New Gods. Ava DuVernay to direct

627527.jpg

I didn't know he was sporting an Abe Lincoln beard under that mask. And I checked a few pics, it's pretty much a mainstay.

Too bad Day-Lewis is retired.

Make your protagonists Scott and Barda, lean in hard on their romance and shared traumatic childhoods and you’re golden. I can only hope this is the narrative of the actual movie

It needs to be them 2 and Orion as the focus. Especially to really get to mine the juxtaposition between Scott's upbringing on Apokolips and Orion's on New Genesis.

I'm looking forward to this film (and Green Lantern Corps), because it'll introduce yet another one of the Worlds of DC (see what I did there. :p). In Mos, we're introduced to Krypton; in WW, we're brought to Themyscira; and in Aquaman, we're given a tour of Atlantis. So, I'm now excited to see New Genesis and Apokolips (and of course the first live-action adaptation of Dark Seid). However, I feel that Warner Bros. should have chosen Peter Jackson to direct New Gods; it just seems like the type of film that's right up his alley, based on its thematic similarities to Lord of the Rings (e.g. monarchies, heirs, social hierarchies, battles between polities, etc); he has far more experience than Ava Duvernay in regard to directing a film with the narrative and production scale of a film that would do the New Gods justice.

Last edited:
Experience isn't everything. The Hobbit films kind of took the shine off of Jackson for me.

The productions of those films were rushed; their quality wasn't his fault.

I never looked into the behind the scenes stuff on them, I would have assumed after LOTR they'd have let him do whatever he wanted.
I guess it's always more complicated than it first appears.

Of course no matter who is directing New Gods, the threat of studio interference looms large.

The productions of those films were rushed; their quality wasn't his fault.

I won't absolve Jackson entirely or blame, as it was still his creative choices to make some of the scenes as cartoony as they were. Like, barrel-dwarf I could have told you with no prep time was dumb. But you're right, he got 5 months to pick up the pieces left by GDT's version and craft it into his own (compared to LOTR where he had years). Also, Hobbit never seemed like he had as much enthusiasm as LOTR. So the studio was mostly at fault for the Hobbit films, but I cannot say Jackson didn't make some bad choices where he should have known better.

It’d be like getting a splatter horror director to helm a trilogy of sweeping fantasy epics!

I won't absolve Jackson entirely or blame, as it was still his creative choices to make some of the scenes as cartoony as they were. Like, barrel-dwarf I could have told you with no prep time was dumb. But you're right, he got 5 months to pick up the pieces left by GDT's version and craft it into his own (compared to LOTR where he had years). Also, Hobbit never seemed like he had as much enthusiasm as LOTR. So the studio was mostly at fault for the Hobbit films, but I cannot say Jackson didn't make some bad choices where he should have known better.
Well, even considering what you've said here, I believe that he'd be a better choice than Ava Duvernay.

Well, even considering what you've said here, I believe that he'd be a better choice than Ava Duvernay.

The other part of that equation is whether or not Jackson would even consider doing it if he was asked. Even if suited for this, he may just have no interest in it.

The most obvious conflict would be Orion not fully trusting Barda and Miracle due to how they grew up and assuming it's all part of a Darkseid ploy.

The other part of that equation is whether or not Jackson would even consider doing it if he was asked. Even if suited for this, he may just have no interest in it.

Well, yea, that's a possibility. However, we're just talking hypothetically, anyway.

I think it's highly likely they chose Ava because this film will be fairly female-centric, with Barda, The Furies and Granny. Goodness featuring heavily, and they wanted a female director.

I'd say she had to be a better actress if it wasn't for Gal Gadot, but Gina Carano would make a decent Barda if they were looking for someone already with the build.

Or Logan Marshall Green. I just thought of him after that Upgrade movie.
Are he and DuVernay friends and thus he'll likely get the/a part? His name seems to always pop up with her tweets.

Cast Not Tom Hardy as Scott and Actual Tom Hardy as Orion. The meta jokes would write themselves.

EXCLUSIVE: DC’s ‘New Gods’ Villains Revealed

Granny Goodness and the Female Furies will be the villains in DC’s upcoming ‘New Gods’ movie, which multiple sources have confirmed to The GWW. Mr. Miracle and Big Barda are the main protagonists, so it only makes sense that these would be the baddies they go up against. The movie is still being written, however, so while the current iteration of the story features these characters, it could change before pre-production begins.

If they’re positioning this as a franchise, best to start with Granny and the Furies.

Oprah would make an amazing Granny Goodness

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"