No Cyclops; Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Spider-Kid, Aug 23, 2010.

?

Should Cyclops be replaced with Havok (along with Jean Grey)?

1. Keep them both in, having Havok as a villain for the movie

2. Just keep Cyclops in; after all, it is First Class

3. Keep Havok; no Cyclops please

4. Get rid of them both

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. FaT_tONle

FaT_tONle Well-Known Member

No one specified anything about Jean, Cyke, Beast, and Storm being a part of this. Yeah the Shwartzmann script was there and featured them, but once that was tossed, anything was fair game. That is why I was making a big issue about a movies spanning two decades and McAvoy playing a 30-50 year old from beginning to end. You shouldn't have assumed this was a template from the FC comic, or the original high school mutant drama script. The movie title is irrelevant.

2. gambitfire

gambitfire Well-Known Member

Jarvis hasn't been the leader of the x-men since the beginning of the comics.... He's barely as iconic as Alfred really..... because even your average viewer probably knows who Alfred is.

Nick Fury may be black but he's still the head of S.H.E.I.L.D.

How the Avengers are formed in film verse doesn't seem like it will change the crucial line up by much...

whiplash and .... wait who cares!?

Pepper did have the hots for Tony and somehow the movie verse didn't really screw over either character.

This is one of those changes where once again - A crucial character to the mythology gets gypped... again.

This guy's their freaking field leader, he's the fist behind Xavier's dream and not one film did him real justice.

So I think it's fair if some people "hate" on that fact as someone so put it. :)

3. Deaths Head II

Deaths Head II The Sequel

There's a big difference between "holding out hope" and "assuming." Singer didn't say anything about the script and he was still clearly bringing in a team of young X-Men. One of those was Cyclops' brother, one of them was Cyclops' teammate Hank. I was holding out hope that Cyclops and Jean would be announced as well. The First Class element is still there, it just wasn't what the original concept was about and I didn't know that until Singer revealed this takes place in the 60s.

4. hopefuldreamer

hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

Until it's a reboot, with entirely different people handling the decisions, I'm not gonna care anyway.

I stopped believing they understood cyclops a long time ago, and didn't think they were suddnely going to get it right now.

If anything it's a relief he's not in it. I don't have to see more of their warped idea of who he is and what he's like.

5. TNC9852002

TNC9852002 Banned User

lol...This is the perfect example of how fans can have such a negative influence on a movie..

I keep bringing this up too--How can people accept the premise of this movie which centers on Magneto and Xavier's early years, but complain that they didn't squeeze in characters that probably don't need to be there but should just because they're popular? We don't want another Gambit situation do we?

I don't care that Cyclops isn't in this movie because I accept the premise of the movie.

6. Optimus_Prime_

Optimus_Prime_ Well-Known Member

That's exactly what the cast list is giving us; a laundry list of mutants who really have no place in an Xavier/Magneto story. Admittedly the stories about Xavier and Magneto pre-X-Men #1 are interesting, but why not actually, I dunno, use characters from those stories.

Mr. Sinister, The Shadow King, Lucifer, Baron Von Strucker, Cassandra Nova, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Amelia Voight, Legion, young Ororo Monroe...all could have a place in this story, but they choose to throw in an extremely random who's who cast...just like Wolverine.

It's the same WTF factor as having Cyclops and Gambit randomly show up in Wolverine: Origins.

7. misjuevos

misjuevos WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

its been said a couple times. this movie will be about magneto and xavier. so they will become friends form a team then breakup. then they go off and form their own teams. probably a sequel we will see cyclops fight havok.

8. gambitfire

gambitfire Well-Known Member

Well besides everything Optimus_Prime has said...
    because for a while now we were expecting X-men.... "First Class"...

9. ReallyCoolGuy

ReallyCoolGuy Just a freakin' cool dude

Who said there's no Cyclops in this film..? Just because it hasn't been "confirmed" doesn't mean anything... because, technically, no casting choices have yet been "confirmed".

(Why is there no "shaking of the head" smilie??)

10. DarkSuperman

DarkSuperman Well-Known Member

where have you been the last 24hrs? Its all over the web, Singer confirmed it. No Jean, no Scott. this automatically destroys whatever interest I had in this film. the first class, team, or whatever the heck you wanna call them were the fantastic five...now these D-List mutants.

11. the a1ant

the a1ant Awesome

That's what I'm hoping for. That would be the best way to do it.

12. FVD

FVD Ascendant Here On

While the idea of having Alex being older than Scott may sound preposterous, what if Havok came from the future or something? That could possibly explain the age difference.

13. Optimus_Prime_

Optimus_Prime_ Well-Known Member

Jarvis is a D-List character at best, who frankly was more interesting as the overtly gay manservant in Ultimates than he ever was in 616. He might as well have been a computer, since he's already just practically the character equivalent of a home appliance.
    Clearly though, in Ultimate MU, he is black, and played by Samuel L. Jackson (once he started appearing in Ultimates). It was wise for Marvel to use his character, since he provided such easy access to the comics. Furthermore Nick Fury in 616 is no longer the character he once was. He's not head of S.H.E.I.L.D, and he's infrequently used.
    Again, in the Ultimate U they clearly did.
    The movie actually gets this right. Ivan Vanko is the son of Crimson Dynamo, and his character recently appeared in the comics as the son of Crimson Dynamo. Furthermore, as others said "who cares".
    So was Tony and Pepper. Also, this isn't really important to Iron Man's story.

Let's see, if this were Iron Man, making Havok 20 years Scott's senior would be akin to making Pepper Potts and Happy Hogan Tony Stark's grandmother. It changes the entire dynamic and really just seems like their intentionally trying to f*** with the story.

Why is Havok even in this movie? Can you answer that? They could use Amelia Voight, for example. They could use Apocalypse. They could even use Christopher Summers if they're really itching to include a Summers in the movie. ALL WOULD MAKE SENSE with regards to their comic counterparts. Instead they go Havok? Really, no one in that script meeting said "waitaminute that's Scott Summers' younger brother, and Scott isn't born yet, we really can't use him"? I mean what if you had Lex Luthor running around the planet Krypton before it was destroyed? That wouldn't bother you a bit?

There is literally NO REASON to do this, other than to continue the legacy of kicking dirt on Cyclops and anything associated with him.
    Yes I can. It's called judgement. I can hear a change and go "wow, that's a great idea, really helps the story and I'm behind it 100%" and hear another and go "wow, that's really f***ing stupid, what the f*** are you guys on".

14. JP

JP Smelly

You just used the Ultimate Universe as an excuse for certain changes. Well, Havok is older than Scott in the Ultimate-U.

I can't.. and get this, it's because.... I HAVEN'T SEE THE MOVIE YET. I know, I know. Pretty crazy.

Really? I see it as a way to pay homage and create a link to Cyclops in a movie that is obviously unable to use him.

Well in this case, and this my my own opinion, your judgment is bad. To target all the changes in the X-Men movies and use it as a reason to suggest Fox should stop making them and then praise Marvel despite them making many changes as well is nothing more than hypocritical. You know that WB makes changes as well, right? And Sony, etc.

15. ReallyCoolGuy

You can't have X-Men without Cyclops. Cyclops is the X-Men.

I know they may exist, however, in my 20+ years of reading Marvel, I have never once read an X-Men title that did not include Cyclops... even when he left the team, he was still featured in the story.. (and, seriously, how can you have Havok and not Cyclops?) I don't believe that Cyclops is not in this film.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  16. JP

JP Smelly

You really don't read many X-books, then.

17. ReallyCoolGuy

I have a stack of hundreds sitting in my closet. Every single one has Cyclops in it.

18. JP

JP Smelly

Then you specifically buy the ones that happen to feature Cyclops.

19. Jennifer Walters

Jennifer Walters Attorney at Law

Nope. There are tons of time in the main books alone he's not present. And by main books I mean Uncanny. Cyclops may be an important X-Man, but he's not the X-Man.

There are plenty of times where Storm leads in his stead throughout history, hell even times where Havok himself leads the team. Like JP said, you just don't read many X-Men comics.

And right now he's only really in Uncanny, and the not in continuity anymore Astonishing X-Men.

The other main X Books feature him in every other issue supporting roles.

20. JP

JP Smelly

Cyclops is one of my favorite characters, but a comment like "He's THE X-Man", a comment which I've actually heard before, is just so ignorant and outlandish. It defeats the purpose of the X-Men all together.

21. ReallyCoolGuy

Haha... no, but like I said... I know they exist (without him). But, per chance, I have never personally seen an issue without him... So, to me, Cyclops is the X-Men..

22. Jennifer Walters

Cyclops is literally in my top 5 X-Men, but I'm not going to be butt hurt if he's not featured in something with the X-Men in it or with their name on it.

23. Jennifer Walters

Wow. You must have HUGE gaps in your collection then, because he's been on some long ass sabbaticals from the team before.

24. Deaths Head II

Deaths Head II The Sequel

In the 70s, Cyclops, Jean, and Professor X were called the heart of the X-Men. That's how I like to view it. At least this film has Professor X.

PS: It's funny because all three of those characters were killed off in X3.

25. Jennifer Walters

Eh. Jean is always dead. Xavier's pretty much a *****ebag now, and most of the team hates Cyclops.

Things have changed. That was the 70's.