NFL Free Agency

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by Go Web Go!, Mar 9, 2006.

1. oregondude Registered

[​IMG]

Not this man. No running game, revolving door of wide receivers and a mediocre offensive line yet he was pretty consistent and even brilliant.

2. Ultimate_Superman Registered

I am glad some people in here know what time it is for DC. Now if only our hockey program can get back on track we'll be okay.

3. Guy Gardner Registered

And has no rings to show for it...even Kurt Warner has one

4. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Yeah and I doubt Kurt Warner is heading to the Hall of Fame, your point?

5. Guy Gardner Registered

you don't play the game to get into the hall of fame, you play to win rings...I have nothing but respect for Marino, but that lack of a ring on his finger makes it hard to support arguments that he's somehow the greatest QB of all time

And Warner may make it to the Hall yet, I'm no fan of his, but time will tell

6. oregondude Registered

Anyone who thinks that winning the super bowl is the main barometer of greatness really needs a clue, no offence I did not mean you guy gardner, but in general. Many people argue Montana is the greatest ever, or say how great Elway was or Favre and do not mention Marino.

It takes a TEAM to win a Super Bowl, a TEAM with a good D and a solid running game. Elway did not get his until the team was built around Davis. Favre has yet to produce without a running game, hell his stats show how weak he is without a running game and Montana was on perhaps the greatest team of the last 25 years and easily one of the top 5 teams of all time.

Marino produced in a way that NO other QB has ever produced, without a running game and without a great offensive line as well as without defesnive help most of the time.

Aikman never won a game that # 22 did not play in. Favre puts up lackluster #'s when he does not have a productive running game and Montana had the most stacked offense one could wish for, up until the late 90's Rams.

Downplaying the greatness that was Marino due to the lacking of hardware is not rational. The man played in an era where the average wide receiver was 5'9" and they were towered over by DB's.

Easily the best pocket QB ever, I hate to see his career diminished because he did not get the ring. Putting up the stats he did facing defenses designed to stop him throughout his career, the man was great no doubt about it.

7. oregondude Registered

Warner would have to play for another 6 years putting up stats like he did those 2 good years in STL in order to be thought of as Hall material. Due to his age and frankly, his lack of that level of talent, he does not stand a chance.

Marino broke EVERY major passing record after playing for 13 years. The records were held by someone playing a 20 year career. Granted the passing game had evolved but I dobt anybody could honestly put up a valid argument AGAINST Marino being the best pocket qb ever.

8. Guy Gardner Registered

Two Words: Joe Montana, the argument begins and ends with him and some day he may be replaced by Tom Brady....

Marino was good, but even he admits he'd trade everything he accomplished for the ring

9. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Tom Brady is hands down the most over-rated quarterback in the league. He has 3 rings but last time I checked Adam Vinatieri won them those 3 Super Bowls.

10. oregondude Registered

Rings dont make the player. I guess you do not agree that it takes more than one QB to win a ring?

Montana was a great leader and kept his head, but physically he was average. He just happened to be the guy on the team that brought in loads of other talent and a very innovative new offensive scheme that nobody knew how to defend.

If Montana was so great he would have taken KC to the big dance. **** man, look at that whole San Fran team, even STEVE BONO led the league in passing and put up the SAME #'s Montana did when he ran that offense.

11. bored One Sexy Lemur

So? Just because of his own personal aspirations, it doesn't mean he wasn't a great QB. Frankly, I think the 'no ring' argument crumbles when put up against oregondude's logic. The QB alone doesn't win championships.

12. Guy Gardner Registered

How is he overrated? His numbers keep getting better and his play is the most consistent in the league and they guy has yet to perform poorly in a clutch situation. Vinatieri doesn't get a chance to win those Super Bowls if Brady doesn't set him up

if you think Peyton Manning's better you're crazy...he'll never win a ring. He's just like Marino, all the talent and numbers in the world but he won't ever have anything to show for it outside of records.

This is all off topic, however as the Redskins continue to overpay players that won't help them win

Adam Archuleta
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/wcStory?contentId=5403548

13. oregondude Registered

Finally a response based on rational thinking! :):up: :up: :up:

14. bored One Sexy Lemur

If it were all on Tom Brady, wouldn't they have enough of a lead in those games that they wouldn't need Vinatieri to save their asses?

15. Go Web Go! Shhhhhhhh!

Montana said himself in a radio interview down here that had he think Marino is the best ever and had he been on the Dolphins and Marino been on the 49ers, Danny Boy would have won all those Super Bowls. Maybe more. I'd say you can't argue that...Anyway, don't want to get side-tracked here. These are the latest signings:

-Redskins sign Safety Adam Archuleta
    -Jamal Lewis re-signs with the Baltimore Ravens
    -Titans sign LB David Thornton
    -49ers sign WR Antonio Bryant

16. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Didnt the Ravens just sign Mike Anderson?:confused:

Too bad for Antonio Bryant too, its not like theres anyone to throw him the ball.:(

17. Go Web Go! Shhhhhhhh!

Indeed they did. Looks like they're going down the KC route and using 2 RB's. They could use them. It's not like they have a QB.

18. StorminNorman Registered

Sure, Michael Clayton was a horrible reciever. Plus I said Great, I dont consider Marino great - I put him in the next catagory, Legendary.

19. StorminNorman Registered

The Hall of Fame aint proof either, there are many great players who are not in the Hall who deserve to be among the ranks of their piers. Also injuries are not taken into consideration as well as other handicaps some players have. Terrell Davis belongs in the Hall, but he probably will not get because of injury problems.

20. krpton2 Registered

Davis belongs in the hall.

21. StorminNorman Registered

Sure, because he drove his team down the field inorder to kick the GWFG. Tom Brady one of the greats in NFL HISTORY, not just the present league.

22. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Laughable statement. Everytime that game is on his hands he chokes. Everyone remembers the now famous sitting interception.:up:

23. Go Web Go! Shhhhhhhh!

Who is Michael Clayton?

24. StorminNorman Registered

Of course, because what is Brady just has two game winning super bowl drives compared to a single mistake in a meaningless game.

25. StorminNorman Registered

Pardon, Mark Clayton.