New Footage!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers' started by Electrix, Apr 13, 2007.

1. metsatsu Guest

2. ragdus Put a smile on that face.

Beast Wars was vilified when it first came out.

3. jdre_124 Registered

Double Post

4. jdre_124 Registered

True when Beast Wars was first released it was vilified and some people still dont like it stating "TRUKK NOT MUNKKEY"

5. CFlash Registered

Yes, But that was before the story unfolded and its G1 continuity was apparent. It actually added something to the Transformers universe.

This is what my friend says. I've never really watched it myself. But, I think its G1 continuity (and respect/faithfulness) is probably one of the major reasons it is considered by most fans to be great. I dunno.

6. Stikmann Registered

I think the G1 connection really cemented BW as a hit among fans that were already accepting of the show. I for example was already watching it. But when it became evident in Season 2 what Megatron was doing, I was amazed (being a G1 fan). The first thing that made it great, before the G1 connection had been revealed, was the terrific characterizations. It was great that not only the heroes had distinctly different personalities, but the villains did as well. I mean really, I can’t think of another villain that was quite like Inferno. He was clearly insane…but not for the sake of having a crazy character. There was an explanation for his insanity. It actually made sense (and incidentally, was extremely funny, “My Queen!”). Anyone who refuses, to this day to give BW a chance, is really robbing themselves of a great show. Megatron’s speech in “The Agenda” right before he does the unthinkable is without question by most favorite Transformers moment. I think I need to pop the dvd in when I get home from work!

7. The Kid AMERICA FTW

It was truly a well written show. That's all that really was the reason it succeeded. That's all it is. It didn't need to be linked to g1 (though it was awesome to see the original bots again) in fact, the g1 connection is a 3 parter in which the beast warriors discover the arc and have to fight to keep megatron from killing Optimus Prime and his crew, and nothing more beyond that except I remember a message from megatron being in one episode. Oh and what was really cool was the way this sort of echoed planet of the apes in how the beast transformers discover they're on pre-historic earth the whole time. That was very clever of the writers to work that into the story that there were transformers on earth before the original transformers awoke millions of years later... cool stuff.

Making it an extention of G1's mythos just was the icing on the cake for me. No transformer show since has matched its quality unfortunately... those damn animes have dragged the transformer name through the mud and back again.

8. GhostPoet Registered

Agreed.

Had the connection to G1 never been made, I would have still loved the show as a Transformers series. It was the personaltities, NOT the appearances that made it so great.

That's my hope for the movie as well...I don't care if they change the appearance...as long as Prime is Prime and Megatron is Megatron in how they act...that's all I need to be a geek out transformers fan.

9. Gold Samurai Registered

or he talked through speakers ;)

if a live action movie weren't made i'd suffice for a cgi movie like segments of "the agenda" from beast wars
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the new TMNT movie and supposedly ghostbusters 3 are going CGI

it's cheaper and quicker(sometimes)

10. CFlash Registered

I completely understand what you're saying. But I think there's a lot to be said for continuity. Beast Wars apparently tried to tell a *different* story without erasing what came before. As I think Nosebleed likes to say, it "elevated" the source material. Based on what I know, I think it added to it.

However, I just don't think it's right to take a story that people love and turn it on its head, ripping out a lot of the things that many people feel had become iconic.

Basically, what I'm saying is that Michael Bay should tell a completely different story not the Bumblebee/Spike origin. A story with either completely different names or set in a completely different time period. Failing that, call the movie something else. Because Bumblebee is not a Hot-rod, Starscream is not an Orangutan, and Megatron isn't a monster from Aliens, man.

I mean really, why is it OK with some people that the Transformers movie is possibly the most unfaithful adaptation of a comicbook/cartoon story ever. I don't get it.

11. Hunter Rider Ronin

For me it's really easy,i look back and the original is a great concept but pretty Hokey now IMO so i have no issue with a retconning of it for a new age with new designs,i get it's a big deal b/c you love the original but some of us just aren't that attached to it and are open to a fresh take on the concept and characters

12. Stikmann Registered

Also, a lot of us aren't looking at the movie as a direct G1 adaptation. I'm looking at it as a new Transformers story or branch that pays homage to the original G1. I don't feel the need to look back too much. Just because BW did it so well, doesn't mean I expect that from every incarnation.

13. CFlash Registered

I dunno. I guess I just don't see an underpowered (on purpose) Bumblebee as being hokey. I also don't see how a chrome-laden Yeehaw truck is LESS hokey. Not to mention getting rid of the earth/energy environmental story in place of hokey-ier baby-making story.

In other words I'm glad the X-Men movie got rid of the hokey suits. But I would have been upset if the racism/prejudice undertones were removed. I don't so much care that Wolverine isn't the size of Danny Devito, but I would have been upset if they turned him into Collosus and gave him Collosus' powers. Know what I mean?

14. Hunter Rider Ronin

When i said hokey i was referring to the way it was executed and the desgins in their blocky and almost humanistic form,i just don't see any problem with Bumblbee being made into a car that a kid would actually want or Prime having flames,i like them personally,particuarly how the look in Robot mode,i get your prefer the other versions it just doesn't bother me at all,i like new things and fresh takes.

The enviroment story was pretty tenous and not exactly that great IMO plus now we are all well aware of the enviroment,no need to preach it through a movie again IMO,i don't see a baby making story at all,i see The deceps wanting the device that gives TF's their life force and Optimus and the Autobots trying to stop them and at the same time protect earth plus a coming of age story for Sam,personally i prefer that to the other enviroment angle

15. Stikmann Registered

Agreed. We don't need another Happy Feet, preaching about the environment to us. Besides, the environment issue was basically non-existant in the original cartoon.

16. CFlash Registered

When you see the Furbies and little baby robots scene you might change your mind.

In any case, re: the preachy.... well, you guys like to take it to an extreme to muddle a point (Happy Feet? Come on). I for one am glad the X-Men movie (based on a source that has had plenty of corny and hokey moments in its long history) didn't shy away from the meaningful story. I guess Transformers G1 sucked enough that it doesn't matter.

And, as I've said. Transformers wasn't Capt Planet. Just like X-Men was never "Roots." But the subtext was there. It was blatant. Why take it out of the movie?

17. Hunter Rider Ronin

I saw that scene more as the Spark going off an causing havoc and mayhem rather than baby making but it's one scene it's not the central plot or main story

B/c they are telling a different story

18. nosebleed. Registered

I can understand the "retconning" of Transformers. The updating of the designs was necessary. I don't particularly care for Optimus's mouth, Starscream's chicken legs or Megatron's overall appearance but I guess they are growing on me because I'm no longer infuriated with them. I'm just wondering why they went with such a drastic design change with all of the Transformers except for Optimus. He resemblance to his G1 design has won him over with the majority of fans (aside from the flames and alt-mode which I don't think are a big deal). Why couldn't they have done this with the other bots...what was the reasoning for the almost zero resemblance?

19. Hunter Rider Ronin

Well my take on it is with the Decpes they made them all more momsterous and animalistic,you can practically match them all in design to an animal and i think that was to make sure they are separate as the evil bots.

With the Autobots i think Bumblbee they just wanted to give more edge to,Ironhide was kinda blocky and his new take isn't that far off IMO same with Jazz,i'm honestly not sure what Ratchet looks like in the old toon

Prime's design (at least IMO)has aged a lot better than the others so it wasn't needed to be altered

20. CFlash Registered

A) If what you say were indeed true then Bumblebee and "Spike/Buster/Sam" wouldn't be in it.

B) What was so wrong with the core of the original story anyway? Oh, siphoning Earth resources is preachy? Muscle-cars are cooler today? I thought they were cool back in 83 too. Why wasn't Cliffjumper written to be the "human liason" back then?

I dunno. I don't mind reimaginings or "updates." I've just always thought Transformers had sorta a "hippie" or progressive feel. While this movie is... I dunno.... sorta "Republican" and jingoistic. It's just off.

21. Hunter Rider Ronin

B/c they kept the most human relatable part of the mythos doesn't mean they wanted to tell the same exact story

Look i'm not saying you have to like that they chose a different story i am saying i don't think the original story was as deep as you seem to find it with this kinda tenuous energy message and that it doesn't make it bad or wrong b/c they chose something else.

22. brimstone_halo Registered

I think alot of people are way too ANALitical and don't take it for what it is, a freeking live action TRANSFORMERS movie. I already love the movie just from what I have seen so far, I mean it would have to be really Really REALLY bad for me not to like it. Thats just IMO.

Ba weep grana weep nidybong

23. nosebleed. Registered

I'm not even pissed off about this movie anymore. I think I've called up my brother and b****ed about it to him enough for me to get over it. Either that or I'm in a lull.

Quiet before the storm?

24. Hunter Rider Ronin

heh,could be,maybe your saving up your rage for the actual release

25. CFlash Registered

It wouldn't have been bad or wrong if The Brotherhood in X-Men were turned into hoodlums with no real cause except to get rich and rule the world. Strip any "political" undertones.

And, not for nuthing.... but for heaven's sake: the energy/crisis undertones were not "tenuous." It was the whole recurring theme. In fact, it was the WHOLE PLOT. I'd direct you to the bios at http://tfarchive.com/cartoons/generationone/profiles/g1megatron.php
    where "Earth's Natural Resources" and "Earth's energy" is mentioned more than enough times as the core of the story.

Energon Cubes didn't appear out of thin air.