The Dark Knight New Joker Picture In The LA Times

Does the camera movie in closer to him or pull back...

EDIT: my questions have a habit of being answered before i post them. I should probably refresh the page a few times before asking.. .

Moves very close, then pulls a bit back from the van racing EXACTLY into view, with The Joker hoping in it immediately.

The pic reminds my of a Spider-man 2 poster actually.

Anyway this is a really cool pic which makes me even more hyped for the prologue! :yay:

Reminds me a bit of one of the shots from the Sweeney Todd trailer.
o0 :huh:

Epic? Try and be more descriptive. I could see a slow tracking shot from behind, creating a sort of ominous feeling. Was it like that at all?
Answered Below...
you're right on the money, its this slow tracking shot towards him, then the car screeches up. it's just...you know how there are those individual shots in films that are just absolutely mind-blowing? this is one of those.

Yeah, it's interesting that Heat was brought up by Nolan in that interview yesterday. Now that I think about it, a lot of what we've heard about this movie sort of reminds me of Heat. Especially the part about the Joker firing his machine gun randomly on the street.

its funny, the entire prologue had a Heat feel. i dont doubt that there were many screenings of the bank heist scene in Heat before they filmed this prologue. I can definitely see the influence nolan mentioned in interviews. i think that the dark knight will be the first "comic book" film to really escape that stigma. even begins in some circles is still denigrated as such.

Yeah, but Michael Mann didn't exactly create the tropes of bank heist films. I mean, Heat is great and all I guess, but he is drawing from a whole lot of material that cam before him.

I guess you guys have never seen "The Killing", Kubrick's first feature-length film?

johnnyc.jpg

i really dont know what it is about that shot, but it really is just burned into my mind...just from the prologue i can tell nolan has grown as a director considerably since begins (not to say the direction in begins was bad, mind you. this is just BETTER).

Yeah, but Michael Mann didn't exactly create the tropes of bank heist films. I mean, Heat is great and all I guess, but he is drawing from a whole lot of material that cam before him.

I guess you guys have never seen "The Killing", Kubrick's first feature-length film?

johnnyc.jpg
Nay, Nolan got the inspiration from Heat and Heat only. :oldrazz: :woot:

johnnyc.jpg

i have seen that film, and it makes perfect sense that it would be an influence considering nolan has mentioned kubrick as one of his favorite directors..and that mask looks familiar, in a way...in my opinion, though, the best bank "heist" scene of all time is from Rififi. though TDK's scene is pretty damned incredible.

Yeah, The Killing is awesome, nice catch!
To re-watch this weekend: BB; Heat; Killing...
EDIT: Rififi...(another great pic!)

Here we go. The very first glimpse we'll see of The Joker in the movie. :hoboj:

I love this shot. Simple, iconic. I can just imagine the slow zoom-in here, Wally Pfister is a master of that technique, as seen in "The Prestige".

That was my favorite shot of the whole thing. When everyone saw that mask we started to cheer

i have seen that film, and it makes perfect sense that it would be an influence considering nolan has mentioned kubrick as one of his favorite directors..and that mask looks familiar, in a way...in my opinion, though, the best bank "heist" scene of all time is from Rififi. though TDK's scene is pretty damned incredible.

But don't forget Melville! In terms of influence, the heist from "Un Flic" is up there (see: Reservoir Dogs)... And the jewelry heist from "Cercle Rouge" is sort of its own thing...

Oh well... I just didn't want this "Heat" thing to get out of hand (mostly cuz that movie strikes me as slightly silly)

I love this shot. Simple, iconic. I can just imagine the slow zoom-in here, Wally Pfister is a master of that technique, as seen in "The Prestige".

Exactly that, and the music toned down a lot when that shot came on (its after the thugs zipline from the building) so imagine... ****ing intense. after that he puts on the mask as soon as the van gets to him, and seems like he holds it there until he can tie it on

with each nolan film, pfister is moving further up my list of favorite cinematographers...i think he's in the top 5, at least.

Yeah, The Killing is awesome, nice catch!
To re-watch this weekend: BB; Heat; Killing...
EDIT: Rififi...(another great pic!)

And if you are a complete shut-in, throw in Cercle Rouge for good measure

But don't forget Melville! In terms of influence, the heist from "Un Flic" is up there (see: Reservoir Dogs)... And the jewelry heist from "Cercle Rouge" is sort of its own thing...

Oh well... I just didn't want this "Heat" thing to get out of hand (mostly cuz that movie strikes me as slightly silly)

haha...tracing the history of the heist scene could lead through so many films...i think heat is good but has the problem that all mann films have- it takes itself waaaay too seriously and thinks its about more than it really is. but it's hard to beat the street shootout scene.

Hmmm, the hair doesn't look at all green from the back. Does he only have the front green or is it just a trick of the lighting in that pic?

To be honest Joker I have no idea. I thought it was brown until the big reveal where it was green. I have to see it again.

That was my favorite shot of the whole thing. When everyone saw that mask we started to cheer

I was at the LA showing as well and was seriously hoping they would be nice and show it again...it was amazing.

"what doesn't kill you...only makes you...stranger..."

Hmmm, the hair doesn't look at all green from the back. Does he only have the front green or is it just a trick of the lighting in that pic?

Apparently, his hair just.....turns green before he takes the mask off. A bit of movie magic. :cwink:

And if you are a complete shut-in, throw in Cercle Rouge for good measure

Actually caught that 2 years ago at a theater. BUT I'm sorely lacking in other Melvilles, so yeah, plenty of stuff to catch up on.

Umm.. I just saw the Prestige last night. Although I have a bit of a fever and pilled-up, I noticed that there was a whole lot of hand-held camera work in that film. Not so much with the long, stately tracking shots.

Don't get me wrong, I like all that I've seen of his work as well... I just don't know what people mean by "master of the slow zoom"! Any examples? (Apart from the opening shot of the Prologue, which sounds brilliant).

To be honest Joker I have no idea. I thought it was brown until the big reveal where it was green. I have to see it again.

How wierd. Well, Ledger said there is a few surprises to him....

I just got chills all over again from seeing that picture. I might just have to make it my new desktop wallpaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"