New hobbies you'd like to get into

Long before this thread was revived, I mentioned wanting to really get into cosplay. Back in November, I started working on a Kingsguard suit of armor from Game of Thrones. It was finally finished last week, and I debuted it at a convention in North Carolina. Here's a shot of my costume. I'll edit this comment and post a pic from the NYT when I get one from them.

IMG_2205_zpsd175d59d.jpg

Within a few minutes of getting into the con, a New York Times reporter approached me, stating that they were going to do a photo session with George RR Martin later that day. Apparently, he saw me waiting in line and requested that I be there. It was amazing - he was a very awesome guy and after the photo session, he signed one of my books and gave me a replica of the coin given to Arya by the Faceless Man.

There were countless other moments that day that I will never forget; I made new friends, had a LOT of laughs...it was one of the best days I've had in a VERY long time. The experience NEVER would have happened had I not decided to finally get off my butt and do something I've wanted to do for a long time. Without going all cliche on people, this experience taught me that if there's something you want to do, DO IT. There's no telling what you'll miss out on if you keep finding excuses not to try.

That's amazing! Thank you for sharing!

What did you use for your armor? Is it Worbla?

Thanks!

The armor is mostly made out of sintra - similar to worbla, but thicker and (IMO) better/sturdier for armor. There's also some bondo, leather (obviously), and the shoulders are actually made from domed trashcan lids. I designed and built everything, and a friend painted the leg, shoulder and chest/back armor.

that's very nicely done!

Thanks!

The armor is mostly made out of sintra - similar to worbla, but thicker and (IMO) better/sturdier for armor. There's also some bondo, leather (obviously), and the shoulders are actually made from domed trashcan lids. I designed and built everything, and a friend painted the leg, shoulder and chest/back armor.

I have a billion questions I'd like to ask about working with with moldable thermoplastics...but I won't bombard you. Again, great work :-)

I hope you do post the picture of you from the New York Times!

I'm thinking of getting back into singing, I haven't done it in over 15 years.

any Martial art , learn web design, photoshop or...
.....Dating......it's difficult when you lack the funds or can't find a woman nerd. lol
this

Not really a hobby per se, but I am going to work at a prairie dog rescue!

Not start, but I would love to get back into more fiction reading, and more illustration work.

This past couple of months I've been slacking in the art department, I can kick it up a notch.

In terms of like time killers, Warhammer 40K looked really fun to get into and I have a fully unpainted starter set just hanging around. Play a little more video games, as there are some greaaat games out now (I haven't even picked up a PS4 or Xbone)

Right now, I'm taking care of a 3 month old kitten, so he's a handful right now lmao.

If you're bored, and you don't own any pets, I reccomend a kitten if you're ready for the commitment. It's a great spirtual experience in terms of bonding and loving, and you also get to learn a lot about a great species of animal. Puppies too, but puppies require A LOT of attention. A kitten can hang around a couple of hours without you, but it's advised to be home a lot to watch the guy.

Because of him, my room is always clean (he lives in my room, it's a master bedroom so don't freak out lol), I always have to grab food and litter so it gets me out of the house. He gets rid of all the bugs in my room (on top of it being clean so he doesn't ruin anything lol) and he brings love and happiness into your life.

Oh boy. Ramble Palmer at it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"