New Gods. Ava DuVernay to direct

I find it very plausible that fan response and Snyder's vision was one of several reasons why WB pulled the plug.

Why would WB want to move forward with a vision of Darkseid and co when fans are already wanting to see Snyders praised version of the same characters ?

All it would do is further antagonize fans , especially if the NG script stinks. In that case, it would vindicate Snyder.

So I actually dont think it's out if the realm of possiblity that fan anger at WB played at least some part in WB pulling the plug. It would be in keeping to their usual reactionary response to a backlash.

I also wouldn't be suprised if they want Ava to direct the Coates Superman reboot instead, but im just speculating.

If I'm Ava, I wouldn't touch JJ Superman with a ten foot pole. If she thought Snyder fans pestering her was bad, all the racists claiming she hates white people would've been even worse

If I'm Ava, I wouldn't touch JJ Superman with a ten foot pole. If she thought Snyder fans pestering her was bad, all the racists claiming she hates white people would've been even worse

Well, whether she would say yes or not is another issue, but I wouldn't surprise if WB wasn't at least considering her for that .

That being said , theyll be a certain type of bigot and racist who'll complain if she did get the gig. But they'll always be around, and if the script is actually good , I doubt shed allow them to dictate to her what she should or shouldn't do.

It'd be the script that would keep her away as opposed to bigots.

There is so much more to the Fourth World than Darkseid and a hellscape version of Apokolypse.

I would agree, but my question was in regards to WB's point of view, not the merits or doing a New Gods film in general.

If they moved forward, they wouldn't be exploring Apokolips in a vacuum. It'd be made in the context of Snyder fans demanding Snyder deal with all of that stuff, as opposed to letting another filmmaker touch it.

It would basically be another headache from WB's vantage point.

That may not be the right thing for them to do, but it makes sense to me if WB felt that they shouldn't go near any of the territory that the ZS cut touched or what fans demand a JL2 touch.

Again, I'm speaking about what WB is thinking, not what the right thing to do is.

I’m just curious to know what made all of this fall through. Ava is an incredibly talented filmmaker and WB would have been lucky to have her on this. It may not have been any drama-related issue at all; she has a lot of projects going on and perhaps she just didn’t have the time to work on a huge movie like this. But, given WB’s history of interfering with productions, I wonder if they were trying to push her to include things she didn’t want. Hopefully more information will come out soon.

As I said above, while I do think the tensions with the Snyder fans played a role, I suspect it was the script first and fourmost which made WB get cold feet.

Having followed WB's long history of stalled DC projects, the script usually tends to be the culprit for why WB doesn't move forward.

Not always of course , but they tend to get cold foot when the script isn't up to snuff. I suspect the script probably wasn't that good . Ava didn't seem all that broken up about it, so that tells me she may not have had much faith in the current script as well.

I know I'm late to the game, but I just picked up and read a TPB of "New Gods" by Jack Kirby. Just based off that, this could make an amazing live action film. I loved learning about Darkseid's family, how he came into power, amd how evil he truly is. Great stuff. Orion is a very cool character. Metron was very mysterious and interesting as well.

I know I'm late to the game, but I just picked up and read a TPB of "New Gods" by Jack Kirby. Just based off that, this could make an amazing live action film. I loved learning about Darkseid's family, how he came into power, amd how evil he truly is. Great stuff. Orion is a very cool character. Metron was very mysterious and interesting as well.
I know that I’m a broken record but I wholeheartedly agree. A Kirby inspired Fourth World would be different from any comic book movie ever made. It would be off the wall brilliant with larger than life characters.

uVernay addressed the topic during an interview on Sirius XM. Additionally, DuVernay confirmed that Darkseid’s appearance in Zack Snyder’s Justice League was the primary reason the New Gods was cancelled.

“I loved New Gods, which is the project that got axed,” said DuVernay. “The studio decided that they did not want to pursue a certain part of that comic world based on some things that were going on with another film in that world. So, before I even was able to kind of complete my script with Tom King, they axed it. But I already had two projects going.”
Ava DuVernay Explains Why the New Gods Movie Was Cancelled

So we can have 3 different Batmen at one time but we draw the line at 2 Darkseids that would be 2-3 years apart from one another?

I'm sure it'll happen eventually. Though I suspect when it does, it'll be with a new filmmaker.

Oh @Primal Slayer why do you have to rub salt in the wound and remind me that this isn’t happening anymore? :argh:
I would trade every Marvel and DC property that is currently in production just for this film. I would absolutely love a properly done Fourth World movie above everything else.

After the terrible reception to The Eternals I'm almost certain WB won't touch this for awhile. But it's crazy how they wouldn't make a New God's film just cause Darkseid showed up in Justice League. That's just kinda strangely petty. Isn't New God's more than Darkseid anyway. You would think his appearance in JL would work into New God's favor. If the timelines is an issue couldn't it be placed BEFORE Justice League?! I feel like this is a none issue. Just so much drama and wasted potential all around.

Last edited:
After the Luke warm reception to The Eternals I'm almost certain WB won't touch this for awhile. But it's crazy how they wouldn't make a New God's film just cause Darkseid showed up in Justice League. That's just kinda strangely petty. Isn't New God's more than Darkseid anyway. You would think his appearance in JL would work into New God's favor. If the timelines is an issue couldn't it be placed BEFORE Justice League?! I feel like this is a none issue. Just so much drama and wasted potential all around.

I wouldn't call it a non-issue so much as a pretense. No, the audience wouldn't be "confused", and most of the audience wouldn't have even seen the Snyder version. However, its easier to say "we don't want to confuse the audience" than it is to say "we are fighting over which execs get to control which characters and projects".

That said, I wouldn't entirely exclude good old "WB gets cold feet about anything less sure fire than Batman". Making a New Gods movie would be risky, and why do that when you can make more Batman?

You guys, hear me out. Hear me out. I’ve got an idea.

New Gods…

with Batman. Maybe even refer to him as Batgod so it fits better.

Box office gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"