New Karate Kid coming | Ralph Macchio/Jackie Chan to star

Huh. So is Cobra Kai not getting a sixth season then or...? I'm confused as to when this will take place in the timeline.

Sony Sets ‘Karate Kid’ Movie for Summer 2024, Pushes Back ‘Kraven’ and ‘Madame Web’

I hope so, it wouldn’t make sense otherwise.

The Karate Kid franchise is getting new life in theaters. Sony’s Columbia Pictures has set a date for a Karate Kid film slated to open June 7, 2024. No filmmakers or other details were revealed, but it is described as “the return to the original Karate Kid franchise.”

I'm inclined to believe this is one of two things:

1. A Cobra Kai movie to act as a finale instead of a final season on Netflix if the creators figured they didn't need as much time to wrap up the story

2. A remake that has nothing to do with the Daniel LaRusso Karate Kid saga because Sony is dumb

Given the way the show is going, if there's a Cobra Kai movie on top of another season it might feel like overkill so I don't think they'd go that route.

The description said it would be a return to the original franchise, so on principle I'd assume it would at least take place in the same universe. As for the remake idea... been there done that, but it would 100% be a Sony move. An even more perplexing one if the show is still going by then.

Given how season 5 of Cobra Kai ended, a movie to wrap things up especially with the Sekai Taikai thing wouldn't be a bad idea imo. They wouldn't have to greenlight a season 6, but it's too early to tell what's actually happening.

Actually, now that I think about it, I’m starting to think we’ll get Cobra Kai S6, since the showrunners talk about the endgame and plans for the show if it is renewed. Plus, it’s doing really well so far on Netflix, which is no surprise!

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sony did this without telling the creative team of Cobra Kai, though.

I’ll go with another story set in the KK/CK world, but this would be a great way to end the series.

Going to be the greatest performance since Mickey Rooney playing an asian man in Breakfast At Tiffany's. :hehe: :o

Mark Wahlberg as Kreese
Bad Bunny as Johnny Lawrence

Box office gold.

I think the show will get a sixth season and this movie will have nothing to do with it. Or, at the very least, there'll be something at the end of season six to set the movie up but it won't have anything to do with the core cast

Yeah I think if this was going to be a continuation of the show, they would call it Cobra Kai. My guess is, it’s a loose remake of the original, just set in the same world. Same basic idea, just with new characters and some references to the old ones.

If this new film is supposed to be a complete reboot, it wouldn’t make very much sense, considering the popularity of the ongoing Netflix series and how loved those characters and that universe is.

If it’s supposed to be a continuation of the original film series, I don’t see how they can go forward without completely retconning everything that happened in the Cobra Kai series. Unless, of course, they followed different or new characters but it still takes place in the same world. Also, It it says that it’s “the return of the original Karate Kid franchise”, so I presume it’s the same universe as the original film series. But, with Sony, you never really know.

Either way, this time around, just to change things up, would be kind of cool to have a female master, and possibly a female protagonist. Kind of an obvious choice, but I think Michelle Yeoh would kick all kinds of a** in a role like that, especially after seeing how much gravitas and dramatic heft she brought to something like EEAAO.

Also, having an Asian director for this would also be a great way to set itself apart from the last two versions and help it be more authentic.

Last edited:
If this new film is supposed to be a complete reboot, it wouldn’t make very much sense, considering the popularity of the ongoing Netflix series and how loved those characters and that universe is.

If it’s supposed to be a continuation of the original film series, I don’t see how they can go forward without completely retconning everything that happened in the Cobra Kai series. Unless, of course, they followed different or new characters but it still takes place in the same world. Also, It it says that it’s “the return of the original Karate Kid franchise”, so I presume it’s the same universe as the original film series. But, with Sony, you never really know.

Either way, this time around, just to change things up, would be kind of cool to have a female master, and possibly a female protagonist. Kind of an obvious choice, but I think Michelle Yeoh would kick all kinds of a** in a role like that, especially after seeing how much gravitas and dramatic heft she brought to something like EEAAO.
That would be cool.

My "theory" right now is that the end of season 6 sets something up for Hilary Swank and the film is about her as a sensei

That would be cool.

My "theory" right now is that the end of season 6 sets something up for Hilary Swank and the film is about her as a sensei

I would be down with that. It would also be with a character that is from the same universe but doesn’t have a lot of ties to the current series, so you wouldn’t have to worry about retconning a bunch of stuff.

The only issue they’d probably have to tread very carefully on is trying not to pull the whole cultural appropriation angle with a white person teaching eastern martial arts. But, there is probably a way that it can be done right.

Also, if they’re going to be continuing trends with the film titles, “The New Karate Kid” would be a great choice.

Last edited:
CONFIRMED: Sony Moving Ahead With a New 'Karate Kid' Movie - Murphy's Multiverse

While no further details were made available, it’s expected that the kid will serve as the teacher in this new installment.

From what we could gather, the new film will center on a teenage boy named Li. The young student is said to be small for his age, but tough, smart and scrappy. Li is said to be a skilled fighter and a student in Beijing who finds his life uprooted after his mother moves them to Brooklyn, New York. After meeting Mia, a student from his high school, and her father, Victor, at a local pizza restaurant, he’ll soon find his life has changed yet again – for the better.

Take it with some salt.

I would be down with that. It would also be with a character that is from the same universe but doesn’t have a lot of ties to the current series, so you wouldn’t have to worry about retconning a bunch of stuff.

The only issue they’d probably have to tread very carefully on is trying not to pull the whole cultural appropriation angle with a white person teaching eastern martial arts. But, there is probably a way that it can be done right.

Also, if they’re going to be continuing trends with the film titles, “The New Karate Kid” would be a great choice.
Yep, exactly. It would make a lot of sense, but I doubt that's the direction they'll go in

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Moving Ahead with New 'Karate Kid' Film - Murphy's Multiverse

We here at Murphy’s Multiverse can exclusively reveal that Sony is looking to cast a teen lead for a new Karate Kid film. Sony is looking for a 17-year-old male, Chinese actor who speaks both Mandarin and English. The character is referred to as Li and is said to be small for his age, but tough, smart and scrappy. He is said to be a skilled fighter and a student in Beijing who finds his life uprooted after his mother moves them to Brooklyn, New York.

Li is said to be struggling with a past tragedy, which drives a wedge between him and his doctor mom, who has managed to handle the same tragedy in her own way. After Li meets Mia, a student from his high school, and her father, Victor, at a local pizza restaurant, he’ll soon find his life has changed yet again – for the better. Li soon finds himself training Victor in the art of Kung Fu, despite his mother’s stance against violence and fighting, and ultimately back in the ring himself.

The film does not yet have a director attached, but Rob Lieber (Peter Rabbit) is attached to pen the script. A start date has also yet to be revealed for the film’s production.

So, it’s like a reverse of the 2010 film, with the main character being a Chinese immigrant moving to America, and is also sort of the mentor figure with the tragic backstory. That’s actually kind of an interesting angle and could be really cool if done well.

With the recent success of some thing like Shang-Chi and more films/series revolving around young Asian leads, namely Chinese, I am not really surprised that they are going this route.

I don’t actually mind the plotline, but why couldn’t the teenager just come from Japan and keep everything else in that synopsis. At least, then you could actually have a reason to call it Karate Kid and not just for marketing, (2010).

Not that it bothers me, just curious.

I don’t actually mind the plotline, but why couldn’t the teenager just come from Japan and keep everything else in that synopsis. At least, then you could actually have a reason to call it Karate Kid and not just for marketing, (2010).

Not that it bothers me, just curious.
Because of the Smith's ownership of the franchise and Mr. Han of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"