New Gods. Ava DuVernay to direct

Just because AWIT didn't turn out well doesn't mean that Ava can't do another big budget film, there are loads of big name directors who have big budget flops but still get hired.

The thing about New Gods is that while it's set in the DC Universe, it can be much its own thing without affecting what goes on elsewhere. I suspect it'll be Orion, Big Barda and Mister Miracle as the heroes, not sure who'll they go for as the main villain.

With this being DC's cosmic film that will have a villain working in association with Darkseid, I guess this will technically be DC's Guardians of The Galaxy.

I can get on board with this.

I’m loving this. New Gods has such tremendous potential to not only be a blockbuster but also a game changing epic. Star Wars meets Lord of the Rings. It would be smart to really not even sell this as a superhero movie. It’s a movie about an uneasy truce between good and evil. Infant sons traded to keep the peace and once peace starts slipping away it’s war between the Gods. Orion, Kalibak, Highfather, Darkseid, Mr. Miracle, Granny Goodness, the furies, The tomorrow people. With a great cast and direction this could be amazing. I’m gonna stay positive and excited about this news( Selma was amazing, not seen Wrinkle in Time). Also part of me really wants John Krasinski for Scott Free

I suggested her for MOS2... I was off by a DC property or two. Looking forward to the casting for this one.

I haven't seen any films from DuVernay, though it seems her trajectory is pretty smooth as far as reviews(sans AWIT), but more importantly, I'm very excited to hear a New Gods movie announced!

Well, good for Ava DuVernay for getting another chance to helm a big budgeted blockbuster. Even though I didn't care for AWIT, I'm happy that it didn't hurt her directing career and she is still getting more opportunities.

That said, I'm not that hopeful for this project. Admittedly Wonder Woman wowed me enough to believe that the DCEU is salvageable, but I just can't help that the WB executives will meddle with this project like they've had with so many others in the DCEU.

I'm wondering if the movie will mention Steppenwolf?

I really think she's not fit for major blockbuster-sized productions like this. I like her smaller, independent work, but A Wrinkle in Time was a poorly directed film.

Now, how much money WB is willing to invest in this is the big question. New Gods is basically the Bible of DC Comics. It's DC's equivalent to Lord of the Rings. You can't cheap out on this one. This has to be a balls-to-the-wall, swing-for-the-fences sort of project.

I like that analogy. And yes I absolutely agree.

It'll be interesting to see just how this concept flies with GAs. Obviously they'll be coming in with no preconceptions of the characters. If done right this could be big, even with people not normally into CBMs.

i need to watch her movies

it's nice to see her get a second chance at a blockbuster

i hope she ****ing kills it
CarltonBanksFreshPrince.jpg

I just saw someone on Twitter suggest Kathy Bates for Granny Goodness and my whole mind shattered.

I really think she's not fit for major blockbuster-sized productions like this. I like her smaller, independent work, but A Wrinkle in Time was a poorly directed film.
I personally thought it was the source material. Especially after seeing the book summarized on Thug Notes lol

I'm actually very excited about the idea of a New Gods movie, and I really hope they can pull if off successfully the way they did with Wonder Woman. There's so much rich potential to be found adapting the New Gods mythology.

I'm actually very excited about the idea of a New Gods movie, and I really hope they can pull if off successfully the way they did with Wonder Woman. There's so much rich potential to be found adapting the New Gods mythology.

I realise that this is all a very long way off - if it happens at all - but wouldn't it be something if the front-runners of the DCEU franchise turned out to be Wonder Woman and the New Gods. Who would have put a bet on that four years ago??

That might be the case. Some artsy directors are far better in their realm of indies, but glad she's been able to get opportunities to diversify.

So Ava won't direct BP but would do New Gods for WB/DC? I guess they're giving her 100% creative freedom for her to agree.

I doubt WB is giving her more freedom in a significant way. Just that they're cool with what she wants to do so far.

New Gods is nothing like GOTG imo. It reminds me of Star Wars especially in the terms of Franchise potential. You can spin-off a bunch of characters

Kane, bro you really think she woudn't have been in negotiations for the last 3 months or so? You don;t just announce something like this in day's.

Female directors should get second chances too, you know.....:yay:

Hey, it worked for Zack Snyder.

This aint how it works, bald man. :oldrazz:

They surely been in talks for awhile now, regardless of her big budget dud. I'm glad she gets another shot at the plate. I also can't wait for Ava to cast minority actors in these roles and see the outcry from fans.

it's worked for so many directors before her. She has 1 big flop and her career is suppose to be extinguished?

giphy.gif

Hopefully she learned from her mistakes with A Wrinkle in Time and will do better with New Gods.

I can't say that this is what I would want in charge of a Fourth World movie. But then I am thoroughly in the minority in thinking that a satisfying version of the New Gods could ever be made because... Well... the source material just isn't that strong in the first place, and that truth has never been popular with the comic book cognoscenti types.

When you think of a movie on New Gods by Jack Kirby, George Miller is the director that seems the obvious choice or maybe Zack Snyder, Ava DuVernay os not who I would have chosen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"