequel take 1) then really don’t succeed (prequel take 2), then nobody remembers you didn’t succeed (tv series)... then try again?
Keep its name outta your mouth. :o

The original film absolutely does not need to be done all over again.

That being said...

Oscar Isaac - Damien Karras

Okay. Now you have my attention.

Bad idea for DGG. This will be a thankless job.

A sequel to the original?

The recent TV series already served as a pretty good sequel to the original film.

I love what DGG did with Halloween, but I’m not sure The Exorcist needs this. Now, Hellraiser on the other hand is absolutely necessary.

The Tv show was great but should of been on FX rather than Fox. You could tell it was constrained by broadcast networks puritanical commercial restrictions.

Amazing comment.

I thought this was going to be a remake (which I think is unnecessary, but whatever) but another sequel....why?

Shamefully, I was kind of with prequel take one until the climatic running scene. That absolutely sent me.

The Tv show was great but should of been on FX rather than Fox. You could tell it was constrained by broadcast networks puritanical commercial restrictions.
The only thing I think it could’ve gotten out of a cable run is the lesser likelihood of ratings being a killer. Content-wise, it was fine as is.

The Exorcist Sequel Will Be 'Like 2018's Halloween Reboot' - Den of Geek

One of those is a The Exorcist sequel, which Blum is developing with director David Gordon Green. The pair’s last attempt to reenergize and sequelize a storied horror title, 2018’s Halloween, was both a box office and well-deserved critical success. It ignored decades of inferior sequels, retcons, and reboots and focused on picking up the story—40 years later—at the heart of the property: Laurie Strode’s (Jamie Lee Curtis) battle against Michael Myers.

Blum and Green face a similar situation with The Exorcist. Despite one sequel being considered a minor classic in its own right (The Exorcist III) and a short-lived but well-received TV series that found a way to tie itself to the original movie, William Friedkin’s 1973 horror milestone—the first horror film ever nominated for Best Picture, not to mention a cultural phenomeno—has been dogged by a handful of terrible follow-ups and add-ons. There was 1977’s unwatchable The Exorcist II, plus two underwhelming versions of the same prequel: 2004’s Exorcist: The Beginning and 2005’s Dominion: Prequel to The Exorcist.

Although he doesn’t say directly that Green’s film will disregard the four sequels and the TV series that came in the original The Exorcist’s wake, Blum hints that it will be far removed from those entries since.

“[It’s] going to be like David’s Halloween sequel,” Blum says. “I think it’s going to pleasantly surprise all the skeptics out there. We had a lot of skeptics about Halloween and David turned them around, and I think he’s going to turn it around with The Exorcist.”

Blum also maintains that he doesn’t find the prospect of creating a new sequel to what is widely considered the greatest horror movie of all time to be daunting.

“I love to do [these] kinds of movies because people are very emotional about it,” he says. “I think it’s a high bar and it’s a challenge to do the movie. Remember, most of the audience coming to this—95 percent of the audience who will, if we do our job right, come to see this movie—will not have seen the first Exorcist or even heard of it.”

Taking the Halloween approach certainly would point to bringing Blair back to play Regan, but I kind of hope they don’t.

A lot of folks haven’t watched it, but I feel like the TV show gave us the best possible version of a “Where is Regan now?” story.

Then again, it could just end up being the Halloween H20 to the movie’s Halloween 2018.

So Regan becomes the exorcist and decides to end Pazuzu once and for all.

Exorcist reboot director David Gordon Green says the movie will be a sequel to the original | GamesRadar+

Director David Gordon Green has given an update on his new Exorcist movie that's in the works. In the latest issue of Total Film, the director reveals that the script for his reboot of the 1973 movie is finished – and it looks like it's a sequel than a complete retcon.

"The Exorcist has been written. That was one of my pandemic projects. It’s not inaccurate [that it will be a sequel to the original film]. I like all the Exorcist movies," Green says. "And not only do I like them, I think they can all fall into the acceptable mythology for what I’m doing. It’s not like I’m saying, 'Pretend that The Exorcist 2 never happened.' That’s fine to exist. They’re all fine to exist, and I enjoy all of them."

Based on William Peter Blatty’s novel of the same name, the original movie was directed by William Friedkin and starred big names like Ellen Burstyn, Jason Miller, and Linda Blair. It follows a 12-year-old girl who’s possessed by a mysterious entity and the lengths her mother and two Catholic priests go to in an attempt to save her.

Green adds: "It’s another fun legacy to be a part of, and hopefully we’ll get that going in the near future. That one is a lot of research, rather than just impulsive screenwriting. That’s one that you talk to a lot of people. You read a lot of books, and do a ****-load of interviews. There was such a dramatic authenticity to what that original film is. It’s a lot more than I anticipated getting into it. And I guess I was naive to think that. But it was very exhilarating to be involved in a lot of those conversations that you find yourself in."

If this is just another legacy sequel about bringing back Linda Blair and follows that formula then I'm not that interested.

'The Exorcist': David Gordon Green to Direct New Trilogy Starring Leslie Odom Jr. and Ellen Burstyn

Ellen Burstyn will reprise her role from William Friedkin's original 1973 classic, and she'll be joined by Leslie Odom Jr., the Hamilton star who recently earned an Oscar nomination for his turn as Sam Cooke in One Night in Miami.

Jason Blum will produce alongside David Robinson of Morgan Creek, which holds the rights to the Exorcist franchise. The New York Times broke the news, reporting that Universal and Peacock have acquired the trilogy in a mega-deal worth more than $400 million. The first film is expected to hit theaters in late 2023 -- a year after Green's final Halloween movie -- while the second and third films could wind up debuting on Peacock under the terms of the deal.

Rather than remake The Exorcist, Green will continue the story, with Odom playing the father of a possessed child. Desperate for help, he tracks down Burstyn's character, whose young daughter (Linda Blair) was possessed by the Devil in the first film. Her character did not appear in the two Exorcist sequels or the prequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"