Superman Returns New Lex Article at IGN.com

Metropolis_Man said:
Agreed, they bascially did throw Braniac and Bizarro in there. And I'd say that the junkyard scene is definately one of the top moments in all four movies for me. And Lex was supposed to be there.

Did they ever explained why they didn't go ahead with Brainaic and Bizarro?
I remembered in the interview with one of the Salkinds, he said that they had the rights and they WERE in early drafts. What happened?

Anyway, Spacey will rule as Lex!

spacey will be the best villain.

singer again done it....................he made one of the best comic book movies.now if only there would be a trailer hehehheheheheheheheh :)

p.s. you can not blame the guys who were afraid that the movvie will be campy. they showed in the blogs like he will wear wigs. but this article says that they changed some things about lex.

10 to 1 says...

Superman Returns > All Four Original Superman Movies...

Whack Arnolds said:
10 to 1 says...

You lost me.

Whack Arnolds said:
10 to 1 says...

Disagree to a certain extent.

Superman 3 & 4, most likely.

Superman 2, possible, but doubtful.

Superman 1, very unlikely.

Metropolis_Man said:
YES!! I like your words. I didn't even think of Lex's (
disguises
) as being the good public image. I was thinking of different looks and costumes and what not. Man, can't wait to see it.

:D Thank you kindly...

Of course this will blow parts 3 and 4 out of the water, however STM doubt it, part II could be just as good if not a little better. Just depends if that kid becomes Son of Kal El which we all know is going to happen.

Greater than. I think I am blonde.

SR may be greater than all of the previous films simply because of how dated they've become. As this (very good) article itself mentioned, the old movies' Luthor was comedic and silly, and most of the characters in those films were the same way. So if SR presents everyone in a more serious, updated tone, it will be inherently better, I think.

With that said, if STM was made today (or 3 years ago since SR would be its sequel:o), it would probably be the better movie.

CConn said:
SR may be greater than all of the previous films simply because of how dated they've become. As this (very good) article itself mentioned, the old movies' Luthor was comedic and silly, and most of the characters in those films were the same way. So if SR presents everyone in a more serious, updated tone, it will be inherently better, I think.

With that said, if STM was made today (or 3 years ago since SR would be its sequel:o), it would probably be the better movie.

It is a bit dated in some ways, but there is a timeless quality to it.

How are the the Met's enjoying Pedro.

Showtime029 said:
It is a bit dated in some ways, but there is a timeless quality to it.

How are the the Met's enjoying Pedro.
I don't know from first hand experience (I'm not in the NY area), but they love him, and I certainly do. Apparently Shea is the place to be when he pitches.

CConn said:
I don't know from first hand experience (I'm not in the NY area), but they love him, and I certainly do. Apparently Shea is the place to be when he pitches.

I miss him alot, I watched almost every game that he pitched and had the pleasure of seeing him pitch in person, several times.

Whack Arnolds said:
The scene is just too corny. I mean, chick just meets him, and isn't just infactuated or intrigued with him...but she's saying she loves him. And everything about the scene seems so phony... it just doesn't seem genuine. But it tries to make it seem truly genuine, and it feels awkward to watch. Haha, get what I mean?

Great Scott,man, did you not watch the film at all!

Lois in sheer terror struggles for dear life in a crashed helicopter which is precariously suspended from the top of a tall building. Her desperate cries for help are unanswered as she helplessly plummets to certain death. From nowhere she is impossibly rescued by a flying man, who as he carries her in his arm back to the safety of the rooftop also catches the descending copter wreckage and effortlessly brings both her, the copter and it's pilot to the roof, and you describe that as "just meets him".

You're a hard man to impress.

Superman4ever said:
I thought this was so cool!

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/701/701987p1.html

Superman Returns: The New Lex Luthor
Let us introduce you.
by Steve Head
April 18, 2006 -

He's one of the all-time, quintessential arch enemies. He's maniacally determined. He has a quick mind, a sly sense of humor, an eye for style (albeit outlandish), and no conscience. As nemesis extraordinaire in Superman Returns, Lex Luthor will implement a series of threats that reach beyond Metropolis. Beyond America. And if it all goes to plan: kill Superman. Sounds like the perfect role for Kevin Spacey. It's "the kind of character that's more fun for him," says director Bryan Singer. "Each thing he's doing is so funny, or so strange, or sinister, that it's just fun and for him. It's a joy."

For this new incarnation of Lex Luthor, Spacey was the first choice, right from the start. "We'd always written that role with him in mind," says Singer. "He's an old friend and this is a great opportunity for all the obvious reasons."

Spacey, whose prior collaboration with Singer was his Oscar-winning performance in The Usual Suspects, was almost unable to commit to Superman Returns due to a scheduling conflict. The filmmakers worked overtime, reworking the shooting schedule to adhere to Spacey's six week window of opportunity. "Bryan would prefer to shoot in continuity, but and we didn't have that luxury," says producer Chris Lee. The producers also tried to shift the shooting schedule for Hugh Laurie, who was originally cast as Perry White, but it didn't work. For Spacey, however, they were fortunate. "We made it work. And I think he'll be the definitive Lex."

In fact, when Spacey arrived in Sydney, Australia, they started filming him, proto. "He'd just gotten off the plane and everything," says Singer. "He was a total trooper about it.

As Lex, Singer says Spacey is "Very thoughtful about it" and cares a lot about creating his own version of the character. Kate Bosworth, who stars as Lois Lane, and who co-starred with Spacey in Beyond the Sea, says his philosophy about playing a character that's been played by other actors is: "You should just know the heart and soul of the character. You take it and make it your own and that's what the defines the character now. It's what you do now."

For Lex, style, of course, is key. He has his "pimp" look, says production designer Guy Dyas. He has his "safari/hunting" look, says costume designer Louise Mingenbach. However, what Spacey made his own was Lex's hairstyle, or lack thereof. No curly wig, a-la Gene Hackman. Spacey went for the chrome dome. "He shaved it off," says Singer. "Which was, I'll tell you, very strange."

"He never wears that curly wig," says Dyas. The original script had a line that referred to a curly wig. "Bryan was concerned that if we went too comical with Lex it would take away all of the fear of his character. The idea that he was going to be sort of a clown dressed up in a curly wig, and do the whole campy Gene Hackman thing, didn't work for Bryan at all. [Spacey's decision to go bald was] a great decision. He's a very scary individual. He plays the role so beautifully, it's incredible. He's chilling on screen."

The first time Singer saw Spacey as Lex Luthor, "I completely didn't recognize him. I was walking towards my trailer in the park, and I'm looking this guy staring at me standing by a tree. I thought he was a crewmember, someone I'd never seen before. I keep walking and he's staring me at me all the way and I'm like, 'AHHH!' It was him!"

Now, you might ask, what sort of malevolence is Lex devising to bring down Superman?
Without delving into spoiler material, one thing we can tell you is: Lex sort of… kind of... perhaps maybe wants a piece of that valuable Kryptonian crystal he's been hearing about. To that end, he puts together a team. Kal Penn, (who plays Lex's go-to computer guy, Stanford) will only say, there's "five of them. It's sort of a unit. There's inner workings here and there, but I won't say." However, to keep you on your toes, Parker Posey (who plays Lex's gal-pal Killy) says, Lex is "someone who can go under disguise and be anyone he wants to be."

Lex will incite trouble, and lots of it. "There will be no lack of intensity," says Singer."It'll probably be PG 13. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all in the level of intensity."

Fantastic. I am so ready to see this version of Lex....

afan said:
Great Scott,man, did you not watch the film at all!

Lois in sheer terror struggles for dear life in a crashed helicopter which is precariously suspended from the top of a tall building. Her desperate cries for help are unanswered as she helplessly plummets to certain death. From nowhere she is impossibly rescued by a flying man, who as he carries her in his arm back to the safety of the rooftop also catches the descending copter wreckage and effortlessly brings both her, the copter and it's pilot to the roof, and you describe that as "just meets him".

You're hard man to impress.

LMAO...awesome post! :D :up:

Spacey is one of my favorite actors (also: Cage, Hanks, Crow, Carrey and etc).

So I have no doubt his Lex will be great.

Thank god Singer didn't cast Billy "medicore in every single way in every single film I've been in" Zane.

(the alternate name was Billy "the best thing you can say about my acting is that it doesn't suck" Zane)

metr0man said:
Thank god Singer didn't cast Billy "medicore in every single way in every single film I've been in" Zane.

(the alternate name was Billy "the best thing you can say about my acting is that it doesn't suck" Zane)

He was going to but he has obligations for Titanic 2 and a background character in Back to the Future 4: Fully Loaded

SolidSnakeMGS said:
Superman 2, possible, but doubtful. Superman 1, very unlikely.

Oh come ON, Returns is going to blow both those films out of the water - Going back to the article, it seems we're getting a Lex that is actually...threatening!

Superman 1 was about 2 steps from being a fullblown comedy. Superman II was great super hero vs Super Villains fight scenes...but lets face it, folks - the villains were dressed like 13 year old ice skaters here.

Returns will be the Supes movie we've all wanted. Singer will make us proud.

I want only 3 things:
1. SR to be one of the greatest movies 2006
2. SR to be greater than STM
3. SR to make more than $300m domesticly and $700m in worldwide.

^^3 simple things!!

But i have faith it will do more than this...

Cinemaman said:
I want only 3 things:
1. SR to be one of the greatest movies 2006
2. SR to be greater than STM
3. SR to make more than $300m domesticly and $700m in worldwide.
you know what i want? that the movie is good. i want to like the movie. i hope that i will like the movie. i dont care if it makes a lot of money. i dont care what other people think. it only matters what i think.

and yes this movie will get enough money for a sequel. it is lighter than batman. so it is only logical. the only way it would not get teh money back is if the movie is campy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"