New Gods. Ava DuVernay to direct

Kane, bro you really think she woudn't have been in negotiations for the last 3 months or so? You don;t just announce something like this in day's.

Cast Danny Devito as Oberon.

best thing about this news is ava gets another chance at a blockbuster as a woman especially a black woman i didn't think she would get the opportunity its awesome since many men especially white men have had big flops and still got big budget work

Also the white man fails and keeps getting jobs everywhere not just Hollywood. Ain't nothing' wrong with a few bumps in the road.

Regardless of A Wrinkle in Time's problems with its script and CGI, the movie still demonstrated some very cool visuals. [BLACKOUT]Like the hallway shots when Meg was reunited with her father. [/BLACKOUT] AWIT is a good movie for DuVernay to cut her teeth with. She has a little more experience with big budgets and CGI going into this movie.

I might just go ahead and use my MoviePass on AWiT this weekend to see if I can spot any silver linings with this hiring. Everything I’d heard and seen of the film was just all kinds of dreadful, but I gotta find hope somewhere…

At the very least she needs a new VFX and art team.

I’m really curious when she signed the dotted line. After this weekend people were convinced her days of directing 100+ million dollar pics were over. But you can’t skimp cash on a Fourth World movie. So are WB really going to take a massive risk with her on this? This is all the makings of another eleventh-hour restructuring and intervention.
In terms of scale, New Gods is certainly more in line with A Wrinkle in Time than it is with something like Selma. But A Wrinkle in Time doesn't suddenly nullify her work on Selma, which is a magnificent character piece. She's an intelligent filmmaker, and even the best filmmakers end up with a dud on their resume. It shouldn't keep her from getting more opportunities like this. If nothing else, A Wrinkle in Time shows that she has a unique visual style that lends itself very well to the sort of "out there" visuals you find in the Fourth World. Really, the movie's problems mainly stemmed from narrative missteps, so it was more of a script issue than anything else. On that note, I'm very curious to see who they get on scripting duties for this one.

Now, how much money WB is willing to invest in this is the big question. New Gods is basically the Bible of DC Comics. It's DC's equivalent to Lord of the Rings. You can't cheap out on this one. This has to be a balls-to-the-wall, swing-for-the-fences sort of project.

Last edited:
I might just go ahead and use my MoviePass on AWiT this weekend to see if I can spot any silver linings with this hiring. Everything I’d heard and seen of the film was just all kinds of dreadful, but I gotta find hope somewhere…

At the very least she needs a new VFX and art team.

I’m really curious when she signed the dotted line. After this weekend people were convinced her days of directing 100+ million dollar pics were over. But you can’t skimp cash on a Fourth World movie. So are WB really going to take a massive risk with her on this? This is all the makings of another eleventh-hour restructuring and intervention.

It may be that she just needs to stop making movies where emotions are the action scenes. Maybe one where monsters are just monsters and not metaphysical concepts. That takes a LOT of weight off your VFX and art team, honestly.

best thing about this news is ava gets another chance at a blockbuster as a woman especially a black woman i didn't think she would get the opportunity its awesome since many men especially white men have had big flops and still got big budget work

THAT is the surprising thing. Usually if a Black person makes a misstep, that's curtains for their career. I think she's playing the game well, having this lined up going into AWIT, where now she's got Oprah on her side and while middling, can say she's the director who filmed the unfilmable, and that's what she would need to make a movie about Big Barda, who she said long ago was her favorite. This might just be genius on her part.

Wonder how much racebending she'll do.

Don't really like DC but I like Ava so I'll see it

I just don't care about getting a New Gods movie. It's pretty much at the bottom of the list of DC movies in development for me, regardless of who's directing it.

New Gods was never my jam but if she manages to stay on the project, they’ll make it happen

I guess not everyone was surprised! Wow.

Oscar Isaac is my fancast for Mister Miracle.

Oscar Isaac is my fancast for Mister Miracle.

e8b03db2355b8b73312be8746d70e678.jpg

tumblr_o0358zj8l61rertyro1_500.gif

Hmm. I just don't picture The New Gods as one film. To me this needs to be a Lord of the Rings type deal. But I of course know that ain't happening. I "like" Ava via her interviews over the years but I haven't seen any of her films yet, so I can't really comment on her as a director. Guess we'll see if this pans out...

I know she singled out Guy Ritchie a couple days ago and there is a point to that, but I’d argue reputation and clout are also huge factors in allowing those “second chances” at blockbusters. Off the top of my head, I can’t really name an up-and-coming white male director who flopped at their big chance and still got a do-over soon after. I could be wrong.

In terms of scale, New Gods is certainly more in line with A Wrinkle in Time than it is with something like Selma. But A Wrinkle in Time doesn't suddenly nullify her work on Selma, which is a magnificent character piece. She's an intelligent filmmaker, and even the best filmmakers end up with a dud on their resume. It shouldn't keep her from getting more opportunities like this. If nothing else, A Wrinkle in Time shows that she has a unique visual style that lends itself very well to the sort of "out there" visuals you find in the Fourth World. Really, the movie's problems mainly stemmed from narrative missteps, so it was more of a script issue than anything else.

Have you seen the film?

I’ve only ever looked at the first two trailers, but the visuals were hideous in my opinion. Oprah and co. looked like something out of a wonky stage play, and I couldn’t help but laugh at the floating lettuce that was featured everywhere. Granted it’s a kid’s movie, but it couldn’t be further from attractive. I honestly dread what's in store for the New Gods if this is any indication of her directive.

I’ve already ragged on Snyder for his sloppy green screen work, I fear we’re stepping right back into that territory. They really needed someone of George Miller's capability to take the reins on this. Shame of that legal dispute.

Oprah as Granny Goodness

I expect nothing less!

Her costume in A Wrinkle In Time does kinda have Granny Goodness feel to it.

Based on rumors, she and Oprah would probably have to reconcile a little bit by that point.

Wonder how much racebending she'll do.

Don't really like DC but I like Ava so I'll see it

Hopefully as many as possible. Nothing is funnier than oversensitive fanboys. The threads on Zendaya and Zazie Beetz are goldmines of hilarity.

Jekecy,

Yeah I've seen it. Didn't care for it at all. Still, is Oprah's outfit that much more ridiculous than what Granny Goodness runs around in? The special effects were unimpressive, but I quite enjoyed the designs themselves.

All I'm saying is this. Different project, different screenwriter, and presumably a different creative team. I really enjoyed Selma, so I'm much more comfortable giving her another chance at a film of this scale. Selma is better than most films on the resumes of other DCEU directors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"