Nicolas Winding Refn teaming up with Netflix for 'Copenhagen Cowboy’

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score
Nicolas Winding Refn Makes ‘Copenhagen Cowboy’ Series for Netflix – The Hollywood Reporter

Described as a “thrill-inducing, neon-drenched noir series,” the six-part show stars Angela Bundalovic, of Netflix’s Danish hit The Rain, as Miu, a young heroine who travels through Copenhagen’s criminal netherworld.

Refn made his name with his Pusher trilogy of Danish crime films, which introduced the world to future star Mads Mikkelsen.

Zlatko Buric, who plays Serbian local drug lord Milo in all three Pusher films, reteams with Refn for Copenhagen Cowboy. Refn’s daughter, actor Lola Corfixen, co-stars, alongside Andreas Lykke Jørgensen, Jason Hendil-Forssell, Li Ii Zhang, Dragana Milutinovic, Mikael Bertelsen and Mads Brügger.

Copenhagen has a criminal underworld? I guess every city does to some extent but it just always seemed like such a lovely place any time I’ve been there.

It's out now. Will try to watch this in the background while working.

I have a couple of episodes left, and I'm anticipating some interesting turns getting close to the end. This is, as the trailer shows, very typical Refn. The cinematography/photography is beautiful as usual, and we get a score similar to Drive.

The first two episodes are very bleak and kinda depressing in a way, since we're dealing with the pure evil known as trafficking here. And ngl, the many 360 degrees camera sweeps gets a bit tiresome after a while IMO. Still, albeit a bit exhausted from first episodes I wanted to see where this went.

The protagonist is a mysterious young girl we don't know anything about, and she gets more intriguing along the way. We also get some "supernatural" elements, and mysterious **** lol (there's a thing/theme with pigs I'm yet not sure what it's all about). Anyhows, hopefully the last episodes hold up as well.

I enjoyed this. It's definitely a Refn production. The cameo is certainly, uh, interesting... :hehe:

Hopefully this gets a second season. I still need to watch Too Old to Die Young.

On a technical level this was super compelling but just Too Old to Die Young I just found it so emotionally cold and hollow and yet I couldn't stop watching because I was somehow still drawn into it.

Refn is still a master craftsman when it comes to creating atmosphere as well as having some gorgeous cinematography to look at, but the writing for his characters is still a bit problematic for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"