Next American City to get a Pro Sports Team that doesn't have one now

Dr. Evil

Eternal
Reaction score
Over the past two decades, we've seen cities emerge with pro sports franchises in one of the big four (MLB, NFL, NHL and NBA) that have not had one previously, although that hasn't been the case in Major League Baseball as all of it's teams are in markets with multiple sports teams. The NBA is the most common case. Besides Portland, San Antonio, Sacramento, Salt Lake City and Orlando, in the last decade, they've added Memphis and Oklahoma City. They also had Charlotte before the Panthers came to town and Phoenix for 20 years before the Cardinals moved there. They also do have Brooklyn, but the Dodgers once played there.

The NFL has Jacksonville and Tennessee (I think the Titans moved there months before Nashville was awarded an NHL team).

The NHL does have Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa and Winnipeg, but I am talking about American cities that had no pro sports teams that have one now. The NHL has Columbus and Carolina emerge the last 20 years. They also have San Jose. They may be adding Las Vegas soon.

So which American city that currently has no pro sports team in any of the big four do you think is next and if so, what league?

I think that next on the list will be either Louisville or Virginia should the NBA expand again. I hear a place like Austin and somehow I don't see that as being a fit for any of the big four.

San Antonio would love an NFL team.

NBA
Seattle
St. Louis

NFL
Los Angeles is definitely next
Portland
Oklahoma City
Toronto

In terms of places that have no major pro sports team: Virginia Beach/Norfolk and Austin both seem like the best estimates.

Va Beach/Norfolk has been in talks for years, Richmond even.

We have a Triple AAA baseball team and that's about it

Las Vegas

And the Virginia Beach area is a good pick as well.

Need to look at places where population is swelling, and have enough corporations in the area to support pro sports.

If you're looking at a completely untapped market by the Big 4 sports, obviously Las Vegas is next. It's basically a done deal with the NHL at this point. If it works there, someone else like MLB will follow.

Elsewhere in the US, you could see places like Austin, TX and Louisville, KY in the next 20 years if those areas continue to grow

I would say Virginia Beach/Norfolk because I would LOVE a team to be here, but traffic would be 10x worse than it already.

:o

I love the Dallas Mavericks and all, but if we got an NBA team here, I would jump ship so fast it's not even funny.

I would say Virginia Beach/Norfolk because I would LOVE a team to be here, but traffic would be 10x worse than it already.

:o

seeing as how i live in this area, i can totally agree with that.
Norfolk has the world's largest naval base, and there are quite a few around here as it is, so that market would definitely be interested in a football team, especially with the talent in the area picking up and ODU and NSU (Old Dominion/Norfolk State) football teams getting big numbers now. big numbers for around here anyways

i would love a NFL or NBA team here personally in the Va Beach area or even Richmond

Next American City to get a Pro Sports Team that doesn't have one now?

I'lll mention a city that's a long shot. Omaha, Nebraska! The fans support sports teams well and the college world series is played there. I could see a MLB or or possibly an NHL team doing well there, and picking up some fans in the adjacent states.

The NHL is open to expansion has mentioned Las Vegas.

Omaha has about 1 million people in the metro area. Its big enough, but I don't see it unless Warren Buffet bus a team!

I think if the NBA expands again it'll be Seattle and either Virginia or Louisville.

Austin might be a good city for a pro team if the University of Texas is open to co-existing with that team.

If Canada counts as 'American,' then probably an NHL team in Quebec City or Hamilton is the closest to happening of the four major sports.

I don't see anything new in the NBA or MLB any time soon. Seattle will probably get an NBA team soon, but that's not a new city.

London has clearly got the attention of the NFL, so that's probably the next new city in that league that doesn't have a team in the other big four sports.

If you just want to count cities in the US, I would venture to guess that Las Vegas is probably the most likely, even with the leagues wary of the gambling issue.

Last edited:
seeing as how i live in this area, i can totally agree with that.
Norfolk has the world's largest naval base, and there are quite a few around here as it is, so that market would definitely be interested in a football team, especially with the talent in the area picking up and ODU and NSU (Old Dominion/Norfolk State) football teams getting big numbers now. big numbers for around here anyways

i would love a NFL or NBA team here personally in the Va Beach area or even Richmond

I am hoping that in ten years, I can be proud to root for ODU football on the national scale. It's small steps but maybe they can get there one day.

San Antonio's soccer team deserve to move up to MLS. our team is called the Scorpions

I am hoping that in ten years, I can be proud to root for ODU football on the national scale. It's small steps but maybe they can get there one day.

yes! it helps that they just had their first NFL signee. QB Heineke was picked up by the Vikings

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"