new GEARS OF WAR screenshots

Regarding the 'Subsistence' talk... Video Games are a business... They have made a crap load of money for Konami.

Mentok said:
Regarding the 'Subsistence' talk... Video Games are a business... They have made a crap load of money for Konami.

That is a reason for the double-dipping, yes, but not a justification, which is why people who get pissed off with the disgusting double-dip strategy of Konami have every right to do so.

Wow THWIP just accused the initial releases of being Teasers with Cinimatic Fluff, and not real games.

If people are so disgusted than don't buy the improved edition that comes with a ton of extra content the second time, being sol it at a lower price. People might just be disgusted because they KNOW it's smart buisiness. With Substance I might agree that it's Guilible Double dipping, but Subsistence is an entirely different story. They don't cut an important feature from the initial release just so they can put it in the re-release. You can just wait for the re-release if you don't want to get the initial release, no one is forcing you to buy these games in any specific order.

I've double dipped for every MGS release, and it's always been a good decision on my part. Especially with Subsistence. The added content is reason for me to get the game again if the added content is substancial enough. If it's just like the integral version of MGS1 that wasn't actually that much of a signifigant upgrade, Konami released those versions abroad as th actual MGS release and re-released integral at budget price in Japan.

But let's be honest, Subsistence is so much more than it would be stupid to call say it's a rip off to get the game twice. If you really enjoy the game and like the over flowing extra content of subsistence, why not? I've been doing pretty much nothing on my PS2 aside from playing Subsistence online and offline since it came out thanks to all the extra offline content and the Online mode which is fantastic (Sprinkled with Kingdom Hearts).

Point is Subsistence has been worth the money that I've spent on it.

Zenien said:
If people are so disgusted than don't buy the improved edition that comes with a ton of extra content the second time and sell it at a lower price.

"A ton of extra content" my ass. Good expansion packs of PC games pack twice as much new stuff at the exact same price, if not less. If you take away the silly and useless extras, there is absolutely nothing in Substance or Subsistence that couldn't have been thrown in the game the first time around.

People might just be disgusted because they KNOW it's smart buisiness.

No, they're disgusted because now they have to pay an extra 20-25 for things that could have been easily included with the game back when they paid 50 bucks for it. And it's not just Konami, but practically every movie studio that keeps rolling out "special editions with new extras" and "unrated/extended cuts" every few months after the release of theatrical cut DVD that deserve to be collectively lynched for this.

And all you uneducated half-wits calling this tactic "smart business" don't know the first thing about what exactly "smart business" really is to begin with.

I've "double dipped" for every MGS release, and it's always been a good decision on my part. Especially with Subsistence.

The only reason most people give in to double-dipping is mostly because of the fact that they want to get the most out of their favorite movie or game experience as possible. But judging purely in terms of value for money, I view neither Substance nor Subsistence as a "good decision". I only bought them because I'm an MGS junkie who desperately needs his fix, who can't stay normal thinking there's a new MGS disc on store shelves and I don't have it.

If you want the first game to have been delayed for a year sure.

Make sure to tell Nintendo that their handheld revision models are bad business.

Zenien said:
If you want the first game to have been delayed for a year sure.

Bullcrap. If fan-mod creators can come up with just as much stuff within a matter of a few months, I don't see how proffessional game developers can't.

Phaser said:
Even if you hate Kojima and the MGS franchise, there is no denying that Kojima is a lot more talented than Boll, at least when it comes down writing and cinema. Boll is not just a "typical Hollywood B-movie" hack. His films make B-movies look like Oscar material.

I honestly think that Boll is more talented. At least he KNOWS he sucks ass, whereas Kojima has dellusions of grandure. The only difference between the two is Kojima has fooled people into beliveing he's better than he is.

Halo 2's story sucked balls. What was up with that Little Shop of Horrors reject towards the end?

chi-boy said:
Halo 2's story sucked balls. What was up with that Little Shop of Horrors reject towards the end?

What's up with Vamp? And in that new trailer, a ******ed machine with legs? And Ninja? Did he just decide to throw every gaming cliche in the book in their or what?

Horrorfan said:
What's up with Vamp? And in that new trailer, a ******ed machine with legs? And Ninja? Did he just decide to throw every gaming cliche in the book in their or what?

Still better than a giant talking plant.

chi-boy said:
Still better than a giant talking plant.

So an alien parasite is the same as a plant now?

Better watch out whenever you pass a patch of daphodiles, kid.

When it looks stupid like this, then yes:

little-shop-horrors.jpg

And organic legs would work better in a combat situation, seeing as they can probably heal naturally over time, and move with more ease than a machine could. Besides, technology is getting smaller and smaller, it's only natural that it would come to resemble organic beings sooner or later.

chi-boy said:
When it looks stupid like this, then yes:

And organic legs would work better in a combat situation, seeing as they can probably heal naturally over time, and move with more ease than a machine could. Besides, technology is getting smaller and smaller, it's only natural that it would come to resemble organic beings sooner or later.

Yeah that's so much better than a bisexual vampire who comes out of nowhere, cyberninjas and psychic bondage gimps. And hiding in a cardboard box! Watch out Sam Fisher, there's a new master of stealth afoot!

Horrorfan said:
I honestly think that Boll is more talented. At least he KNOWS he sucks ass, whereas Kojima has dellusions of grandure. The only difference between the two is Kojima has fooled people into beliveing he's better than he is.

EXACTLY.

Zenien said:
Make sure to tell Nintendo that their handheld revision models are bad business.

Which is exactly why I called you clowns uneducated half-wits. Comparing apples with oranges.

Hardware manufacturers like Nintendo need to come up with new and improved products at regular intervals to sustain themselves and expand their share. It's just the way the hardware market works - manufacturers constantly have to keep juggling with implimenting the advancements in technology, decreasing production costs and product longevity. The hardware business thrives on variety, flexible buying options and keeping up with the latest trends to stay competitive. This is especially true for products that employ dated technology.

Not a single one of Nintendo's "revised handhelds" offers any kind of substantial additions over the older ones. It's pretty much a case of either the new gizmo being "smaller" or "improved" in some way, but still basically the same as the older models.

I find it especially amusing that your ignorance prompts you to equate hardware manufacturers rolling out newer versions of the same product with that of double dipping by movie studios and game publishers, simply because they couldn't be any less identical.

Software typically has a lot less longevity than hardware, so periodic updates without any substantial additions in functionality trying to sustain a dated product are a waste of precious R&D and company resources in this business.

The difference that I'm aiming to highlight here is that Nintendo's revised handheld models have nothing to do with "smart business" strategy, mainly because it is one of the most basic textbook tactics employed by hardware companies to stay functional.

I don't see how Konami not releasing so-called "special editions" of it's heavyweight franchise would somehow compromise their market share in any way. It's just yet another despicable way of making a quick buck, that's all.

Horrorfan said:

That's the most asinine logic I've ever seen. Just because Boll knows he sucks ass makes him more talented? Since when is self-acknowledgement of the failure of one's work prove to be it's qualitative merit?

Kojima could make a movie, but I doubt Boll could make a game.

Phaser said:
That's the most asinine logic I've ever seen. Just because Boll knows he sucks ass makes him more talented? Since when is self-acknowledgement of the failure of one's work prove to be it's qualitative merit?

Because it shows the guy is humble enough to know how much his work sucks. Not too many people are openly willing to admit faliure, and that's a good quality to have. Because if your convinced you are a god at your chosen field, you will never improve. I doubt Boll ever will improve, but you must be able to see how it's more admirable than being **** and refusing to acknoledge it.

I thought Hojima toned down alot of the codec and subplots in MG3 after all the complaints about MG2. How is that not aknowledging something that's wrong or ignoring fans???

Horrorfan said:
Because it shows the guy is humble enough to know how much his work sucks. Not too many people are openly willing to admit faliure, and that's a good quality to have. Because if your convinced you are a god at your chosen field, you will never improve. I doubt Boll ever will improve, but you must be able to see how it's more admirable than being **** and refusing to acknoledge it.

Humbleness might be a good quality to have, but it does not, in any way shape or form, equal talent. Otherwise Russell Crowe might have been the worst actor walking the face of the Earth and all of Itagaki's games would have sucked major ass (since both of them think their **** smells sweeter than roses). Which couldn't be farther from the truth.

Phaser said:
Humbleness might be a good quality to have, but it does not, in any way shape or form, equal talent. Otherwise Russell Crowe might have been the worst actor walking the face of the Earth and all of Itagaki's games would have sucked major ass (since both of them think their **** smells sweeter than roses). Which couldn't be farther from the truth.

Well, I still say he can write better, more convincing dialogue. Not that he does write convincing and good dialogue, but in comparison.

Horrorfan said:
Well, I still say he can write better, more convincing dialogue. Not that he does write convincing and good dialogue, but in comparison.

Does he actually write the english scripts too? I would imagine alot gets lost in the translation, especially for a complicated game like MGS.

Horrorfan said:

You must either have the hots for Boll, or don't have the slightest idea of what constitutes even remotely convincing writing and good dialogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"