NFL - Game On

This is what the judge said.

He needs to be fired and never play again.

The thing that blows my mind is that she then gave him a 6 game suspension. After THAT!!! What kind of message does that send to women who have been assaulted? What kind of message does it send in general? It's certainly not "To all the women out there who are victims of sexual assault and harassment, we've got your back."

This is what the judge said.

He needs to be fired and never play again.

This is her conclusion in the sense that this is what she believes happened. Not in the sense that if she was a criminal prosecutor she would charge him based on evidence she has obtained.

The thing that blows my mind is that she then gave him a 6 game suspension. After THAT!!! What kind of message does that send to women who have been assaulted? What kind of message does it send in general? It's certainly not "To all the women out there who are victims of sexual assault and harassment, we've got your back."

Looking more into it, she goes into how she is kind of tied by the NFL's lack of precedent. And goes into just how woefully inadequate the NFL's player rules are for handling it.

This is her conclusion in the sense that this is what she believes happened. Not in the sense that if she was a criminal prosecutor she would charge him based on evidence she has obtained.

Based on 4 of the 24 accusations. This is sort of a Cosby situation. Once you start getting over 10 accusations, it becomes much less of a "maybe".

Looking more into it, she goes into how she is kind of tied by the NFL's lack of precedent. And goes into just how woefully inadequate the NFL's player rules are for handling it.

Based on 4 of the 24 accusations. This is sort of a Cosby situation. Once you start getting over 10 accusations, it becomes much less of a "maybe".

Maybe it’s just me, but when it comes to this kind of thing, I tend to look at it as what is the right approach. Six games is complete and utter BS and I don’t want to hear excuses about how the screwed up past is being carried into today.

I agree with that, thats why I said Watson should take the 6 games and shut up. But we just cant jump from number of accusers to automatically guilty to getting banned from the NFL for life.

The accusers took the money and signed NDAs. Theres alot that we will never know because of it. No one comes out of it looking good.

And he gets 100% guaranteed money smh

That is an impressive statement, especially given that the arbiter said he clearly wasn't remorseful.

Whelp... this is probably going to court.

Its gonna be tied up in court forever.

Kudos to the NFL for doing the right thing instead of the easy thing.
So that means he can't play while the appeal process is in motion? I thought that usually it was the other way around.

So that means he can't play while the appeal process is in motion? I thought that usually it was the other way around.
It's complicated. The league will definitely submit their punishment before the start of the season. If Watson sues the league because of the punishment severity, then he would be allowed to play Week 1, up until whenever a verdict would be reached the trial. That could be 8 weeks, it could be a year. Happened to Brady with deflategate, he got to play in 2015 because of the trial, hence why the suspension was during the 2016 season.

The thing is, it might not be smart for him to sue the league, if he truly values his money as it might end up costing him more. Judge Robinson findings concluded that he is absolutely guilty of breaking the NFL's code of conduct, but the reason she didn't suspend him for more games was because the NFL hadn't set a stern precedent on punishments, so they cant give him more without fair warning. Which quite frankly is stupid, but whatever. Either way, since she found him guilty, the federal court will most likely side with the NFL on the issue. If that's the case, if Watson draws this out into the 23-24 season, he could lose even more change due to the way the Browns structured his contract to help mitigate financial loss for a suspension this season. I think he's only set to make $10M this year, where as next year he'll be making $46M, which is quite a bit of dough out the door, assuming there isn't another restructure.

It's complicated. The league will definitely submit their punishment before the start of the season. If Watson sues the league because of the punishment severity, then he would be allowed to play Week 1, up until whenever a verdict would be reached the trial. That could be 8 weeks, it could be a year. Happened to Brady with deflategate, he got to play in 2015 because of the trial, hence why the suspension was during the 2016 season.

The thing is, it might not be smart for him to sue the league, if he truly values his money as it might end up costing him more. Judge Robinson findings concluded that he is absolutely guilty of breaking the NFL's code of conduct, but the reason she didn't suspend him for more games was because the NFL hadn't set a stern precedent on punishments, so they cant give him more without fair warning. Which quite frankly is stupid, but whatever. Either way, since she found him guilty, the federal court will most likely side with the NFL on the issue. If that's the case, if Watson draws this out into the 23-24 season, he could lose even more change due to the way the Browns structured his contract to help mitigate financial loss for a suspension this season. I think he's only set to make $10M this year, where as next year he'll be making $46M, which is quite a bit of dough out the door, assuming there isn't another restructure.
I see.......if the suspension goes into effect next year, he's losing like 40X more per game. LOL. I wonder if the Browns would try to restructure again to fix that. Wouldn't be a popular move IMO and would exacerbate what is already a problem for the Browns cap space down the line.

A pickle of his own making......too bad too sad.

Yeah, I see this going to court and the suspension may wait until next season

Yeah, I see this going to court and the suspension may wait until next season

Which is perfect because that way he will lose real money. I dont think the Browns will have the gall to restructure his contract again to make sure he doesnt lose real game checks.

Which is perfect because that way he will lose real money. I dont think the Browns will have the gall to restructure his contract again to make sure he doesnt lose real game checks.

I wouldn't put it passed them

I wouldn't put it passed them
I would go from sort of pulling for the Browns and feeling bad them to actively not liking them (which won't exactly be ruinous for the franchise LOL) if they did that. Just signing Watson took me a little bit in that direction anyway.

So my surprise team this year is gonna be the Detroit Lions. I love the direction Dan Campbell is taking them. Probably don't have their star QB of the future just yet, but Goff can win them some games. I think they can challenge for a WC spot.

So my surprise team this year is gonna be the Detroit Lions. I love the direction Dan Campbell is taking them. Probably don't have their star QB of the future just yet, but Goff can win them some games. I think they can challenge for a WC spot.

I dont know... they have considerably less talent then every other team in their own division. They have the worse QB in their division. A WC is what... 9 or 10 wins? I dont see it.

I dont know... they have considerably less talent then every other team in their own division. They have the worse QB in their division. A WC is what... 9 or 10 wins? I dont see it.

Their record from last year doesn't reflect how bad they were. They were in a lot of close games down the stretch after their bye week. Lost 6 games by 7 points or less the whole season. I think they're right close, if not slightly better than Minnesota and Chicago.

Last edited:
I just looked at their schedule and it's pretty easy. Bills, Boys, and Eagles are their toughest games outside their division, but I think I'd put them at maybe 8 wins because of their schedule, but I just can't see them in the playoffs. You've got 1 team in the east, 2 in the west, and the division winners that are clearly, clearly superior to them. That's if they end up being 2nd best in their own division. I actually think the Jets probably have a better team (yeah, I know I'm out on a pretty lonely limb), but wouldn't pick them to have as many wins because their schedule is flat out murder.

EDIT: I will give them credit for having a very good offseason. We'll see how it all works out.

I just looked at their schedule and it's pretty easy. Bills, Boys, and Eagles are their toughest games outside their division, but I think I'd put them at maybe 8 wins because of their schedule, but I just can't see them in the playoffs. You've got 1 team in the east, 2 in the west, and the division winners that are clearly, clearly superior to them. That's if they end up being 2nd best in their own division. I actually think the Jets probably have a better team (yeah, I know I'm out on a pretty lonely limb), but wouldn't pick them to have as many wins because their schedule is flat out murder.

EDIT: I will give them credit for having a very good offseason. We'll see how it all works out.

Their schedule is relatively easy for a good team maybe, but it wont be easy for the Lions. 8 or 9 wins would be a VERY good year for them. Vegas has them at 6.5 right now.

Their schedule is relatively easy for a good team maybe, but it wont be easy for the Lions. 8 or 9 wins would be a VERY good year for them. Vegas has them at 6.5 right now.
That doesn't sound unreasonable at all. That being said, if their offseason works out right (you never know what a good offseason is until sometime during the regular season), I could see them around 8; and, yeah, that would be a great season for them. The key is how they are going to stack up against Chicago and Minnesota because they've got 4 games against them. I think both look stronger at this point, but if they could get 2 or even 3 wins out of those games, they could have a decent season. On paper, they had a great off season, but paper has many uses.......

Wow why does God hate the Jets?
If you're talking about Wilson's knee injury, it ended up being pretty minor and he could be ready for the season opener.

Maybe God just wants to SCARE the Jets. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"