New Gods in the New 52

Artistsean

Monkey Boy
Reaction score
Now that DC has relaunched everything as the New 52 and are reintroducing
everything, they are getting around to bringing back the New Gods (by Jack Kirby). But
So far they have been spread out. With appearances here and there by different
characters. So I thought I would round them up and show what they look like now. If
you have any characters to add or information to add please feel free to do so.

Darkseid
showed in in Justice League
2168540-justice_league_5_02_1000.jpg

Darksied's armor is a lot more elaborate and colorful than Kirby's version. He is also a
giant compared to other characters like the Flash or Superman. He still has his Omega
Beams. And is still stronger than Superman. It also is shown that there are
Apocalypse Rats that came to Earth through the Boom Tubes and that there is
radiation from Apocalypse effecting humans on Earth.
1724138-darkseid.jpg

Parademons also appeared (in issue #1)
2130660-parademons.jpg

I am unsure what they were before in Kirby's version, but in the New 52 they appear to
be humans (or Apocalyptians) experimented on and mutilated into these things.
Batman stopped a factory in Justice League that was harvesting humans for this
purpose. These Parademons are no longer just demonic soldiers. They now morph
and mutate into different things, growing robot spider legs, wings, and other things.
Almost like the flesh and bones are just there to support the robot parts.
745955-para_4.jpg

Orion is now appearing in Wonder Woman:
2684093-orion.jpg

Not much has been seen of Orion in Wonder Woman yet. But there seems to be
a connection between the old (Wonder Woman/Greek) Gods and the New (Orion) gods.
111900-65425-orion.jpg
85006-11009-orion.png

Steppenwolf is currently [BLACKOUT](stuck)[/BLACKOUT] in Earth 2
2327290-screen_shot_2012_05_04_at_8.45.48_pm.png

Steppenwolf talks about the great deal of effort that went into using Boom Tubes. He
also takes great delight in [BLACKOUT]acting as father to Wonder Woman's daughter[/BLACKOUT], after he
murdered her. This shows that perhaps Apocalypse is still a place where everything is
fear and hatred and love is beaten out of them. Steppenworlf is also shown to be
much larger than an average human. But not nearly as big as Darkseid.
96766-109239-steppenwolf.jpg

Weren't Steppenwolf and Desaad also in Justice League #6 fiddling with Superman?

And Orion chats with Highfather in one of the Wonder Woman issues.

Waiting to see Barda, i would love if she appeared in WW and they duke it out.

Also, New Orion's new face is revealed in WW issue 19.
tumblr_inline_mghhikXJ7u1qbujox.jpg

Havent they revealed Orions face already in Wonder Woman. His helmet is made with a faceplate the slides up. Or did I imagine that?

Yeah, they did. But, if they're still following the Kirby idea, Orion was actually a pretty ugly dude and he used mother box technology to cover it up. So, I'm assuming what's on that cover is probably what he looks like without the disguise.

Yeah, they did. But, if they're still following the Kirby idea, Orion was actually a pretty ugly dude and he used mother box technology to cover it up. So, I'm assuming what's on that cover is probably what he looks like without the disguise.

Oh I never knew that

OrionDualityNG3pg6_sml.jpg

Yup, looks just like his dad....only less rocky.

Mokkari appeared in O.M.A.C. and Kanto appeared in Justice League.

Mokkari appeared in O.M.A.C. and Kanto appeared in Justice League.
2278451-mokkari_gobblers_1.jpg

2119892-mokkari_gators_1.jpg
I didn't read OMAC, so I don't know what was changed. But Mokkari looks more like the original Kirby designs.

Weren't Steppenwolf and Desaad also in Justice League #6 fiddling with Superman?

And Orion chats with Highfather in one of the Wonder Woman issues.
2566621-desaad2.jpg

1985034-desaad.jpg
Desaad looks, now, more like a faceless witchy monster thing rather than a wretched old man. But he seems pretty similar to who he was before.

Do the character designs make the New Gods characters seem consistent or too different?

Not a fan of how Lee redesigned the New Gods in his Justice League run, but outside of Justice League, the rest seem to be the same as they looked before the New 52. Earth-2 doesn't really count, so Steppenwolf gets a pass.

Steppenwolf is the same Steppenwolf as the reular New 52 DCU Steppenwolf. So he is from the same world as Darksied, the Parademons, Mokkari, Orion, Desaad, and the rest.
I am just curious because the original New Gods were all designed and drawn by Jack Kirby. 1 artist so it was easy to make all the designs and the enironments look like they went together. But now with the characters popping up in different spots by different artists, makes me wonder about the consistency.
I LOVE the redesign of the Parademons, their look and their concept. The idea that they are really just flesh and bones connecting the robot parts. And that their bodies and be modified to fly, go underwater, or on ground (grow spidery robot legs). Sort of Darkseid's all purpose zombie soldiers.
I also greatly like Orion's space man biker design. I might have made him wearing red metal spacey looking knight's armor, but this is probably better than what I would have come up with.
I am not saying any of the redesigns are bad, Darkseid having more elaborate armor is reasonable. Him being a giant compared to anyone else is awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"