New troopers/vehicles/yadda yadda

Discussion in 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' started by Aximili86, May 27, 2018.

1. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

What did everyone think of all the new variants of stuff here?

Was really digging the Mimban WWI-front vibe. Seems like they've canonized the whole "Imperial Army" thing for the new era, too, being separate to the Stormtrooper Corp and only really existing in the earlier Imperial years before being phased out.

Loved all of that stuff. Along with the variants of all the other troopers on other planets, keeping to that Rogue One aesthetic but expanding on it.

Han's Corellia speeder is so ****ing boss, too, seems straight out of 1977.

2. Ozbridge

Ozbridge Registered

[​IMG]

^^^ Dryden Vos' yatch is the First Light; at first I thought it was Satine's Coronet in TCW.

3. DACrowe

DACrowe Registered

Personally I just wanted to say I enjoy how they imagined the Kessel Run, complete with a [blackout]Cthulu monster[/blackout].

But I most enjoyed Han's brief stint with the Empire including him going to a WWI mud planet. It wasn't visually the best realized, but having a mud ball with trenches is a nice little addition to the Star Wars canon. It might not be as visually interesting as Salt Hoth or Bahamas Planet in Rogue One, but it was a nice alternative to the CGI battles we've gotten so much of lately, and it was new. Something JJ Abrams wasn't able to do. :o

4. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Yeah. That sequence was pretty damn grim by SW standards too, even edged out Rogue One for intensity/immediacy.

Was nice seeing some classic OT aliens around the place in this too, frickin' loved the Rodian.

And PT references up the wazoo.

5. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

The Mimban battle sequence, for as brief as it was, felt more like a war movie than the entirety of Rogue One.

6. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Yeah. And I love what they did with Rogue One too. But you really felt that Western Front WWI hellhole mood with Mimban, fit so well with the "height of the Empire, the Rebels barely exist yet" timeline.

7. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Yeah, I liked that.

8. Grootster

Grootster Dancing Tree

The design work of this movie was definitely great. I liked the outfit Han was wearing in the Imperial army (was that the Mudtrooper outfit?) I also really liked the cargo hauler ship they used during the train heist, as well as the train itself.

So far both anthology films have had great design work with the outfits and ships. I really don't know why it's so hard for the sequel films to come up with good designs. Has there been one memorable new vehicle in those movies?

9. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

I thought the costume design for this film was excellent and they'd done a great job at getting the framework & world building to retro fit pre-Episode IV.

10. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

11. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight NCC-1701

Love Rey's Flying Magnum ice cream.

12. Grootster

Grootster Dancing Tree

@Aximili86

1. A box with engines
    2. An Imperial Shuttle without a head
    3. The most useless vehicle ever designed
    4. "Bigger Super Star Destroyer"
    5. Star Destroyer with guns underneath (although I'll admit this one was kind of cool)
    6. "BIGGER AT-AT THAT LOOKS LIKE A GORILLA!!!"
    7. Discount B-wings
    8. Okay, that's kind of cool-looking

I said memorable, new vehicle. A variation of an existing vehicle (Imperial Shuttle, Star Destroyer, etc), no matter how "cool", doesn't really count as a "new" vehicle.

Of this entire list, the only one that hits both marks for me is the Canto Bight speeder, and even that isn't half as new or cool as anything from the anthology movies. It kind of looks like a Phantom Menace hovercraft with Tie-Interceptor wings.

The Resistance Bombers and the "Bigger Gorilla AT-ATs" are laughably bad vehicles, in my opinion. The box-speeder boarders on laughable.

13. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

The speeder's new. The bomber's new. The destroyer's inverted, we've never seen a flying-wing design in SW before. The Crait skimmers aren't like anything we've seen. The "cop cars" are new. The rich-people open-deck recreational atmospheric ship is new.

By any stretch of the imagination.

Just...stop.

14. Grootster

Grootster Dancing Tree

I didn't say those ones weren't new, I just don't find them cool or inventive. I've already covered the bland box speeder and the horribly inadequate bombers (three of which were literally blown up by one damaged Tie Fighter by accident). The flying-wing shape for the destroyer is kind of neat, but other than that it's just a bigger Super Star Destroyer. The Crait Skimmers are basically just cheap versions of B wings in speeder form. Not really that original. Yeah, the cop speeders are kind of cool. I guess that recreational ship is new, it's only in there for like two seconds.

Some of these are mellowly cool, but they don't rival the ships in the anthology movies. Some of the anthology ships are very inventive, whereas most of these just look kind of bland at best. The coolest-looking ship in the sequel trilogy (in my opinion) is the Quadjumper, and that does nothing.

15. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Which is completely subjective. And also not the thread sub-section for it.

16. DACrowe

DACrowe Registered

I like both, but if that felt like a WWI scene, the entire end of Rogue One felt like a WWII battle where everyone dies. In a good way. ;)

17. Aximili86

Aximili86 Registered

Yep. R1 was full-on Pacific Theater WWII, even some of the Imperial uniforms had a bit of a Japanese flair.

18. RocketsNutz

RocketsNutz Registered

It goes boom! :D

I agree though, pretty much meh to basically all the new design. Which sucks because the hardware design was probably one of the things that drew me in the most in 77/78 as a 3-4 year old... like I wanted to live in that world, I wanted it to be tactile because it looked so cool. Stuck with me ever since.