Next Batman Villain?

Penguin needs to be in this new series, as does the Riddler. But im warming up to the idea of keeping Riddler/Joker/Two-Face all in Arkham via cameo roles. To show that they dont want to re-do a Dark Knight type crime story (with Joker or Riddler), and to show us that Batman is well into his 40s, having encountered all the classic rogues before.

Using Penguin as a side character while Freeze is the main villain. Along with those cameos from the classics inside Arkham? Sounds perfect to me.

Batman knows Cobblepot very well, as well as Catwoman...but they're both not insane. He lets them operate in different parts of the city but he has his limits. He'll use Penguin for information so he'll let him run Iceberg Lounge. But if he crosses the line too much, Batman will do more than shake him for info. And Penguin knows it.

Freeze is the main villain.

But i feel that's just a fantasy.

WB would rather bring back the Joker or use Riddler/Penguin to market the first solo movie. I say screw that. That's not even the problem. The issue is courting Affleck to direct. He just doesn't seem like the guy to bring that kind of style to life. If Ben directs, we're getting Nolan type stuff not metahumans. His style is even grittier than Nolan's. It'll mean this: Snyder or whoever else takes care of the team-ups where their Batman is involved with more outlandish elements and when Batfleck goes back to Gotham he deals with the same gritty stuff he was dealing with before Superman ever showed his face. Only with different characters to keep it new and fresh.

Im OK with that. But if they want Freeze or Deathstroke....metahumans, monsters, whatever...they'll have to get a different director.

Hush, Riddler (offscreen for most of the movie) leads Batman on a long 72 hour chase through the criminal underworld (Black Mask & Penguin), through Arkham (with inmate cameos), and into his past (Clayface as Jason Todd). Mad Hatter & Hugo Strange's appearances question the existence of the Riddler and the sanity of Batman.

Last edited:
Hush, Riddler (offscreen for most of the movie) leads Batman on a long 72 hour chase through the criminal underworld (Black Mask & Penguin), through Arkham (with inmate cameos), and into his past (Clayface as Jason Todd). Mad Hatter & Hugo Strange's appearances question the existence of the Riddler and the sanity of Batman.

This sounds like it would be better set purely in Arkham Asylum with Hugo Strange as the big bad.

Wouldn't mind seeing Thomas Elliot used throughout the trilogy. Introduced as a friend first and then throughout becomes the enemy.

Hush sucks ! Paul Dini made him a bit better but he is still an uninteresting character. Loeb saved it at the end by making it a Riddler story but Hush was still a shallow character and pretty implausable even for comics i mean he is angry at Bruce because his father saved Elliot's mom so he couldn't orphan ? damn.

For every Hush story there is a potential Wrath story just a million times better.

After re-playing Arkham Origins, I really want to see the Penguin return to the big screen. I would prefer they not have his ultimate aim be a 'destroy-Gotham-plot' but have him as a ruthless mobster who has to be taken down (like Nicholson's character in the Departed.) One of my complaints with the Nolan Trilogy is that all of them were built around the destruction of Gotham. Some of the best Batman arcs (such as the Legends of the Dark Night original volume + Englehart's run in the 1970's,) focus on Batman taking down new criminals and protecting the city as a result, instead of trying to defuse a doomsday device. Since Affleck's films have focused on real world concerns, he could focus in on some of the real problems - weapons trafficking, gang violence, murders, and so on-and take down the larger than life personalities perpetrating these crimes.

This is not an artistic stretch: Whitey Bulger was just sentenced to life in prison. The fact that some of these real world 'super mobsters' are out there makes the scenario fertile for use. Let me put it this way: one of the reasons the Avengers was appealing was that it had superheroes stopping a terrorist attack in NYC (and you don't have to be a Humanities scholar or psychologist to see what is going on behind the scenes-cough, cough, 9/11). The new Batman film could have him taking down one of the ruthless, faceless mobsters-like Bulger & his associates.

For those who argue that Bulger and his cronies are something of the past, I beg to differ: my home town has been the stomping ground for the Mafia, and we made headlines, when one of the men at the fiber glass plant was taken out by the Ice Man. These ruthless Mobsters are still around; all one has to do is select one of the masked ones from Batman's canon and built upon the existing emotional stakes.

I think the next Bat movie should be somewhat based on the Arkham Asylum game. That'd be sick

Or if they go the traditional main villain + side villain route, Freeze as the main, and anyone else as the side villain

You can change Hush origin up because I admit his motivations are weak, but what makes Hush interesting to me is he is more tactical than Wayne, he can use his friendship in his advantage, his surgeon skills and ability to dismember faces is downright creepy and his mask full of bandages look awesome holding two guns. Hush can be made into a star.

I think the next Bat movie should be somewhat based on the Arkham Asylum game. That'd be sick

Or if they go the traditional main villain + side villain route, Freeze as the main, and anyone else as the side villain

That's not a bad idea. Rather than throw us right into AA, I'd like to see those adapted as a conclusion to a longer running series. WB needs to sit down with whoever's in charge of the next Batman series and work out a series of multiple films--like the Harry Potter series--and use the Arkham games to cap them off.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Assassins from the latest Arkham game worked into the film universe (minus Bane; I'm pleased as punch with Nolan's take on the character). Maybe we see them throughout the series working for different "famous freaks" (Penguin, Joker, Black Mask etc), then at the end we find out they're working for the same employer. I'm not well enough versed in the Batman mythos to say who it should be.

@Crane: Great idea. I'd take that and replace Bulger with some of Batman's more fantastic rogues. That way you still get the sense that this series is a different beast than Nolan's, but retain some of the..."grit."

If Goyer is writing, there wont be any mapping going on. I actually dont mind any scenario but i prefer the one film at a time + writing themselves into a corner thing. It's a creative way of doing things. WB aren't in the business of making DC films so im not expecting anything like Marvels universe.

The Ventriloquist and Killer Croc. I want to see villains that haven't been done before. Heck, even Clayface.

if you mean a solo Batman film the next villain should be Mr Freeze after the shambolic Arnie performance he needs the big screen treatment and then The Riddler.

I prefer to see the Ventriloquist and Killer Croc, or Clayface, to each their own.

And Poison Ivy? She's one of the most important bat-villains, why no one mentions her?

I think some feel she's too outlandish, controlling plants and what not.

I actually don't think Ivy is "important" at all. What makes her an important bat-villain may i ask?

I think some feel she's too outlandish, controlling plants and what not.

Here's how you fix that:

Poison Ivy is the overlord of a drug cartel based in South America. One of her experimental drugs is derived from a warlord's underground bioweapons research facility. It creates a human/plant hybrid that is totally subservient to its master. Bulbous pods on the hybrids' extremities contain an aerosol of the drug that, upon inhalation, creates more of the human/plant hybrids.

I actually don't think Ivy is "important" at all. What makes her an important bat-villain may i ask?

Surely she's more important than Black Mask, and I've read this character mentioned lots of times, and if the problem is she's too outlandish and fantastic, mmm, sorry, Mr. Freeze? (it looks a lot of people want him as the next villain, and I can't understand why)

Last edited:
tumblr_mczs7vmLNj1ql4uieo1_500.jpg

This guy ! but i want very dark, realistic approach not cheesy like the nolan flicks. i want WB to ressurect Bergman and have him direct this.

How in the world are Nolan's movies cheesy, and wth how are they not dark and realistic? :lmao: :007

Surely she's more important than Black Mask, and I've read this character mentioned lots of times, and if the problem is she's too outlandish and fantastic, mmm, sorry, Mr. Freeze? (it looks a lot of people want him as the next villain, and I can't understand why)
Freeze actually has a great character arc. There's a tragic story to tell. Poison Ivy in my opinion is a very shallow, one-dimensional character. You can say the same about Black Mask. To some people he may seem darker (he is) and more threatening, but he's not more important than Ivy. Like you said.

I just dont think she's important to the history of Batman or how she relates to Batman/Bruce Wayne. I would argue that she's more important than say..Mad Hatter. But i can name a dozen villains that hold more importance to the mythology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"