New Gods. Ava DuVernay to direct

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Speed Force, Mar 15, 2018.

1. weezerspider Registered

Man that’s crazy! That’s 100% believable since they aren’t making another Batman without Ben— oh wait. *rolls eyes*

DlAMONDZ likes this.
  2. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

Oh man, just because of Kings approach to Darkseid i wanted to see this.
    By the gods if this mean we get some more snyderverse bull****, then im gonna cut someone.

Get your head straight WB for christ sake.

3. weezerspider Registered

Also, looks like someone at WB finally got around to watching A Wrinkle In Time :funny:

The Lazarus Pit likes this.
  4. TheFuture Valar Dohaeris

It's easy to blame the Snyder fanbase but tbh there's more going on here than WB will let on. They're getting painfully close to ripping up the script completely which is exactly what they need to do, New Gods is just a casualty of that. Honestly, who has been expecting this film to be made for more than a year now?

blackdragon6 likes this.
  5. TheVileOne Registered

There's an easy solution to all of this. Hire Zack Snyder to direct New Gods :D

Lencho01, powerman33 and blackdragon6 like this.
  6. LifesEnd Registered

hell no.

7. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

The world doesn't need anymore Icelandic people sniffing clothing and singing folk hymns

Lencho01, Holy Slapper and TheVileOne like this.
  8. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

Having read Tom King’s Mister Miracle three times now, I agree wholeheartedly.

Everything I had heard from Duvernay and King led me to believe that they were embracing a Kirby-inspired vision for these characters, which is exactly what they need and deserve.

And please, no Snyder. Even though I was surprised that his Darkseid wasn’t completely atrocious, I still don’t see him being able to translate the huge personalities that exist within the Fourth World. Most of that world is not dark and gritty. Even with Apokolypse, I think simply showing it as a “fire planet” is lazy and one dimensional. The Fourth World villains include folks like Kanto, Dr. Bedlam and Virmin Vunderbaar, which are all very colorful and flamboyant characters. That’s what makes the Fourth World fun and interesting.

Primal Slayer and Mani-Man like this.
  9. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos (P)

It's a shame but yeah, just scrolling back a couple pages it's easy to tell how predictable this has become.

Boy Scout likes this.
  10. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

The Batman was already in production before the Snydercut was even a thing

11. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Pretty much this. I read "too big" as meaning "too expensive". Which makes sense, doing justice to the New Gods would definitely require a Thor/GotG level budget, which might just have been beyond what WB was willing to bet on what is ultimately a second tier franchise. Especially if there was also internal skepticism/pushback over what definitely would have needed to be the complete opposite of the traditional DCEU "grim realism" aesthetic sensibility ( ie, 'colors other than black' ).

TheVileOne likes this.
  12. weezerspider Registered

There’s also a new Superman in development...

All snark aside, that’s not how the business works. Plus, you can tell by how poor ZSJL numbers were on HBO Max that those loud voices are a minority.

13. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

LOL it’s funny cuz it’s true.

14. Frodo Registered

I tend to think what happened with New Gods is what usually happens to WB DC projects in development, i.e. the script probably wasn't good and they got cold feet.

I certainly think alot of the fan and geek pundit moaning about a JL2 certainly affirmed their thinking that they should pull the plug anyway.

So, I think fans may have been a contributing factor in that sense, but WB were probably gonna pull the plug whether or not the Snyder cut did well.

The Lazarus Pit likes this.
  15. SupermanFan Registered

I said when it was announced wouldn’t happen. I’m not fussed it’s not happening cause I had no interest anyway but this is another thing that makes WB look stupid. They need to stop announcing stuff is in development until it’s ready to go in front of the cameras.

#1215 SupermanFan, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  16. SupermanFan Registered

The numbers we haven’t even seen yet, the SambaTV numbers we’ve had have been for smart TVs.

Not to mention SC has been huge on Crave in Canada, Binge in Australia, HBO Go in Brazil and Sky/Now TV in the UK.

Also the trending event for Restore the Snyderverse did twice the numbers that the Nov 17 2019 event did with 1.5 mil.

Restore the Snyderverse is way more than a minority.

17. AVEITWITHJAMON Badass Cloud

Called this about a year ago

SupermanFan likes this.
  18. TheAlteran Registered

Feels like WB / WM might need a shake up soon under AT&T. DC has been mismanaged FOR DECADES no matter who has been in charge

19. Boom I got nothin'

It isn't.

1.5 million is a drop in the pond compared to a global movie-going audience. Hell, it's a drop in the pond compared to the total number of active Twitter users.

And that's even assuming that all 1.5 million of those hashtag mentions were done by 1.5 million individual users, which is not likely.

#1219 Boom, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  20. DlAMONDZ Registered

The only movie currently "in development" I see actually happening is JJ's Superman. And that's only because of the obscene amount of money AT&T paid for him

21. SupermanFan Registered

I think Zatanna will also, any projects under Bad Robot’s stewardship will be most likely to happen.

Iceman likes this.
  22. SupermanFan Registered

Given the fact the most tweeted movie in 24 hours prior was around 1.4m (Avengers Endgame) I’m gonna disagree with you there.

I never said it was but nothing that trends is individual tweeters either.

23. geetard Rebirth

And what will happen when they'll see Rise of Skywalker? Cancel those DC projects under the Bad Robot banner? :o

Tyler77 likes this.
  24. Frodo Registered

I think the reality is, while the Snyder renaissance is big in fandom circles , geek culture, and in the community, I'm not sure how much of that is truly reflective of the GA as a whole.

While alot of fans are giving Snyder a second look and reassessing his legacy, I don't really see that among the general public at this point.

I'm not saying the public doesn't like Snyder's work. I'm just saying I don't think the talk around Justice League or potential sequels is really reflective of the general audience demand .

Alot of fans were making the Snyder cut seem like it had the quality and cultural impact of TDK or Avengers Endgame , but the reality is, the outrage of WB's recent statements and the restore the Snyderverse talk, seems pretty limited to a community already engaged and invested, as opposed to the general audience.

Tyler77, Babillygunn and Boom like this.
  25. Boom I got nothin'

Bingo. Perfectly put.

Tyler77 and Babillygunn like this.