Newfoundland on the Hype

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by FlameHead, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Démon Registered

I'm here. Not born in Newfoundland, but I lived here for a good 10 years or more (The majority of my life). Excellent place to live, if you can ignore the tax rate here.

2. FlameHead Registered

Welcome to the official Newfoundland Hype board Demon. Nice to see a fellow (almost) Newf on the boards. I'm just trying to get all these Americans (and various other nations) aware of this wonderful Province of ours.

3. masteryoda Registered

I never could understand your damn newfie mitts. :mad:

[​IMG]

4. FlameHead Registered

I didn't realize that those mitts were considered a Newfie mitt actually. I just assumed they were just mitts. If you're wondering about the one finger free, it's to use a gun with.... and I'm not talking about drive by shootings like in the hood. Hunting and fishing and general woodsy outdoors things are HUGE in Newfoundland.

5. MyDogShotJFK Wannabe Luddite

Hey - I'm from Newfie-land too. Small world hey? :)

Here's a site with some great pics of central Newfoundland:
    http://www.filmgander.com/locations/locations.htm

just choose a region and it'll bring up some great ... and sometimes strange pictures.

6. FlameHead Registered

Welcome to the hype MyDog. You wouldn't believe how small the world is in actuality. It's almost like I'm able to reach out and touch you.

That site you mentioned is great for any Location scouts that may be on the boards. Those who visit here kno how valuable our scenery is.

7. FlameHead Registered

[​IMG]

She's from Newfoundland? Her name is Natasha and she is gorgous. I'm sure you recognize her from the Species flicks. Did you know she was from our great province?

.....Other Famous Newfoundlanders.

8. Sandman138 Registered

Damn between your picture and this one I think that Newfoundland has the best looking people on Earth.

9. FlameHead Registered

Wow, that was one of the best compliments ever recieved! Very nice of you.

If you think our people look great, you should see the scenery. There are parts of this wonderful island that would blow your mind.

10. Démon Registered

I'm stuck in which is pretty much Newfoundland's "Hickville", so I don't get to see women like that unless I'm in St. John's.

11. FlameHead Registered

Well... you have the scenery then. hehe.

12. Démon Registered

And a convenience store really close to my house. As much as I hate to say it, Pouch Cove's better to live in than Torbay was.

13. FlameHead Registered

I live pretty close to Tobay myself. On Torbay road anyway in the Torbay Apartment buildings.

14. FlameHead Registered

15. FlameHead Registered

Interested in visiting our great province? Now that it's winter, you don't have to put up with that snow like in the above pick.

Check out this website...
    http://www.gov.nf.ca/tourism/

16. FlameHead Registered

Ever hear a Newfie joke before? Probably. A lot of Newfoundlanders hate the fact that we get made fun of. I don't. What most people dont' realize is that 90% of those jokes were created by a Newfoundlander... and most of them are damn funny.

I found a link where there are serveral lister if you're interested...
    http://www.joe-ks.com/newfie.htm

17. Démon Registered

Shame the snow wasn't like that last winter. Maybe this winter we'll get a bunch of it. I think the weather out here numbed my nerve cells or something, because I used to walk home from school on days as cold as that wearing a jean jacket and shirt. When I lived in Torbay, anyway.

18. FlameHead Registered

I think you may get you wish on that one. According to how cold it's gotten already. It's only September for Pete's sake. I hope we don't get a lot, now that I live in St. John's. It's so hard to get around the city when there's too much snow.

19. FlameHead Registered

[​IMG]
    In Newfoundland and Labrador, the pitcher-plant (Sarracenia purpurea), also known as the Indian dipper and the huntsman's cup, was suggested for use on the coinage by Queen Victoria and was made an official emblem in 1954. The caribou is also an accepted emblem of Newfoundland. In Beaumont Hamel Park in France, a life-size bronze statue of a caribou commemorates the historic attack on Beaumont Hamel, July 1, 1916, when almost the entire Newfoundland and Labrador Regiment was wiped out. A replica in Bowring Park, St. John's, was unveiled in July 1, 1928.

That info was taken from THIS WEBSITE HEREthe website right here

20. FlameHead Registered

Our Capital City - St. John's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Zarathi Registered

I dont see patriotic read white blue,
    I see a broad sword that would be wicked to use,

22. FlameHead Registered

Just because it has white, red and blue on the flag doesn't mean it symbolizes the same things as it does on the American Flag.

Swords are cool though.

23. FlameHead Registered

Everyone knows about these...

[​IMG]

They're Newfoundland dogs... for those that don't.

24. FlameHead Registered

I grew up in a small planned community called Churchill Falls which is in the Labrador part of Newfoundland and Labrador. It a company town built solely for people who operate the 2nd largest underground power plant in the world.

The source of this power comes from water and was envisioned because of this waterfall.
    [​IMG]

It doesn't look that way anymore though. Now it has been damed off and all the water has been diverted to the power station. Now it looks like this
    [​IMG]

25. vegeta21 Registered

How did Nova Scotia beat Newfoundland in the great Cod War of '99? Newfoundland threw the grenades at Nova Scotia and Nov Scotia pulled the pins and threw them back. :D