BvS New Positivity Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!) - Part 1

Anyone else praise the film for the LACK of Superman smiling? (not sure why that's something people want so much of just because prior versions of the character do). He does smile when he saves the kid at DotD, but besides that why would he? You think he should smile over an overturned ship (likely full of people) or an exploding rocket?

The world is sad and that is what this film gave us in a lot of places. I love that. He'll become more of the typical Superman later, but for as much as people want character development, they seem to want it in the second Superman movie 100%.

*raises hand*

Maybe I'm too serious a person, because people often tell me to "smile" which I find infuriating beyond belief. Like, I'll smile when I have reason to, not just because

Maybe thats why I like these movies so much, because I'm such a serious person. lol

It is funny how people complain about the lack of Superman smiling and seemingly forget about all the other major Superman defining traits the movie got right. His core relationship with Lois, Superman going out his way to save people DotD etc Superman turning up at the Capitol, Superman at the face of death caring more for his mother than himself, and his sacrifice against DOOMSDAY twice!! But since he isn't free smiling, Snyder doesn't get Superman!

It is funny how people complain about the lack of Superman smiling and seemingly forget about all the other major Superman defining traits the movie got right. His core relationship with Lois, Superman going out his way to save people DotD etc Superman turning up at the Capitol, Superman at the face of death caring more for his mother than himself, and his sacrifice against DOOMSDAY twice!! But since he isn't free smiling, Snyder doesn't get Superman!

Yeah, I don't get it

Also loved the use of practical physics when Supes saves Lois after Lex throws her off the top of Lexcorp. Meets her speed as she's falling then slowly pulls her up.

The purist has the perception that Superman is higly intelligent / same to batman, shouldn't be fooled easily by a kid aka Lex. They just didn't give the story a damn.
N superman should have saved everyone n figured out everything, invincible physically n mentally. A god in short. The very same reasons why people found superman was boring n limited any interesting story.

Exactly, he did things throughout the movie that Superman does, saving people, putting himself on the line, etc. Yet because he didn't smile people ask how people can accept this version of Superman.

Superman is more than a smile. And as I have said numerous times, some of the best Superman stories are the ones where he is down and that are a bit darker. Sacrifice, For Tomorrow and Camelot Falls are classic examples.

At the end of both MoS and BvS, Superman is willing to risk his own life and sacrifice himself in order to save the whole damn world. But you know, he's just a selfish, brooding jerk because he never smiles. At least that's what I get from others sometimes.

I have no issue with the lack of a grinning Superman. He had almost no reason to with every situation he was faced with in BvS.

jLeo5Ia.jpg

Epicness.

I still grin when I think about how young Bruce's silhouette becomes a bat symbol in his dream sequence.

I still grin when I think about how young Bruce's silhouette becomes a bat symbol in his dream sequence.

loved that! love Bruce's voiceover in that scene as well

"In the dream they always brought me to the light...It was a beautiful lie"
that entire monologue was a fantastic piece of writing

And the dream where the bat monster emerged n consume bruce... to reinforce how his mother death has made he a monster himself... All the dialogues were very good.

Yep agree with you all, Superman was my interest in this but they did a great job with Batman as well.

I have always loved their animation films. And Superman isn't exactly "brightness and happiness" in their recent animated films.

For the Nth time in this thread: This is NOT a place to come and complain about people not liking or not "getting" this movie. It is not for discussing other posters at all. It is for discussing what you liked about the film. Period. As it says in the title of the thread, READ THE FIRST POST!

I will say I don't know if it was that I had listened to the soundtrack the week before and loved beautiful lie, or just the fact that after waiting and getting hyped up for it I was finally watching, but on my first viewing of those opening credits man, when her hand drops with the rolling pearl, I almost lost it.

Great comparison to King Arthur's story!

Just saw it for the first time today (was waiting for my girlfriend to be available and feel like going). I thought it was pretty great, all the criticisms I'd seen had really lowered my expectations, I thought "It's gotta be bad if so many people are reacting like this." But I honestly didn't see what others were seeing, thought it was a great movie, loved Affleck as Bruce, and even enjoyed Eisenburg.

Kind of reminded me of the new Daniel Craig Bond films, in a way. I enjoyed all the different story threads, like Bruce and Diana going after the Lexcorp information.

My biggest gripe: after finally seeing it, I do feel like the trailers and sneak peeks showed way too much. There were just too many scenes where I already knew what was going to happen or be said, that would have been more impactful if I went in completely blind. My own fault, I suppose.

Speaking of Superman doing Superman things, who else loved it when Clark saw the Day Of The Dead catastrophe on the television, and he turns and grabs his tie as he rushes off. Totally Superman.

personally I really enjoyed this movie. yes I do have my gripes, mainly with Eisenberg as Luthor but I really did enjoy it. The soundtrack was epic for me. Zimmer is going out on a high note for Superhero movies.

Also, I may be in the minority here but I really do like Snyder's almost video game-ish visual style. It fits well. The same way the neon and colors fit the Amazing Spider-Man films (say what you will about writing but the visuals were great in that). I like my comic movies to have some of that cgi goodness in them. Not everything has to be ultra realistic and this fit the bill!

On a sidennote, I want the Batplane

I have always loved their animation films. And Superman isn't exactly "brightness and happiness" in their recent animated films.

Reminded me a lot of the old 1940's Fleischer Cartoons, with the darker color scheme and a lot of the action and Lois in distress situations, Lex in his mad scientist white coat, etc. I grew up on those cartoons, and the movie really bought me back to those in my mind, as well as Batman The Animated Series, I think I was 6 years old when that show premiered, and visually, BvS took me back to that era of my life. Affleck is the Bruce/Batman from B:TAS in my opinion, and I loved the little Phantasm reference.

Also, I really enjoyed the whole global political aspect, showing the effect Superman has globally, and all the national news clips using actual anchors and hosts, made it feel really realistic

^ the whole docks sequences with the Batmobile chase and then later on the Martha rescue was pure B:TAS-esque goodness :drl:

Same with the Superman senate scene -- it all felt very authentic to me, I can't explain it.

Hi everyone, I just want to say that I love how this thread exists and that I should have come back to SHH earlier.

I love how you guys are comparing these characters with Timm’s animated world’s characters. I got that as well. I can’t say enough about how much I love the castings of Supes, Bats and WW. Also the Batmobile and the Batcave were amazing. The way the Batmobile enters the Batcave was just really cool. It’s funny how Snyder didn’t make a big deal of it where the ’89 and Begins did. I guess that all comes down to the fact that BVS Bats is a veteran and there’s no time to worry about these sorts of things.

The fight scenes were amazing and there so many times while watching I got chills. Be it when the Capital building exploded or when Lex was in the Kryptonian ship. Or even when Bruce and Alfred were talking about how the world had completely changed now that the they all live a world where a “God” walks amongst them.

I felt that this version of Luthor was much different not just in look but that his inferiority complex had broken his mind somewhat. Hence his speech at his party. A genius level mind but due to appearance of a “God” he realises how insignificant Earthlings now seem to be and his genius level mind and how he was living so large for years means nothing anymore. Everything that makes him huge is inconsequential.

I also really liked that Batman had changed also, not just because of the alien attack but also due to the people he has lost along the way. When Supes sacrifices himself, Batman changes his ways of being too brutal by not branding Luthor. It was all a big journey for all the characters.

All of the above has probably already been discussed, but it’s great to come into this thread as I said above.

Yeah but a lot of these big budget movies are like 3.5 4 hours long on the first cut.
Yes, I get that. I think, 3-hour version is the one, that had it's fat trimmed, but retained the necessary stuff. And the theatrical cut - butchered version. I totally feel Clark suffered the most in the theatrical cut.

Yes, I get that. I think, 3-hour version is the one, that had it's fat trimmed, but retained the necessary stuff. And the theatrical cut - butchered version. I totally feel Clark suffered the most in the theatrical cut.

Absolutely, I want to see more Clark than anything in the EC

Yeah but a lot of these big budget movies are like 3.5 4 hours long on the first cut.

Watchmen's run time was -

Theatrical : 162 min.

Director's Cut : 186 min.

Ultimate Cut : 215 min.

So, it seems that Snyder really has a tendency to go over the optimum run-time (which is, 2 hours 30 min. as is needed to maximize the number of screenings per day per theater.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"