Stand-Alone Movies New Star Wars Trilogy from Rian Johnson

Discussion in 'Stand-Alone Movies' started by DarthSkywalker, Nov 9, 2017.

1. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P)

[YT]RSBEm1oNLT4[/YT]

http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-j...last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy

2. Boom I got nothin'

I'm dead.

3. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Absolutely bonkers.

4. Lord All Mighty

I wonder if this is still happening. It would make sense to still give Rian Johnson another Star Wars film, but an entire trilogy sounds risky.

5. David H. We’re not owed anything.

Johnson has said he’ll direct the first movie and map out the story but likely won’t direct the follow-ups.

6. Harry Dresden Registered

7. Aximili86 Registered

How do you figure?

93% RT score, it's doing gangbusters business with the public. A little fan whineing isn't going to remotely shake their faith in the guy. Especially when there's equal fan praise as hate.

8. Lord All Mighty

I loved the film but keep in mind that we're in the first two weeks. This is when all the fans flock to see the film. We'll only realy know how much it clicked with general audiences once it gets clear how many legs it's box office has had in comparison with Force Awakens.

Even though youtube doesn't define how the entire GA thinks, it can get a close idea of what some are thinking. The fact that even someone who rarely talks about films like PewDiePie is complaining that the film was disappointing does make me slightly worried.

9. spiderman2 Registered

The movie don't fell like a 93 with how much fan complaining there is though. If I hadn't looked at the RT score and then looked after seeing all the fan complaining you would think its RT score was more like a 63 then a 93.

10. psylockolussus Merry Mutant

Its now 92% not 93%.

11. spiderman2 Registered

Right but 92 is still darn good and at this point its not going to drop more then like a 91 but fan reception is so much worse.

12. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

A large section of a relatively small group, can have a significant effect on ratings which are dependent on a very small section of a VERY large group.

I go to and have seen more movies than a the vast majority of people and have never scored a movie on RT as a viewer.

Bottom line is we know why the audience score is low and therefore we know it is not indicative of the general audience reception.

#12 InCali, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  13. spiderman2 Registered

Its not even RT fan reviews though. Its ever where I am seeing way more hate then I ever saw for TFA not just on this web site but also on social media, bluray.com forums etc. Its like a night and day difference.

14. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I'm really looking forward to hearing details of what these films will focus on.

15. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

People who frequent forums like this are a vocal minority.

16. spiderman2 Registered

Maybe but what about people on social media are they really the minority? There are a lot of people that have a facebook page and you are seeing way more hate on there then RO or TFA ever had.

17. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Does it really matter? The GA seemed to like it, and that is where the money is made.

18. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

19. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

This article is very click-baity. Doesn't offer any new details.

20. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

I was under the impression this would be theatrical.

21. TheDreamMaster The Night He Came Home...

So noticed there was no mention of this from the investor call, which was once being said to be the next SW film project in 2022, but now it seems to be Rogue Squadron in 2023.

22. GREEN =w= DAY Registered

Rather than just saying Johnson’s trilogy is no longer going to happen like they announced that they were not moving forward with Benioff & Weiss’s trilogy, Disney probably just decided to toss it quietly aside

23. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

I really think the RJ thing could go either way and anyone acting like it's set in stone one way or the other is speaking too soon. I think Disney has the wherewithal to know that there's no way they could announce it without kicking up all the controversy and inspiring fanboy ragefits. The timing isn't good for that, as they are still the process of earning goodwill back from the fanbase.

They also have the wherewithal to know that TLJ was also very beloved by some fans too. You can't say it was "just" a hated film, it inspired passionate response on all sides including a lot of people who really love it and keep it in the pop culture discourse regularly. I think with enough time passing and enough well-received Star Wars projects in the books, it could still happen. Kathleen Kennedy really loved working with him and admired his vision.

I won't lose sleep if it doesn't happen, as I'm happy to enjoy his originals and see where his career goes. I could understand why they'd cancel it. But I also would take it as a good sign if they allowed him a shot, because it would be a signal that they aren't *just* being reactionary with their decisions and are still trying to pursue what they feel are the best, original ideas.

And I mean....Star Wars fans are about to be absolutely SPOILED with content. There's going to be so much. It's unrealistic to think you're going to love it all, and there should be enough space to please different segments of the fanbase.

SwordOfMorning likes this.
  24. SwordOfMorning Returning some video tapes.

I don't think Johnson's trilogy is still happening, sadly, but it was interesting that when D&D dropped out trade magazines all heavily implied that Johnson's trilogy was still part of the plan. THR, I believe it was, more or less said the plan for the next decade revolved around D&D's trilogy and Johnson's. So it seems like it was still in the mix until relatively recently.

25. Fincher Coming Undone

If they'd dropped out of Rian's trilogy before Rise of Skywalker, that would have raised doubts in The Last Jedi fans about how RoS would be handled. Dropping out of two trilogies at once would also probably make them look directionless/weak to their investors.

I'm not going to say for a fact that the trilogy is cancelled, but them course-correcting after The Last Jedi and the lack of updates doesn't look good.