New Star Wars film Opening on the day as Dragon Ball. Will it effect it Negatively ?

Now a days an action blockbuster type movie can do well anytime (Potter in November, Cloverfield in January, 300/V for Vendetta in March) that, if they pushed it back, it wouldn't necessarily effect it negatively.

Fox knows the market for Dragonball, and it's definitely not 40 year old single woman. If they honestly thought this would attract that kind of crowd, I would suggest they seek help.

No, this film is aimed towards a specific audience. Males aged 9-34. If they get other types of people, that's great, but they are definitely aiming towards that kind of crowd.

You still have to remember about 40 year old Women who have kids within the ages of 6-12. These kids can't get into a PG-13 film ( Dragon Ball will most likely be a PG-13 rated film.) so I'm sure many mothers are going to want to take their kids to watch This Star Wars Animated film instead of some " loud action film full of ninjas demons and martial arts". Plus CGI animated films do rather well domestically. Just look at Happy Feet, Toy Story, The Incredibles etc.. The list goes on.

I don't know, I can see kids liking Dragonball more than Starwars.

Fox knows the market for Dragonball, and it's definitely not 40 year old single woman. If they honestly thought this would attract that kind of crowd, I would suggest they seek help.

No, this film is aimed towards a specific audience. Males aged 9-34. If they get other types of people, that's great, but they are definitely aiming towards that kind of crowd.
You seem to be missing the point.

You have said that you don't think that the Star Wars film will be any competition to DragonBall. If DragonBall is aimed at males 9-34....and Star Wars is aimed at Males and Females aged 7-75....which film do you think more people will see?

Seeing as this is FOX were talking about. Do you think it would be financially smart move to reschedule the film around November-December range?
hmmmm...maybe not November/December. i was thinking more September/early October. that always seems to be a time when there are no action flicks coming out. i know the last few years, after the summer, i've stayed away from the theater until November/December. i think Fox should take advantage of that dry period after the summer when there seem to be no action flicks being released.

You have said that you don't think that the Star Wars film will be any competition to DragonBall. If DragonBall is aimed at males 9-34....and Star Wars is aimed at Males and Females aged 7-75....which film do you think more people will see?
Does it matter which film more people go see, as long as Dragonball does decently? All they need is enough to have motivation to make a sequel.

hmmmm...maybe not November/December. i was thinking more September/early October. that always seems to be a time when there are no action flicks coming out. i know the last few years, after the summer, i've stayed away from the theater until November/December. i think Fox should take advantage of that dry period after the summer when there seem to be no action flicks being released.

Even though I would like a fall release (more time to fx it and do reshoots) that could have some drawbacks. People might be cash strapped from summer vacations, back to school crap, etc. and some people could be exhausted from being bombarded with blockbuster movies and marketing.

Yeah Early October sounds good.

Does it matter which film more people go see, as long as Dragonball does decently? All they need is enough to have motivation to make a sequel.

Do you even read your own posts?

The people in this thread were debating, whether or not if Star Wars, opening on the same day as DragonBallZ, would effect the attendance of DragonBallZ.

You posted
JAPPO said:
Frankly, the animation looks like crap. If the story is just as equally bad, I can't imagine it affecting anything.
In that post...you say you don't think that the Star Wars film will effect the Dragon one....and I gave a reason for why I believe that more people will attend the Star Wars film....thus effecting the attendance of DragonBall.

At this time I would recommend fox to move dragonball to President day weekend or early march of 2009.

November has too many big movies and december has pretty big movies too and there are rumors that hulk might move there so ya this year is pretty much booked.

Releasing in september will hurt this film domestically a lot because everyone will be in school and historically the month of september and october hasn't produced any huge hits.

Do you even read your own posts?

The people in this thread were debating, whether or not if Star Wars, opening on the same day as DragonBallZ, would effect the attendance of DragonBallZ.
I really don't think so, but even if it does I still think Dragonball will make enough money. And yeah I read my posts but it's hard to say at this point without even a trailer... if the trailer sucks, then yes dragonball is in trouble.

You posted In that post...you say you don't think that the Star Wars film will effect the Dragon one....and I gave a reason for why I believe that more people will attend the Star Wars film....thus effecting the attendance of DragonBall.
It's possible, it really depends on the marketing. And, I bet Dragonball has a bigger marketing budget (and hey, FOX makes good trailers.)

ill tell you this.i HATE star wars and i can admit this will be a big problem for any movie really going head to head.

Depends. I think this may be in limited release. In which case it won't be that much of a concern. If not then I think this is a great opportunity for Fox to push the release date back a few months.

I think both movies will do big at the box office, but I do think Dragon Ball will come on top. Why? I feel Dragon Ball has more fans than Star Wars but will have to see.

I still think DB could hold its own against a Star Wars animated film

The correct answer (because, in this case - there is one) is YES it will hurt Dragonball.

No, the sucess of DB depends of its own, Starwars will steal some public if they open the same day, but it wont have any negative effect on DB.

And in many cases is the child who decide over the parents what movie they want to see, and the DB movie is targeted to teenagers 17, 18 and + (20-30), animated clone wars is aim to children and teenagers in 14, 15, i think guys in middle 20 will go to DB instead of SW cartoon if they have the option, just because that is what i would do if i have to decide between a live movie and a animated film

The "Movie" is just the first 3 episodes of the new CG series. It "might" not be released widely (as in not 3000-4000 theaters like ROTS). Then again, it might be. Depending on how its released Fox will probably make a move. If they do a move, they will probably just push back the release of "Dragonball" to a few days before, or maybe a full week before. They did it with Live Free or Die Hard, thx to Transformers taking up July 4th. So, basically, the "Clone Wars" movie will likely not affect Dragonball's opening box office days.

There are girls who like DB too.... Out of my friends, at least three of them do. My best friend even has a Vegeta sweatshirt :huh:

However, in all honesty, I think it's obvious that Star Wars has a way bigger fanbase then DB. However, if Fox is doing them both, it leads me to think that they'll probably push back one of the dates, because that would be the most logical path. (I'd think, at least) Because why not have TWO 'Opening Weekends' Instead of one where your movies are competing against one another and thus one will probably lose out on some money that it could have made on it's own weekend....

Also, It seriously depends on how DB's trailer/ marketing goes.

It could very well cause some trouble with the attendance for DB, but we all know the loyal DB fan base will be there. But I am a big fan of Star Wars and I have to say it looks very good, but I will see DB first unless by some chance it looks horrible.

It doesn't matter if even a great many of die hard Star Wars fan decide not to go see it.....a great deal of the general public will. It will have the Star Wars name. It will PG or PG-13. It will be animated. Parents will not only have no worries what so ever about taking their kids to see it....they will be happy too. The Star Wars movies have all been blockbusters not because "fanboys" have an undying love for them (many spend all of their time complaining about them and Lucas)....they were blockbusters because the general public loved them too.

Here's an example. A friend of ours is a single woman in her 40's. She hates movies with fighting and martial arts. She was at our house one time when my son was watching Dragonball on TV....she rolled her eyes and said (without him being able to hear it)..."I can't believe the stuff they make for kids these days." ...................The point of this? She has seen all of the Star Wars films dozens of times.

:wow: Your kid's into DB?

*High Five!*

Way better than doc Savage! :oldrazz:

Seriously though I have to side with those saying DB stands a chance to beat the star wars cartoon. It's not an official star wars movie, just a spinoff cartoon. If we were talking about Episodes 7, 8, 9 this'd be a no brainer but a cartoon version? Based on the infamous new trilogy?

If the dragonball trailer's decent I'm sure it'll kill anything that comes near it without mercy.

You gotta remember this is Fox for goodness sake, they control the media! (ign, rotten tomatoes, all of fox's movie studios and tv stations, and newspapers.)

and it's ironic that we're discussing a movie based on a cartoon going up against a cartoon based on a live action movie.

George Lucas you loco ****e!

I'll be in line for DB, thank you very much. Let's be realistic--its Star Wars!!!

But then again, Spider-Man beat out AOTC, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"